The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Contest: Win a custom designed LBT Patch!

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Due to some unexpected things and because I want to give as many people as possible the chance to enter here, I'll add one more week where I'll accept entries. This will be the last time I do this, after this week is over, I won't add even another day. :D

And should I ever do this again, the given time will be one month right from the start without any changes.

[align=center]Submission are OPEN

Until 07.10.2015, 0:00 am CEST
[/align]

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

After many delays, I can finally enter my entry for the contest. First my internet was dead for over a week and I wasn't able to search for much needed references and then a series of failures made me start it again from scratch. I was struggling to finish this at all (although I don't consider this to be finished at all). I know this contest is not about quality at all. Still, I had my very own little challenge which I failed. I tried to draw the Gang from memory only. I've never had success doing this but I had a pretty good picture of what I wanted to draw in my mind. But on paper that doesn't work for me :( I had to partly use references and eventually ended up referencing the full characters with little changes. That alone is disappointing for me. I was certain I could do it this time!
Well, at least I think I know what my problem is now and how to possibly fix it. I will definitely try this again eventually!

Anyway, maybe I should explain the idea behind this entry instead of ranting about my drawings skills (or the lack thereof). When RockingScorpion announced this contest, I was really exciting and it didn't take me long to come up with ideas (I had two others but this one was the best and easiest to do). Something I (and I daresay about every Land Before Time Fan with knowledge of the existence of those mysterious deleted scenes) would probably die for to see... I thought it would be really funny to have the Gang go on strike :lol At first I wanted to have them holding signs in the air but then I realised that I should use something more... LBT-ish so I used rocks to get the point across. The letters are a bit messy quite on purpose though the placement of these could have been a bit better. I was originally gonna have Ducky at the very right of the picture standing behind the words "yep, yep, yep" with a really angry expression but there was just no way I could squeeze her into this messy and badly organised drawing anyway. She would have ended up being way too small to give her enough detail to express emotions. She would've just been a messy bunch of lines looking nothing but awful. I oversized Petrie on purpose (just imagine he's a bit closer to the camera and it actually works!) to prevent the same happening to him. Littlefoot, Cera and Spike neither have the correct size in relation to each other nor are they drawn in the same perspective (as a result of my excessive use of references). If I try this again, I will try to fix this issue... somehow. I just can't help criticising myself, sorry :angel
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
4 hours left, everyone. ;)

If you made something for this contest, post it now, and if you're not finished but want to enter, you better hurry. :p

There won't be any more time added, so yeah. ;)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
[align=center]Submission are CLOSED[/align]

And this is final now. I'll announce the winner as soon as possible. :)

And thanks for everyone who participated. :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
First off, sorry I missed the deadline! I forgot to check what the time difference was, and ended up on the wrong side of it :rolleyes:
I decided to post this anyways, just for fun :D So here goes!

Well, I wrote a sort of dissertation on Shorty a while ago, which is located here:  http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...wtopic=6691&hl=
I'd really like to know his whole story, so I drew him during his journey with the baby longnecks seen in LBT 10. I drew this at 3 AM though, so the babies ended up being more tinysaurus sized :lol
I had another idea involving the bullies from the third movie, but it slipped my mind when I sat down to draw. I will probably draw it eventually anyways :D

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm currently taking a little break from all the photography work I've been doing today so far and I decided to use the time to finally wrap things up here. :)

But before I announce the winner, I'm going to be evil and make everyone wait a bit longer (you can of course skip the text but that's up to you).

I had a lot of fun kicking this thing off and it was a fun experience - sure I made some mistakes but this was the first time I ever did a contest of any sorts, and for that I'm satisfied with how it went.

I really wanna thank everyone who contributed here, some really nice pictures came to be during the contest. And even when I said that I only give (a more detailed) feedback when asked, I feel like I should say a few words about every drawing that was sent in.

