The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lucky Find?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, the strangest thing happened ten minutes ago. I was getting off my bus from school when I found a Gamestop/EBGames gift card lying on the floor (its a video game retailer for those unfamiliar with it). I gave it to the bus driver, and she said that she would ask her boss if I could keep it. Of course, if their's a value on it, I might not get it back.

In your opinion, what should I have done? Should I have kept it for myself, not told anyone, and checked for a value myself? Did I do the right thing?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I feel you did the right thing to hand it over. If that had been me I would have done the same thing. I would have had a guilty conscious afterwards if I had kept it for myself.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I would have checked to see if it had any money on it online.  If it had money, I would've turned it in.  If not, it's a piece of litter and should be treated as such.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The right thing is to turn it in, how many do though, very few.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This reminds me of what happened today. I was walking into the lunch room when I saw a twenty dollar bill on the floor. I was hungry, and I decided to keep it. I'm having second thoughts on it now that I have read this topic. I don't want to give it to the school, because it will probably go to the sports teams, and the players are jerks, except my friends who are on them. I obviously won't be able to find out whose it was, because the entrance to the lunch room is extremely crowded every day, especially around the time I found this bill. I'm thinking about putting it towards an extracurricular I am a part of.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I had been you, I would've kept it and spent it on food since I was so hungry.  Then I would have turned in a different $20 bill.  There's no harm in that. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How would you find the person of the $20 bill?  Do many people look at the money in their pocket or wallets and memorize the serial numbers in case they should drop the money, doubtful.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It doesn't change the fact that you do the right thing not because it will necessarily make the situation right, but because it's right to do that thing, no matter what the outcome.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Cash is different...you can't find the owner of that.  Gift cards you could potentially find the owner...color of the account, amount left on it, etc.  You did the right thing.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ya did the right thing by turning it in.  Keep in mind: 'Tis to give is to receive.  Karma comes around ten-fold, and sooner or later you'll be rewarded for your actions :^.^:.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If it's raw cash, not in an labeled envelope or somesuch like that best to keep it, no way to find the owner in most cases.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yeah, turning in the card was a good thing because someone could be looking for it. As everyone said, it's harder to find the owner of real cash. Anyone can claim it as theirs if you ask around...thou...same with a gift card I suppose... :unsure:

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
If i found a gift card like that, i'm afraid my greed of video games would overcome me and it would be extremely tough to do the right thing. But you did, and that's all that matters (i think).

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I just found out today that I am getting to keep the card. The bus driver said nobody claimed it yet, so if it stays that way tomorrow, then I get the card back.

Even cooler, she whispered in my ear that the amount was $60!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm guessing that whoever lost it would probably have given up looking for it by now. The most likely reason why he/she hasn't claimed it yet is because he/she doesn't know where it ended up.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Isn't that like the price of one game these days???

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile