The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I have a question (The Secret of Saurus Rock)

PWO Kristy

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hello,

Did Jeff Bennett do the voice of both Petrie and Spike? Or was Rob Paulsen there?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Kristy!

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure Paulsen was Spike, but I'd wait for someone that actually has the film to verify that. :)  The only one I think that Spike didn't have a credit was LBT 5...but a lot of new voices were added there so maybe it was overlooked.  :unsure:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
No! It's true! Jeff Bennett DID do Spike's voice in LBT 6! It's the only time he has voiced Spike and Petrie. Dunno why Rob Paulsen didn't do Spike's voice as normal in #6. Maybe he was unavailable or something. 2 very talented voice actors though!  :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Rob Paulsen I believe was busy with another project at the time, so Bennett filled in.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

PWO Kristy

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I have another question. And I thought I'd ask in the topic that I already made. Cera is called a Three-horn, Littlefoot's called a Longneck, and Spike's a Spike-tail. What are Ducky and Petrie? Duck-bills, right? What about Petrie? Are they just called Flyers?

Thank you very much, guys!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
erm...there's a bit of a mix really. In #1 Ducky's a "Big Mouth" and from #2 onwards she's a swimmer. But strangely, in #5, the saurolophus breeds of dino are addressed as "Duckbills". Grandpa Longneck called the carcass a Duckbill and Mr. Threehorn promptly adds "Everyone knows how stupid Duckbills are!" I'd personally go with Swimmer as this has been used mostly but others may disagree. As for Petrie...he's a plain ol' flyer!  :^.^:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Littlefoot's right. Duckbills for Ducky and Flyers for Petrie.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Well I found out that Littlefoot's mother before Ducky said she was a Big Mouth on the first LBT said Swimmer. I had to double check and Littlefoot's mother does say the first name of the kind of Ducky is. Swimmer.

-Threehorn

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think that "swimmer" is more of a general term describing all the dinosaur kinds who were closely linked to the wather (e.g. Anatosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Hadrosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Saurolophus, Edmontosaurus etc. etc.) and perhaps even sea-creatures like Mo. Same as "flyer" refers to all kinds of flyers no matter their species.
Bigmouth I think is the term describing Ducky's kind and ONLY Ducky's kind. A third term to be found in LBT 5 would be duckbill. This I suppose refers to all the swimmers who sport a duck like bill, which means most, but not all of them.

Longneck

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hmm, not sure if it really counts, but I do remember Hyp referring to Ducky's kind as "Duck-feet".  I think that's the only time it ever pops up, and is probably more of a joke by teenager than an actual name.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hyp calls Ducky "Duck-feet" in the 2nd song of LBT 3 "When you're big". Can't really see a why Hyp would call Ducky that except to tie in with the musical rhythm. That's the only reason I can think of... :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Perhaps so, but actually duck-bill or bigmouth would have worked out just as well in the song. Maybe he was making fun of Ducky having large (duck) feet?
The main reason for me to think that this may have been his intention are a few LBT audio plays which were issued in Germany which tell some nice LBT stories that got nothing to do with the plots of the movies. In two of those stories Ducky is being teased for having big feet. It sure is a rather weak basis to found the assumption on though.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm... in the portuguese version of LBT I'm quite certain Littlefoot's mom says "swimmers" to Littleffot when she is explaining why each type of dinosaur only did stuff with their own.  But when Littlefoot finds Ducky she tells him she's a Big Mouth, I don't know if the translation is correct, but I guess we should stick with original and since Ducky calls herself a Big Mouth in LBT 1 then her kind should be called Big Mouth's for respect to the original movie  :unsure:
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Bruton the Iguanodon

As for Petrie...he's a plain ol' flyer!

He sure is! :)

But about Jeff Bennett apparently voicing Spike...I think it was a credits error. The fact that Bennet is credited twice individually makes me think it was a mistake. I know Bennet is a talented voice actor so it's not entirely impossible...but until we get any official comfirmation, who knows?

Bruton the Iguanodon

No! It's true! Jeff Bennett DID do Spike's voice in LBT 6! It's the only time he has voiced Spike and Petrie. Dunno why Rob Paulsen didn't do Spike's voice as normal in #6. Maybe he was unavailable or something. 2 very talented voice actors though!

But is this true? I know Jeff Bennet is a master of voices, but I never would have guessed he voiced Spike in this film, anymore then I would have in 7 or any other film. Except 4, in which I think he did sound different then usual when he said Ducky's name. But I can't actually remember since I haven't seen 4 in almost 10 years; I just read something abut him sounding like the aflac duck   :lol

But 6 was Spike's doom movie . :(  The 1st half is like a ticking time bomb for him and Ducky. There's a lot leading up to it i his case: he has to cross a chasm and is scared to death to do so, nearly gets impaled by a tooth from Saurus rock, gets his tail caught in the log, and it all leades up to, as we hear...well, a horrble injury that happened offscreen that I can't pretend didn't happen, and don't think I can't not blow out of proportion

Rob Paulsen I believe was busy with another project at the time, so Bennett filled in.
Nick

Source?

Oh, and I found this:

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Bad_Luck

Rob Paulsen is credited here...

Also, when I asked about this someone said it was likely a credits error. Well, I'm very curious.

UPDATE: someone apparently changed the page so Jeff Bennet is now credited twice. I wonder if the fact that this seemed to come mere hours after I made this comment was a coincedence or not... :wow

Well, until someone provides an official source I'm just gonna have to assume it wasn't Rob Paulsen. So if I watch 6 in the future and I notice something's off about Spike's voice...well, I'll know what's up with that.

And by the way, who the heck voiced Spike in movie 1?  :huh:

Bruton the Iguanodon

And there was something about Spike in 6 that was off...he had brown eyes instead of purple during the part where he's crossing the chasm...but that has nothing to do w/ voice actors  :huh:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Why can't Jeff Bennett voice Spike? It's not unusual for voice actors to take on the role of more than one character. Slightly off topic, but look at someone like Seth MacFarland. He voices loads of characters from Family Guy including 3 of the main ones (Stewie, Brian and Peter). What makes you think that Jeff Bennett being credited as Spike would be a mistake? Dunno if anyone else hears it but I think Spike sounds slightly different in 6 compared to his other features. Anyway, the line up is as follows: Frank Welker voiced him from 2-4, Jeff Bennett in 6 and the Rob Paulsen in 5 and then from 7-13. Rob Paulsen isn't featured anywhere in 6, even uncredited. If multiple sources have Jeff Bennett tagged and the movie itself says so, then why would you think otherwise? I think it would be a glaring fault to get voice actors mixed up. A letter or two as a typo maybe but an entire name and casting role? Highly unlikely.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dunno if anyone else hears it but I think Spike sounds slightly different in 6 compared to his other features

How so? He sounded exactly the same to me. What was different?  :huh:

And where did you read that Frank Welker voiced him in 2-4? And...who voiced him in 1?

We don't have an official source saying Paulsen didn't voice Spike, do we?

Nick

Again, where is your source for this?

Bruton the Iguanodon