The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I am saddened by you, television series.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LOL.  If they added Ali permanently, there would be no way for them not to develop a relationship between her and Littlefoot.  That would be so great.  However, her herd is like 50 longnecks.  I doubt the valley could support all those longnecks for long.  Heck, in LBT 6, Mr. Threehorn was upset that there was one extra longneck for fear of running out of food. :rolleyes: Still, I gotta admit that I would love to have Ali be a permanent member of the gang, certainly over Ruby.  -_-

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The entire herd would not need to move there.  Ali's mother could just decide to move there till Ali is older, then they can rejoin their farwalker herd, or at least that could be her mother's plan.  Maybe they could have a close call with a sharptooth or a herd of sharpteeth that could make her mother make that decision.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
If you ask me, i can't pretend Ali to be a regular travelling companion with original team. She is not very suitable for frequent adventures, and more like home-sitter. And besides, i don't like idea of replacing Ruby. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If you ask me, i can't pretend Ali to be a regular travelling companion with original team. She is not very suitable for frequent adventures, and more like home-sitter. And besides, i don't like idea of replacing Ruby.
I still haven't watched enough of the TV-episodes to have a final opinion of it and I have not watched the particular TV-episode which includes the return of Ali.
Based on LBT 4 this interpretation of Ali is a bit surprising though. One need not like Ali of course, but considering her a "home-sitter" may be kind of unfair. As a member of a migrating herd she may be less of a home-sitter than anyone from the gang.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, i'm picked the words uncorrectly i suppose. I mean, that it looks for me, that Ali would soon be tired from adventuring far from her herd.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This may be true. Perhaps living with the herd all the time made Ali more ready to submit to rules set by others. At least I have the impression of the Old One, the leader of Ali's herd, having a great degree of influence over all her followers. I don't know how much she would tolerate insubordination or questioning of her rules.
Then again, Ali does make up her mind to go adventuring with Littlefoot very quickly. She mentions her doubts, but is very ready to follow Littlefoot the moment he mentions Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike (which may suggest that some kind of jealousy may have been an important motivation for Ali). We don't know if Ali was in any way punished for leaving the herd on her own accord, but I don't think so (we don't get the slightest hint in that direction). I guess we know just too little about Ali and her circumstances of life to draw many conclusions about her character.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are some things about Ali that are unknown, something can be guessed at or inferred from what we do see and know.  She's likely not a very stay at home type since she's been wondering and walking all her life.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was using the word "home" in the meaning of the "family"/"herd". Living in the Mysterious Beyond, always wondering from one place to another, after your home transformed in some dark and misty place... That could really teach a young longneck not to go far from your kind. It looks like, Ali had no other friends, before she met Littlefoot, so i suppose, she decided to help him without delay because of that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Still seems odd that the herd she was in, and Tippy's also, seem to have just the 1 female capable of having children.  Though that is another topic, so many females and so few kids.  

I don't think Ali's really seen any non longnecks till she got to the great valley.  It seems, to me at least, from the bits they have said or showed, that the dinosaurs in the mysterious beyond do not mix much with other dinosaurs that are not of their species.  Though I'm not sure if other places like the great valley, those may be the same or they may be more like the great valley, or a mix.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It seems, to me at least, from the bits they have said or showed, that the dinosaurs in the mysterious beyond do not mix much with other dinosaurs that are not of their species. Though I'm not sure if other places like the great valley, those may be the same or they may be more like the great valley, or a mix.
This is what LBT 4 suggests and to some degree LBT 8 as well (though the Spiketails don't come across as racists their herd consists of spiketails only).
But what about the farwalkers in LBT 7? They seem to be a very mixed lot. It appears that both mixed and not mixed herds exist in the Mysterious Beyond. Perhaps it is a regional matter. In the lands east of the Great Valley (where Littlefoot and the others originally come from) racism seems to be still prevalent and the same goes for the direction Ali is coming from. However, it looks like in other places "just as nice" as the Great Valley racism has been overcome to some degree. It is suggested in LBT 7 that the farwalkers are coming from a colder region, that is from the north if we assume the Great Valley to be located north of the equator or south if the Great Valley is located south of the equator. In any case racism doesn't seem to keep dinosaurs in that region from joining the same herd.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could well be certain areas are more racist then other areas, and other areas just as nice may be different depending on where they are.  The Great Valley seems to be located roughly in the middle of the racist, non racist areas.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think having Ali as a permanent member ogf the team would not be as big a problem as some. She's willing to go wherever littlefoot goes, she has a real connection with him. After ewatching lBT 4 again, its become obvious to me that Ali was created as a 'love interest' for littlefoot. If you ever saw the short promos for LBt 4 on cartoon network when it first came out on TV..it went "Littlefoot's got a girlfriend! Littlefoot and Ali sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G".. etc etc etc.. Its funny how you notice these lirttle things as you get older.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is one of the benefits of fan fiction, you can sometimes do things better then those who worked on the product did.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
never been much of a writer of fan fiction though I know several posters here have tried it.. and While you do have a point, I think fans tend to go over stories in far great detail than the writers themselves. We obsess over every detail, and thus may spot things that the writers may have missed or not considered...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Feb 18 2008 on  09:09 AM
That is one of the benefits of fan fiction, you can sometimes do things better then those who worked on the product did.
The problem is, that it won't be an official story. -_-

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Does it really matter that it is not official, not really since you can consider it an official story to yourself.   Just like you can ignore a movie or the tv series and say that movie I ignore.  Universal won't have you arrested for that nor send a hit man after you.   Most folks can't think for themselves though, though that is another topic.

They could have someone who looks over things and makes sure everything fits and there is no continuity problems nor deviates from established canon, though few folks bother with that, focusing only on the current movie, or issue,  tv episode.  Though if they do bother it does lead to a better higher quality product.

Have you tried writing fan fiction?  Perhaps you would be better at it then you think.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Littlefoot's got a girlfriend! Littlefoot and Ali sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G"
Huh, did they make up scenes for a commercial that didn't appear in the movie? :huh:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, the promo simpy used small clips from the film, pics of Littlefoot and Ali together, nothing new was created for the promo, they simply used clips from the film..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There wasn't any scene such as the one you described in LBT 4 though.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know there wasn't any scene like that.  its what American kids like to say to each other if a boy likes a girl "(Boy and (girl) sitting in a tee K-I_S-S_i-N_G. First comes love, then comes marriage, here's comes (girl) with the baby carriage"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: