The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Do not worry Petrie! I am here!"

Guest · 9 · 1437

Bruton the Iguanodon

I can't help but be a little annoyed with this line. It was a strangely maternal comment for Ducky to make, espicially seeing as she can't protect Petrie much better then he can protect himself---plus, he's always the one who ends up saving her.

To be honest, I think it would have been a little more endearing and accurate if it had been Petrie who had gotten that line. It would be nice to see Petrie being brave; I mean, this was in 4, before he had become overly annoying.  <_<

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What's wrong with Ducky being a little maternal? That's a normal trait among some female characters.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Mar 5 2012 on  06:56 PM
What's wrong with Ducky being a little maternal? That's a normal trait among some female characters.
 :exactly

So what if she was unable to protect him?  At least she tried, instead of being selfish or being mean and calling him a sissy :p.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well of course she wouldn't do that!

All I'm saying is that is was the producers shoving in a not-so-subtle Ducktrie moment that I think would have worked better the other way around.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^To paraphrase Cera: maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. I just like Ducky the way she is, such a lovely and caring creature. But I also would like to see Petrie doing the exact thing you said, if only once every few movies. Make the exchange of feelings more equal, so to say. Now, would it fit into 4? By the time of 4 the main characters' traits have been well established, so the authors had the opportunity, perhaps for the first time, to have a character significantly depart from his usual behaviour (Spike talking) and make the viewer notice it immediately. So, Petrie comforting Ducky wouldn't be out of place in the film either. But I still wouldn't like such a "Petrie moment" just yet. Maybe in a latter film. It's just my gut feeling.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Personally I consider it kind of in character for Ducky not to be the one scared. Ducky as an extremely curious character with so positive an outlook on everyone and everything that her lack of fear can sometimes even border naivety. Right after she hatches she almost climbs right into the mouth of a huge turtle and is snatched away in the last moment by her mother all the while she seems to be oblivious of any danger.
In LBT 5 it takes her a while to really recognize that a flyer did not catch her out of kindness when she fell from a cliff after she (once again in apparent ignorance of danger) wandered off while marveling her surroundings.
Blant viciousness from the bullies in LBT 3 seems to be difficult for her to grasp since it seems to be just utterly against her basic concepts of the world.
Similar perceptions of the world may have been at work when in LBT 4 Ducky tries to restoring one of the nightflowers almost getting killed in the process.
This kind of perception of the world doesn't make her a character very likely to be fearful until danger is really jumping right at her (even though LBT 5 also gives examples of her showing the regular fears of most children when she is scared of the Big Water respectively because of the absence of her mother). In combination with her affection for Petrie (and perhaps the fact that she is likely physically stronger than him even though that difference would not be much of a difference to most predators) Ducky's reaction makes perfect sense to me.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I am bothered by this line cause it was an unecessary one and if it was exchanged between the two it should have been Petrie who got it.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I assure you, this was in no way a drop to them having a romantic relationship. Ducky says it because she is a maternal and protective character and would say that to anyone who was scared out of their wits like Petrie was.

It would absolutely NOT work the other way around because Ducky is the nurturing one, not Petrie. This was just another moment for her to let loose her inner "mommy" by reassuring someone who is scared, and I'll say, needy.

Bruton the Iguanodon

It would work too. Ducky is also very timid and it would be nice to see Petrie comforting her for once. After all, he is the one to usually save her, not the other way around.