The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Is anyone watching the Disney+ Star Wars Ahsoka series? The Shadow Warrior episode was magnificent. To see an old friend “brought warm feelings to my heart.” (Yoda, AOTC)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I dunno, I'm starting to think new Star Wars just isn't for me. I keep finding the writing really weak, especially if legacy characters are involved, and Ahsoka is no exception. I really wish they'd stop splitting their storylines up between shows, I keep being confused and then a friend says "oh yeah, that changed in episode 5 of the Boba Fett show". I mean, the Season 2 finale of Mandalorian and the Season 3 premiere are so disjointed that they literally don't function as a cohesive narrative going from one to the other back to back. (I can't really go into detail without spoiling, but they are flagrantly contradictory.)

Sorry, I know I'm supposed to be talking about Ahsoka. I only watched the pilot, but the new Sith pair were the most generic villains I've seen in years. Protagonists make moronic decisions to keep the plot moving, the morals are paper-thin (after seeing Andor spend its whole season analyzing the nuanced nature of loyalty, bureaucracy, propaganda, raised values, and the complexity of human motivations and mentality, seeing Ahsoka try their hand with "How can they still be loyal to the Empire?" "It's not loyalty...it's greed" was like pivoting from F. Scott Fitzgerald to a 5th-grade remedial essay.) I also didn't watch Rebels back in the day so any references or plots carried forward from that show mean nothing to me.

This show was kinda the final straw, I'm probably not going to watch any new Star Wars stuff going forward unless there's a very generous factor in its favor.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:26:51 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on September 19, 2023, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on September 19, 2023, 06:17:52 PM
I dunno, I'm starting to think new Star Wars just isn't for me. I keep finding the writing really weak, especially if legacy characters are involved, and Ahsoka is no exception. I really wish they'd stop splitting their storylines up between shows, I keep being confused and then a friend says "oh yeah, that changed in episode 5 of the Boba Fett show". I mean, the Season 2 finale of Mandalorian and the Season 3 premiere are so disjointed that they literally don't function as a cohesive narrative going from one to the other back to back. (I can't really go into detail without spoiling, but they are flagrantly contradictory.)

Sorry, I know I'm supposed to be talking about Ahsoka. I only watched the pilot, but the new Sith pair were the most generic villains I've seen in years. Protagonists make moronic decisions to keep the plot moving, the morals are paper-thin (after seeing Andor spend its whole season analyzing the nuanced nature of loyalty, bureaucracy, propaganda, raised values, and the complexity of human motivations and mentality, seeing Ahsoka try their hand with "How can they still be loyal to the Empire?" "It's not loyalty...it's greed" was like pivoting from F. Scott Fitzgerald to a 5th-grade remedial essay.) I also didn't watch Rebels back in the day so any references or plots carried forward from that show mean nothing to me.

This show was kinda the final straw, I'm probably not going to watch any new Star Wars stuff going forward unless there's a very generous factor in its favor.

Baylan and Shin aren't Sith.  They actually have complex motivations and histories that are expanded upon in the later episodes.  Frankly, I wish they, along with Thrawn, had been the villains of the sequel trilogy.  They're among the most interesting and complex characters we've gotten from Disney Star Wars.  Baylan in particular reminds me a lot of Count Dooku.  The villains in this show make the First Order look like a bunch of chumps.  At this point, I'm more invested in them than the heroes of the show. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 02:33:59 PM by F-14 Ace »