Malte279: The whole concept behind the drawing is done with a lot of care. Just so many elements in the picture contributing to the meaning of it. I gotta admit that even when some things in my fanarts contribute to the overall piece, it is never as detailed or has that much of thinking behind it as we see it here.

somerandomfangirl: I really like the idea of seeing more references to the first movie in the sequels. And even when I said that it doesn't matter in the contest how good one drawing might look next to another one (and of course it still doesn't, I gotta say that you did an excellent job here.

Dalekdino: (for the contest I picked the third drawing you send in out of personal choice but this is about both of them)
I agree that it would've been nicer if everyone in the Gang would've gotten the chance for a proper goodbye. Especially when keeping in mind that they do see him again after all.

Ducky123: Wow, that was unexpected. :D
But the topic was about what we missed and would like to see in the movie, so I just gotta say thhe message behind the drawing is spot-on for pretty much everyone in this community. Good one. :D

DarkWolf91: We talked about your submission via PM already but it won't keep me away from at least giving you feedback. :D
Getting information on secondary or background characters coming from an official source is always a nice thing, however, when a show or movie series doesn't tell us everything, we as fans just have to take the matter in our own hands sometimes. You did an excellent job here, and when it comes to the art style I just have to say that I'm really digging this. :)

So..now it's time to finally announce the winner, huh?
But I gotta say, you guys made this decision anything but easy - and that's a good thing. :D

The person who whon this contest hit a nerve with me with the submission. It's just something I always kind of missed to see in all of those sequels. There is even a small and funny animation about this topic on deviantart. Instead of just ignoring this fact completely in the second movie and not paying much attention to it in general, I really would've liked to see some references to Littlefoots mother after the first movie.

[align=center]The winner of this contest is

somerandomfangirl[/align]

Congratulations! I really like what you had in store for it. :)
Send me a pm telling me which patch design you want and I'll go and commission it as soon as possible.

To everyone who entered: I also said I would give out signature versions of the pictures to you. Just send me a pm also or tell me here, whatever you like best.
Darkwolf91, you're getting this chance at well. You might have missed the deadline because of an accident but I still think you deserve this.

There is also the option (same thing goes for you, somerandomfangirl) that I change the text on the pictures from "100% character approved" to "Gang Of Five Fanart Contest". Let me know if you want that change or not.

One last thing: I will create a journal on deviantart as well featuring all the drawings that were send in plus a link to your deviantart page or something else if you don't have a DA or want me to link to another place where you put up your pictures. That I would need to know as well.

I...guess that's all I have to say about this (I think).
Once again, thanks everyone for entering here, it was a really nice experience.
The only problem I have with it is that I can't hand out physical patches to every single one of you. You rock, seriously. :D

I'm not sure when or even if at all, but I still finish this post like this:
Until next time. :)

RS

edit: of course I forgot to mention something. xD
Pictures of all the available patch motives can be seen in the start post. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Congratulations somerandomfangirl! You really deserve this :yes
Your image captured just the kind of emotional moments which I really love in the land before time movies and along with the wish for more references to Littlefoot's mother in the movies (a wish I share) it also shows the sticking together in this very emotional matter of the three who remain of the original herd.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Congrats to somerandomfangirl! It was really neat to see everyone's take on this contest :smile

And thanks for including me in the signature version! I appreciate it :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Congratulations somerandomfangirl. :DD

I can see why your entry has won :)

I'd definitely love to see another contest being hosted some day :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
First of all, sorry it took a few days for me to reply to this. School was pretty horrible this week in terms of workload.

Secondly... wait, I won? :wow Wow, thanks! I'll get back to you as soon as I can about the patch. :DD

I gotta say, people had some wonderful ideas, and it was really interesting to see everyone's take on this. From emotional and deep to light hearted and funny, it was great to see such a variety. And I think it was a great idea to get the fanart community of the Gang of Five together with this contest. So, I want to just say a big thank you to RockingScorpion for hosting this and well done to everyone who participated!  :smile

I hope to see this happen again some time. It was pretty fun to be a part of, and it got me drawing again, which is an achievement in itself.  :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion