The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Unleashed

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
On Febuary 17 2009 , a week after I first joined FF.net, I published a Land Before Time action/adventure story titled The Land Before Time Unleashed, in terms of the lead character Littlefoot stepped out of the spotlight,giving someone else a chance to take center stage, that character was Ethan Sullivan,a teenager living in Redding,California and also had an ancient artifact turned weapon called the rift sword.

The story for TLBTU was pretty basic, Ethan goes through time and ends up in the Great Valley, there he met Littlefoot and the gang and the rest of the LBT characters and he encountered enemies, and not just Sharpteeth but his own nemesis, Andrew Jones.Despite numorous critisim the story was a hit and I wrote three sequals for it so far(I plan on writing eight), the first, The Land Before Time Unleashed II Redemption was a big hit, I also wrote a prequal, however before writing any of the sequals or the prequal, I pulled the original TLBTU story off of FF.net

But now I have just posted the first chapter of the rewritten version of the original TLBTU and while it is way different from the original version, I made changes that (for the most part) will pay off, and I will post the first chapter on the GOF soon.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wrote a review, but I'm not sure you'll like it.

EDIT: I'll just post it here too (it's been edited slightly).

Alright, looking pretty good so far! I must say I'm glad you rewrote this story, since it was a good concept even when it was first posted, and the only things that really brought it down were the bad spelling and grammar, it's incredible shortness, and the fact that the dialog was basically stolen word for word from my story. So yeah, I'd say this is a serious improvement.

I pretty much agree with Enigma criticism-wise, but I'd like to add that the first sentence he (or she, I do not know) brought up also could've used some fragmenting, like this:

“Ethan, its 7:00 o'clock! Hurry up! You're gonna be late for school! You still have to eat breakfast!”

So yeah, just work on the punctuation a bit. Use some more commas, and make sure you're using the right punctuation mark at the right time.

Story-wise, you're doing pretty well, too. Once again I find that Enigma has already identified most of the problems I would have pointed out. Still, I have come up with a few things:

1. The first paragraph. It's just not doing it for me. I mean, if this universe's history had been integrated in LBT I would understand why you would want to keep the historical descriptions to a minimum, but when you're trying to create an original storyline you want to maximize the amount of detail, so that the audience might better understand your vision of the fictional world. I mean, the Sword of Time still isn't really explained at all, you never really explained why the name was changed to the rift sword, and it's history is vague at best. How can you just leave it at "There was a cruel empire in 4000 B.C. that was opposed by another nation with a time-controlling sword used by a greedy dude who sent it into the future before he died"? I can easily see a huge plothole right there actually: why didn't the oppressed nation just use the sword to go back in time and kill the warlord when he was a child or something? And, if the empire was so evil, why was the oppressed nation's hero obsessed with greed? There just not much there, and I feel that you could do a lot better. Continuing on, we find that the sword appeared in front of a teen on a street in California in 1997 (chalk one up to destiny). So he trains with the sword (no detail there, either), until a "time rift" (detail?) took him suddenly (that's two for destiny). Before he dies, he apparently gives the sword to a kid named Ethan.

Uh, am I the only one who'd love more detail? I mean, there's no way that's an adequate explanation for people, right? Yeah, so you really need to work on the whole backstory thing. Actually, this line of thought brings me to my second point. (By the way, you refer to 4000 B.C. as "the dark ages". The dark ages were actually between 800 and 1300 A.D.)

2. Detail. Seriously man, detail. I mean, it's okay if you wanna leave stuff vague, like the intro paragraph, but you can't just give us enough info to make us wonder "Wait, how'd that happen?" and then just leave us hanging. It's just not cool. Same goes for the wording of the story. Give us more adjectives, similes, metaphors, allusions, something more. This story deserves that much.

3. Dialog and Vocabulary. I'll start with the dialog. Yeah, I know I've hammered this to death, but it still needs work. I mean, it's not necessarily bad when you view the lines by themselves, although "That's how we ganstas have it out on our turf!" was ridiculously cliched. It really doesn't get more bland than that. It's the way you string it together. Here's an example:

“Ethan Howard Sullivan I got a call from the principle saying you started two fights today!” she yelled

“No reason to be so ticked off Mom. Besides they started it I was simply defending myself!”

“That's fine with me!”

That was a conversation between Ethan and his mom. It just feels so ridiculously bland. Try spicing up your dialog with more colorful language or a catchphrase or two.

As for the vocabulary, which kind of goes along with detail, I can only advise you to make use of synonyms and use words that sort of paint a mental picture, instead of just giving a bare-bones description.

4. The storytelling. This is perhaps the biggest point you must focus on. My biggest issue with all of your stories is a very simple fact: very little of it makes any sense. I've already mentioned the first paragraph, and Enigma's mentioned a couple more, but there are still many other instances scattered throughout this chapter. Why does Xander act like a huge d*ck without any prompting at all? And why does Ethan immediately retort with a threat of his own without thinking/saying "What the hell?". Yeah, it's implied that Xander at least has passing knowledge of Ethan, but that doesn't really explain much. Also, the passage in question makes Ethan seem like a saint or something, which really makes no sense when you consider his earlier aggressive retort and his actions later on.

