The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Business venture.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hello, WeirdRapor here. Well, a friend from work and I are attempting to fund a bistro which we're going to run, and hopefully become financially independent. I'm telling you all this because I am going to be busy with this, which is why my activity here has still been scant, even though I've been allowed to return. It's nothing against you guys, it's just that I'm freaking busy right now.

We're working on renting a vacant spot in the local mall which opened up just across from its movie theater. We're hoping to ensure customers via hungry movie goers.

We've already developed a marketing plan, menu, Specials nights (you know, taco night, meat loaf, ect.), and a point system worked out. Basically, for $2.00, our customers will be able to buy a Point Card. For each dollar, they spent at our 'Wonderfully Tasteful Bistro' (working title) they get a point. One point=$0.10. Then once they've worked up enough points, they can purchase a meal with the card instead of their hard earned cash. We're hoping to create more incentive for repeat business that way.

We're hoping to keep prices down as sanely possible, because we have another bistro in town to compete with, but that place can get...er, you may have to pay with your first born. Our means of competing will be that our food is better (we already have an excellent cook that's been with this project from the very start) but with the price being less by at least a 1/3 (we're shooting for 1/2 their price, if possible).

EDIT: Quite a read, I know, but once of the questions I'm trying to answer before it gets asked is "are you sure you're up for this". I know you're a great bunch who'll be concerned that I might be throwing my money at something that might fail, so here's a preemptive 'thank you' for the concern.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, another reason we're trying to rent that spot is because it was just recently a Diamond Dave's and thus booths, tables, chairs, and a kitchen.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Every business venture is a risk, but life would be unexciting without taking risks.  It sounds like, based on your description of the setting and location, that you and your friend have thought this out.  Now that popcorn and a coke are more expensive than the film ticket, perhaps folks would be more willing to "get their money's worth" of more filling food.  I've noticed at my local mall that there are several restaurants next to the movie theatre, and I've seen more people go to them than the concession stand.  So, hopefully this will work in your favor.  Good luck, and keep us updated whenever you find a moment :goodluck.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I will. We'll know soon enough if we managed to get the vacant shop.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
GOod luck, I hope it all works out for you.   :goodluck  I'm sure you'll be very busy indeed.  I hope you visit here now and then, when you can.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
As long as you're aware of the statistics of success rates of new businesses, and want to take a shot at it, go for it.  Sounds like you might have a good location.  If you can try to find out why the previous restaurant that was there closed.  Maybe the location isn't as lucrative as you think it is if one restaurant already failed at that spot.  Also, perhaps that kitchen isn't in as good of shape as you thought or its not comparative to what you need for a bistro.  Just some thoughts before you jump with both feet in on this.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeam, update: I got so wrapped up in the SOPA mess on here that I forgot all about telling you guys: we've opened. We've been opening since late November and business is has been alright, but not great.

We are definitely surviving because of theater customers, just as we thought we would.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds good. I hope you figure out a way to increase your profits.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So do I. Well, we've been open for only 18 days at this point, so we're still gaining a reputation, but we already have two families that are starting to frequent our spot.

We're getting wifi installed next week, so we're hopig to get customers coming in with laptops and then stay while at least ordering drinks.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hope for continued success! :)  Good to hear business hasn't started out all that bad.  Getting going is often the hardest thing to do.