The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blocking ads

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Apr 22 2016 on  07:54 PM
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 22 2016 on  04:51 PM
Well yes adds can be annoying but sites need ads to pay for it.
In the immediate I agree but I really feel like this is a sign that the monetization system needs to somehow evolve. Basically one of three things can happen:

1) Status quo: Some people adblock and are shamed for it. These people justify adblocking in their own way but others tend to frown on adblocking. Business as usual.

2) Adblocking becomes so common that ad revenue is no longer viable for many content providers. A new "web...what are we on? Web 4.0" may need to evolve out of this.

3) Adblocking becomes illegal like you pointed out and this opens a RIDICULOUS can of worms in terms of human/ constitutional rights and per-country laws. As a Canadian, we're still pretty relaxed on anti-piracy laws (don't seed excessively and nobody cares). I can't imagine the Canadian government passing an anti-adblock law in the foreseeable future. This is by far the scariest option to me because it suggests that ad producers have more rights than consumers.
Canada is sounding better and better all the time.  If only I didn't hate cold weather so much...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I recently learned about a Chrome browser extension called Ghostery.

It's an extension specifically designed to let you use websites that don't function properly with adblockers turned on (like my Wired example earlier in this thread). Basically, if you use the extension, the website you're on doesn't know you have an adblocker so it functions normally. You, however, can continue blocking ads as normal.

It does a lot of privacy stuff as well, for those of your interested in protecting online privacy a little more.

I don't know if it's 100% effective but it's worked on every site I've tried it on so far.

Check it out!

[EDIT] Cool! With Ghostery running and configured to block "All Advertisers", I can completely disable my other adblocker extension. Ghostery is doing a much better job of working invisibly than my old ad blocker.
If you're having any problem with your adblocker being detected, check out Ghostery. When you tell it to block all ads, it seems to have zero problems with site compatibility so far. :) Note that you'll probably still need a good old-fashioned adblocker for Youtube videos and similar stuff like that.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay I'll give this a chance tomorrow and see if I like it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The latest trend I'm seeing of Youtube content creators to get ad revenue from people who adblock is a clever, sneaky workaround:

They simply mention their sponser/ad in their video directly, rather than use a separate, automated system. Here are two examples that are doing this:

Extra Credits, sponsored by Audible. You can hear the ad near the beginning of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H97gCCJFXA

Linus Tech Tips, sponsored by a number of companies. This example is for Crunchyroll. Their ads are always at the end of their videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkiZdSBux9E

The nice thing about how Linus does it: Once you get used to the fact that all of their videos are nothing but ads at the end, you can simply stop watching at that point. For just sitting back and letting autoplay do its thing though, this is a bit of a pain. For the most part, I can live with this because it's very simply to get around.

ddmkm122

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I try not to, but, my dad apparently has ad-blocking software on his Kindle Fire HD, which I sometimes use!

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well some YouTube partners need the ad revenue to make a living off of.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 17 2016 on  12:03 PM
Well some YouTube partners need the ad revenue to make a living off of.
The previous 2 pages of this thread address both sides of this issue. :)

At this moment, yes, I agree, but I'm not convinced that's a sustainable revenue model. See my earlier posts for details.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Vimeo has an alternative to ads called Tip Jar. Instead of having ads playing in the video and the content creator getting money that way, instead people can decide if they want to tip the video or not.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 17 2016 on  04:06 PM
Vimeo has an alternative to ads called Tip Jar. Instead of having ads playing in the video and the content creator getting money that way, instead people can decide if they want to tip the video or not.
That method of revenue generation makes a lot of sense to me. It seems consistent with the nature of the content being provided.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Deviantart seems to have jumped on the anti-adblock bandwagon now with an annoying banner that pops up demanding that users disable adblock and allow their malware-infested ads to load.  The hilarious irony is that you can just block the banner with your ad blocker.  This seems to have triggered a backlash from the community.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why wording your ads correctly is very important.  Here's one someone got on YouTube.

For some reason youtube is advertising to me electric devices of a personal nature. I didn't think such adds where on youtube.

What it was.

I clicked the link out of morbid curiosity, turns out they were curling irons, but the add suggested something else and I have never seen hair irons shaped like that.

Man, what a way to mess up.