The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I have a question (The Secret of Saurus Rock)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
OK mis-info'ed on my part there. Frank Welker only voiced Tickles in #4. Thought he voiced Spike for some reason. Never mind!

Anyway, Jeff Bennett is credited as Spike in #6. Check it out:

Casting Credits for LBT 6

If Jeff Bennett is credited for taking the role of Spike, why would you need something saying that Rob Paulsen didn't voice Spike? It comes to the same conclusion just taking the back door rather than the front. That's like having to prove that Rob Paulsen didn't appear as the Terminator. He didn't because someone else did.

Spike doesn't really make much vocals in #1 so whoever offered those few grunts, giggles and squeals he does make (which are few and far between) clearly the option was taken not to credit them.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dunno if anyone else hears it but I think Spike sounds slightly different in 6 compared to his other features

When and how?

And you're right about 1, usually he makes his grunts and giggles throughout the film but his role in 1 was "early installment weirdness", I guess.

And why, if he voices Spike in every single other film, would Paulsen suddenly be replaced by Bennet, only to return for 7?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Your guess is as good as mine. Could be any number of reasons. Timetable clashes? On holiday? Working on something else at the time? Don't forget that Rob Paulsen gets around when it comes to voiceovers. Both movies and animations. I doubt there was anything personal about him not voicing Spike in #6 but the fact remains he didn't for whatever reason. The only way you'd get a straight answer would be to ask the guy yourself.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well Nick had said this:

Rob Paulsen I believe was busy with another project at the time, so Bennett filled in.
Nick

But he hasn't provided a source... :huh:

Dunno if anyone else hears it but I think Spike sounds slightly different in 6 compared to his other features

Again, when and how?  :huh:

Bruton the Iguanodon

On the wiki, an editor named Frosted Apple wrote me this:

(The credits are all we have to base this on though. It could very well be a typo, but there is no proof. For all we know, Paulsen could have been busy that year, and had Bennett fill in for him.)

Huh? How can the credits be the only thing we have to base this on?

OK...I'm gonna go see what Rob Paulsen had going on in 1998 that may have been more important...(goes off to check wikipedia)

(Returns from checking wikipedia)

I found this:

He has also appeared at animation industry-related events such as the World Animation Celebration in 1998,

But that's not much proof. It also says this on the page:

but Spike was played anonymously in the original The Land Before Time.

I'm still bugged by this!  :confused

I also looked on IMDB...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0667326/

Admitedly he was involved in 2 disney direct-to-videos that came out that year, though neither came out around the time LBT 6 did.

This is something we should definitely investigate on!

Oh, on another topic did any of you watch Nostalgia Chick's review of her top 10 worst disney direct-to-videos? Here, I'll post a link for those who haven't.

http://www.criticswatch.com/reviews/nostal...-disney-sequels

She does a great job, huh?  :smile

Keep up the good work, Lindsey!

Bruton the Iguanodon

So was Bennet Spike or not? And if so, why? And Littlefoot 1616, you haven't answrered this:

When, and how? The only time I thought he sounded different was in 4. If there was a film where Spike had a diferent voice actor, I would think it would be 4.