The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Exams

Petrie · 30 · 4533

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey Arvens!  :angry: 51% is a 2-2 so that's about a D/C grade so I can be happy with that! PMSL!  :p Anyway, coz this particular unit was 60% artefact, 40% exam, I've managed to work out I got a weighted mark of 72% which is a 1st (A-grade). If I managed to get a copy of my artefact, I'll post it up in my Fanart section just for you to have a gander...need to convert it though coz I did it in Coral Draw 11 and that saves as a really weird format.  <_< I've have it up later once I've been into uni.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I actually like Multiple choice, because I'm very good at memorizing facts, and I usually do very well on multiple choice exams.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Memorizing facts for a multiple choice exam does not mean one has learned anything except they can give you the answer from a bank.  Writing out your answer proves that you can explain your response and not just tell me that number fits that question because it just does.  You need to indulge me that you've gone further than just memorizing an answer.

That's why I'm really not in favor with standardized testing methods because most of them are multiple choice with very few points to elaborate and explain your reasoning.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess this very much depends on the student. I agree that if students can formulate an answer to a question it really makes certain that they know their stuff. However, if a student does well in a multiple choice exam, that student may do well in an exam with questions to be answered in full sentences as well; some students can do well in a multiple choice test, but not in an exam on the same topic in which they have to formulate the answer.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wasn't saying I wouldn't use multiple choice at all.  I wouldn't have much of a choice since like I said, most standardized tests are mc and the students are going to have some familiarity with them, whether it works for them or not.  That's just the way those tests are.  They've balanced them out more recently, so students will have to be able to write out answers and explain their reasoning; I see that as a better indicator of learning.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. yeah, but it's always a relief when you look at a multiple choice, your first impression is that you won't have to think much or tire your hand.. but you always end up getting stuck between two choices... I only hate when that happens in maths tests...

Btw, in some movies I see students talking about their "SAT's" what are those? Like college acceptence exams? The real thing I can't understand is the numbers they give.. 1600 or 980.. woah.. those are just too big, I was wondering if you could enlighten me on this subject =p
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The SATs are exams that are given to kids at 3 set stages of their school life. In the UK it's at years 2, 6 and 9. There are 3 subjects (Maths, Science and English) and there are 2 papers on each. They dont really account for anything but they are used in governmental statistics or something along those lines. They're graded by levels (1 being lowest and 8 being highest). Year 2's aim for between levels 1 and 3-4, 6th Years aim for between levels 3 and 6 and Year 9's aim for 5 to 8. They came into play around the mid 90s coz I never did my Year 2 SATs but I did do them in Year 6. I got levels 5, 5, 6 at year 6 (Lvl 6 was in English) and I got Levels 6, 6, 7 at Year 9 (again the 7 being in English).

I'm also pleased to announce that I've passed my 2nd year of Uni!  :^.^: Just got my final year to go which included a fully planned and working artefact and a 10,000 word dissertation!  :( Can't wait! :blink:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'll write my exam in medieval English literature in a few hours. It is the first of three exams to be taken until next wednesday, so please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Ooh, sounds hard.   Best of luck.  That doesn't sound like a topic I'd want to study. :P:

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile
Pulling this topic from obscurity because everyone must have good exam stories today, even 16 years in the future.

:thinking
りゅうすけ