Another example would be Andrew, the main villain. There is, and has been, zero explanation for this character. All you say is that he has a vendetta against Ethan. Uh, why? I mean, if you're gonna just say, "Oh, yeah, and this dude's a villain." (which is a pretty poor way to reveal a major character, I might add), you might as well just say why. '

There are countless other examples of this problem in this chapter (including pretty much all of the LBT stuff), but I've already said this a hundred times in my other reviews, so I won't bother explaining them all.

Here's the bottom line: clean it up, or it won't be a good story, and certainly not the frickin' cool story this idea deserves. I know you can do better, and this is stuff from Creative Writing 101. It's not like it's hard, and if you do these things I've pointed out I guarantee you'll be much happier with your end result.

Despite all the problems with this story, I look forward to the next chapter.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
it was an ok review (darn I've had a crappy day today).

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry, I'm in an English mode today, and I tend to spot more stuff than usual. Still, I stand by the review.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
well I hate to say it but I'm pulling the TLBTU Rewrite and the rest of my stories in that series off of FF.net,somehow I felt the TLBTU series was doomed from the beginning,I'm not doing very well on writing the TLBTU Rewrite ch.2 or TLBTU5 and its going very slowly so tomarrow I'm going to bid farewell to the The Land Before Time Unleashed series.  :cry  :(

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
for those who thought what I said before was true, you've been psyched.  :lol

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Here's the link to chapter 2 of The Land Before Time Unleashed Rewrite:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5426174/2/The_...leashed_rewrite

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter 4 of Re:The Land Before Time Unleashed is up but unlike the other chapters this one is freaking huge.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5426174/4/Re_T..._Time_Unleashed

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am sure anyone who reads this will likely have one question in mind at this point: Why are you replying in a thread that has been stone-dead since 2009?

Mainly, to give my definitive thoughts on this series of (now lost) stories, my old shame.

Let's start on why I wrote the blasted thing in the first place. To put it plainly - escapism as a way to cope with a rough patch in my life. I had just rediscovered The Land Before Time at that point, after having long forgotten it. At the time, I was still coping with being dragged from the panhandle of Florida to the Keys against my will two years prior, along with struggling in school at the time (both academically and socially, the latter I decided to wash my hands of completely) and a deep depression. Feeling nostalgic, inspired by other fan fiction I had read (perhaps a bit too much) and wishing I was anywhere else, I wrote the very first version of The Land Before Time: Journey Across Time (then called 'The Land Before Time: Unleashed) one afternoon in late 2008.

It was quite different to what would eventually be put up on FF.net. For one, it was a shameless self-insert (as in, I was the main character. No Author Avatars in sight) and it was written from a first person perspective in what I can now only consider a pale and nearly insulting emulation of the writing style of British author Herbert George Wells (whose works I was quite the fan of at the time, still am to an extent.)

The plot was still very much the same and downright plagiarized another fan fiction written by one Jedi472 to such a shameful degree so as to strip my own story of any unique touch it could have had.

The three sequels followed, all written in this fashion, all with the plot going completely off the rails and all objectively as rubbish as the original.

Of course, when I first joined FF.net, I saw these stories as a good thing to throw out there. But I thought they required some changes, so I rewrote it with the perspective changed to third person and with the protagonist changed to that of a chap named Ethan Sullivan (The surname being a reference to Sullivan Bluth Studios), who would go on to be among the worst written Gary Stu's in fan faction

The stories themselves (the prequel and rewrite included) are irredeemably terrible, the concept was something that would better fit a novel with chapters, but I wrote them like one-shots, not splitting anything into chapters - square peg, round hole. If that wasn't bad enough, older versions of the first story didn't even have spacing between the paragraphs, making it two giant walls of text.

The villains suffered the most, the primary antagonist - Andrew Jones was one dimensional and forgettable, the fact that he was a child made him very difficult to take with any grain of seriousness. The fact that I demonized the Spartans (no, I don't know why they were there either) in the first is a bit ironic, had I written it today, I would have treated a portrayal of Sparta or any Greek state with far more respect; not to mention they wouldn't be antagonists.

The mythology I tried to add to the series was contrived and generally forgettable. Plus, I went too far with the crossovers, making the concept something it was never intended to be.

Bottom line, these stories were a good stepping stone and they drove me to get better at my craft...but I'm glad they met a fate similar to many silent films of the 1920s.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:04:30 PM by Belmont2500 »

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

The plot was still very much the same and downright plagiarized another fan fiction written by one Jedi472 to such a shameful degree so as to strip my own story of any unique touch it could have had.

Hey,  just wanted to pop into this super old thread and say there's absolutely no need to feel bad about any of your writing at all, and that I'm sorry i was such a...

*checks notes*

An absolute tool to you about it. It was rude and insensitive and my work was hardly any better at all (and was CERTAINLY not the most original thought I've ever managed).

My bad on taking this long to apologize, by the way, it took me a while to find both the forum and then this thread. =)