The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What's your top 5 films of 2010?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you. now lets get back on topic..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
This will be my final post to WeirdRaptor. You expect people to respect your opinions yet you continuously attack others for having an opinion different from you. I've seen you on the Michael Bay boards over at IMDB, attacking anyone who says they don't like him or professes their hatred of his movies. So why is it okay for you to attack someone else's likes/dislikes but when someone does it to you, then they were the ones in the wrong?

Adder's right: You need to learn to respect others' opinions. If somebody liked Avatar, big friggin' whoop! So what?! What do you have against it anyway? How would you like it if I said Transformers or Lord of the Rings isn't worthy of mention?

Grow up. And that's all I've gotta say. Sorry, Nick, I just had to get that off my chest.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ummmm...Let's get back on topic.

5. Despicable Me.
4. Zombieland. This came out earlier but I saw it in 2010.
3. Land of the lost. I know this came out earlier but I saw it recently.
2. Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Saw it recently.
1. Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Amazing movie!

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^
Is Chronicles of Narnia worth seeing? I've been pretty disappointed with the first two and I compare them to the books...

Haven't seen a lot of movies but:

1.Made in Dagenham was pretty interesting, a lot of feminism and it was something that mum and I watched.
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
3. How to train your Dragon; my cat IS Toothless.  Mozart must have gotten an acting career which he hasn't told us about..

That's about it...

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Update

1. Belka and Strelka - Space Dogs
2. The Edge (Kray)
3. Lourdes
4. Micmacs ‡ tire-larigot
5. Le Concert

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
1. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
2. Kick-Ass
3. Inception
4. Toy Story 3
5. True Grit

Tron: Legacy gets an honorable mention.  It would show up on a top 10 list for its visuals, but its story and script keeps it from being in my top 5.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If you didn't like the first two narnia films, I highly doubt you'd like Dawn Treader.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,Jan 18 2011 on  01:11 PM
^
Is Chronicles of Narnia worth seeing? I've been pretty disappointed with the first two and I compare them to the books...

Haven't seen a lot of movies but:

1.Made in Dagenham was pretty interesting, a lot of feminism and it was something that mum and I watched.
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
3. How to train your Dragon; my cat IS Toothless.  Mozart must have gotten an acting career which he hasn't told us about..

That's about it...
Depends on how you look at it. I didn't read the books so I didn't know what to expect when I saw the movie, maybe that's why my opinion is different than yours. You can see it if you want to. But I recommend it to any Narnia fan. It's amazing!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i've read all 7 books,, and the problem with the movies is that they came out post LOTR, otherwise it would have received and reviewed better. they're alright from seeing them, but they're not great films imo. for one if you've read the book, you know that the good guys win..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ I get that Nick22, and I respect your opinion, I'm just a Narnia fan that liked the movies that's all. -_- No worries. Maybe I'll read the books sometime. But, I'm getting a little off-topic.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ its quite alright LBT. I recall that they were making 5 films in all, not sure they are still going to do that. Let me be clear, I liked the books, and the movies stayed close to the tone and feel of the book. they were good films, and they kept my interest.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
for one if you've read the book, you know that the good guys win.
Don't they in nearly every book that is turned into a movie? I know the Narnia books as audio book adaptations. LOTR of course is a movie so popular and (in my opinion) simply so well done that it is a very high scale for later movies to measure up to. But I think that a movie needn't be as good as LOTR to qualify as good generally.
I haven't seen The Voyage of the Dawn Trader yet, simply because there is nobody with the time to come along to the cinema.
I suppose their concern with the movies was to focus on the books involving the Pevensies but I wonder how they might change "The last battle" in case they are going to make that one. The book received some criticism especially for what is perceived as sexism (Susan no longer being considered a "friend of Narnia" because she apparently has developed love interests). I like the books but they are coming with so prominent a message that one can hardly ignore them.
In this context I kind of regret that another film series based on books is unlikely to be continued. Phillipp Pullman wrote the trilogy "His dark materials" as a kind of response to "The chronicles of Narnia" and those books too (granted, again I know them as unabreviated audio books only) are very interesting. However, the first movie they made ("The Golden Compass") did not succeed well in the US (though it did elsewhere). Which is likely to be partly due to the fact that some religious groups protested against it (while other religious people like the archbishop of Canterbury actually encouraged people to read the books). In any case the one movie they made already had been watered down quite a bit, presumably to make it more acceptable, but in the process I think it lost some of its meaning. Kind of censorship based on religious views and adhered to by economic interests I'm afraid... anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i agree to a large extent malte i was simply infering that it would have been received differently if it come out say in 2000 (before Harry Potter and LOTR) and had the moviegoers to themselves, perhaps the films would be viewed differently. obviously the Chiristian symbolism is very strong within narnia, thats been pointed out at length.in chronological order The Magician nephew was the first book, although the Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe is the most famous.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The topic title says top five daddy not top one.

1. How To Train Your Dragon

2. Tangled

3. Toy Story 3

4. Secret World Of Arrietty

5. Shrek 3D

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
My top 5 movies of 2010:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

2. Toy Story 3

3. Tangled

4. Shrek 3D

5. Yogi Bear

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That's a good list I saw Yogi bear and it's okay not the best.