The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Resizing Avatars

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi there Gang! :)

Some of our members have been suggestion a small rule change when it comes to avatars. We didn't have any set rules for avatars before, but it may be necessary now. Some people have such slow connections, that they have issues loading up certain pages. When images are really big, the page sometimes won't load completely, so they have to load it again, and again, and again... We could fix this when we all come together and fix our avatars. The only thing you'll have to keep in mind is the file size of the avatars. We do not want this to exceed 250kb.

Watch this video to see how you can check your current avatar's size, and how you can resize your avatar using different programs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGyP9DPI960

In a week from now I will go through our active members to check if the avatars are correct in file size, but I will also check their signatures. If any of the images is bigger than 250kb I will send you several PMs asking you to change it. If no action is taken, I will change the image for you. There may be consequences for ignoring this call and the PMs.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This is a good idea, actually. I only hope this won't encourage our members to use exactly 250kb avatars, because that's already too much. A tiny, 100x100 sized picture should NOT be bigger than 30 kb, really. There are many people in the world who still have slow internet connection, and we shouldn't discriminate against them, right?  :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Also using jpg or gif format rather than png or bitmap drastically reduces the filesize. The few who are using png or bitmaps for their avatar should convert it to jpg or gif format. It takes little effort for what is usually a great reduction of filesize and loading times.

Edit: Sorry, I notice I just repeated something already said in the video :oops

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ok, the week is now over and I'll be sending PMs to anyone with avatars or signatures that are too large.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There, I went through our 15 pages of members and checked everyone's avatar/signature. I have sent pms to those who have too large an image as an avatar or in their signature. If there are any questions regarding those pms, just send one back :)

I'm happy to say that I only had to send about 6 PMs and removed about 25 signature spammers (selling paper bags, computer repair etc.)

Now I shall rest.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I'm getting frustrated. How do I upload an avatar from my photobucket?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You need to get the direct link from your picture's page. It should end in the image extension, such as .jpg or .gif

If it doesn't work, it's usually because the link is too long. In that case, just post the image here and I'll take care of it for you. Somehow there is a limit to the url that members can put in. Therefore I recommend using other services than photobucket.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
In that case Tinyurl might be usefull.Just copy the URL near to the "Make TinyURLl" button,click on it and it will make a much shorter version of the given URL.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,Aug 21 2013 on  02:33 PM
In that case Tinyurl might be usefull.Just copy the URL near to the "Make TinyURLl" button,click on it and it will make a much shorter version of the given URL.
Sadly enough that won't work, since the link has to end in an image extension (such as .jpg) However Tinypic can do that.