The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dumb laws

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The one's from my hometown were hilarious :lol I'm going to give my opinions on whether i think some of them are False, as i don't pay much attention to many Laws These days except for the ones that matter.

Ohio

It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday. (I think this is Fake, but why would you be fishing for a Whale in Ohio in the first place?)
      It is illegal to get a fish drunk. (Now, that Law should only apply to people are Drunk to begin with.)
      The Ohio driver's education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car. (If this was true, Everyone would be cursing words at everyone else for honking horns at them :lol )
      Breast feeding is not allowed in public. (Might be true, actually.)
      It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house. (Also may be True)
      Owners of tigers must notify authorities within one hour if the tiger escapes. (Yes that's right, don't let anyone know there's been a Tiger on the loose for an Hour.)
      No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July. (Then they can just name Sunday "National day to commit crimes without being busted" day)
      It's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license. (You're not technically hunting Mice, only catching them :lol:
      Items left on a tree lawn become city property. A young man was fined for removing an item from a tree lawn even though he had the owner's permission.
      You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street. (Hmm, i should try that someday)
      It is against the law to roller skate without notifying the police. (The Police needs to know when you're rolling on skates?)
      A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him. (Let's give an example: "Hey cop, sink your teeth into that pit bull and shut him up")
      Throwing a snake at anyone is illegal. (What state DOES allow this??)
      Riding on the roof of a taxi cab is not allowed. ( a.k.a. Free Cab Ride)
      You may not run out of gas. (Then we might just need about enough Jails to fill maybe half or so of the population of Ohio)

Note: I edited in my thoughts of the Laws in the quote, so that is not the original version.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Yesterday in my American Indian History class, the instructor was listing the powers a sovereign nation has, one of which was to make and enforce laws; for the laws to make sense is not a requirement. She gave an example that immediately made me think of this thread:

In Minnesota, it is illegal to dance with a loon.

Oh well, there goes my weekend. :rolleyes :p :lol

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Well, I found these amusing.

It is illegal not to drink milk.
It must be hard to be a vegan in Utah.

It is illegal to wake a fireman when he is asleep.
But what if it's an emergency?

Breast feeding is not allowed in public.
I haaaaaaaate this law, I haaaaate this law  :anger . That's a violation of rights, ya know! *grumbles*

You may not ride a bicycle without having both your hands on the handle bars.
I like this law! It should be everywhere!

(Mixed laws)

*It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.
*You may not tie an alligator to a fire hydrant.
*You may not step out of a plane in flight.
*Shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.
*sqeeeek* :smile

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Omg, I remember these, they were hilarious indeed XD

*You may not step out of a plane while it's in flight (But....this is my stop)
*It is an offence to push a live moose out of a moving aeroplane (But....but....but!)
*It is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose (Hey! I'm turning him into a man!)

From Texas:
*The entire Encyclopaedia Britannica is banned, as it contains a formula for making beer at home (:lol )

*A Kentucky law states that burglary can only be committed at night

*It is illegal in Idaho for a man to give his sweetheart a box of chocolates that weighs less than 50 pounds

*In Chicago it is illegal to eat in an establishment that is on fire (But...I haven't finished my pie yet!)

*In Florida, it is illegal to have sexual relations with a porcupine (Don't ask *shifts eyes* :lol )

*In Baltimore, it is illegal to take a lion to the movies (But, the Lion King is on!)

*In Kenosha , Wisconsin it is illegal to have an erection in public. Even if you have clothes on ( :blink: )

*In Alberta, Canada, there is a city law that states that any person being released from prison must be given a handgun with bullets, and a horse so that they can ride out of town (Oh....hell....yes!)

I has more I'll share later on :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*In Alberta, Canada, there is a city law that states that any person being released from prison must be given a handgun with bullets, and a horse so that they can ride out of town (Oh....hell....yes!)
As a guy from Alberta, yep, that's true. :p

Well...I'll pretend it is so I can tell people I'm from the Wild West.  Yeehaw! :D
 :lol  :p

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Feb 7 2010 on  12:51 PM
As a guy from Alberta, yep, that's true. :p

Well...I'll pretend it is so I can tell people I'm from the Wild West.  Yeehaw! :D
 :lol  :p
lol, awesome mate, very awesome indeed :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Feb 6 2010 on  04:22 PM
*It is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose
This actually might be one of the more sensible laws on here. Moose can and do get drunk (usually off of fermenting fruit), and when one goes on a drunken rampage, it's not pretty. :blink:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Really? Hehe, didn't know that.  I guess you learn something knew everyday *pauses* I have got to stop saying that.....

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Utah

It is against the law to fish from horseback.
      It is illegal not to drink milk.
      Birds have the right of way on all highways.
      It's legal for restaurants to serve wine with meals, but only if you ask for the wine list.
      It is considered an offense to hunt whales.
      Throwing snowballs will result in a $50 fine.

1. Seriously, who does that?

2. Gee, I haven't had milk in years.  I'm surprised they haven't arrested me over this.

3. Yeah, tell that to all the motorists who have made them roadkill. :rolleyes:

4. Fair enough.

5. How can we break that when there's no ocean here?

6. Gee, I have snowball fights all through winter and haven't been fined yet. :D

Okay, who's the idiot that came up with these? :P:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*shifts eyes* Don't look at me! :lol

I have some more to share!

Tenneesse:
*Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, a man must walk or run in front of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

*In Memphis restaurants, it is illegal to give any pie to fellow diners. It is also illegal to take unfinished pie home. All pie must be eaten on the premises.

South Carolina:
*Every citizen is obliged to carry his gun to church

Nevada:
*Everyone walking on the streets of Elko is required to wear a mask

Minnesota:
*Women may face up to 30 days in jail if they impersonate Santa Claus

Massachusetts:
*In Boston, it is illegal to take a bath unless one has been ordered by a physician to do so

Maryland:
*In Baltimore, it is illegal to wash or scrub sinks, no matter how dirty they get

Iowa:
*In Fort Madison, firemen are required to practice for 15 minutes before attending a fire

Indiana:
*Monkeys are forbidden to smoke cigarettes in South Bend

Illinois:
*According to state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is "American"

Idaho:
*Boxes of candy given as romantic gifts must weigh more than 50 pounds

Georgia:
*In Quitman, it is illegal for a chicken to cross a road

Connecticut:
*In Hartford, it is illegal to educate a dog

Colorado:
*In Pueblo, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits

California:
*It is illigal to cry on the witness stand in Los Angeles courts

*In Pasadena, it is illigal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss

*It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale

Alaska:
*While it is legal to shoot bears, waking sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited

Alabama:
*It is illigal top wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church

:lol

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 6 2010 on  11:13 AM
I like this law! It should be everywhere![/orange]

You wouldn't be saying that if you couldn't use both of your hands, like me...

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: SouthPawRacer,Feb 6 2010 on  08:20 PM
Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 6 2010 on  11:13 AM
I like this law! It should be everywhere![/orange]

You wouldn't be saying that if you couldn't use both of your hands, like me...

Hm. Touche.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I know that in New York City, beanshooters were once considered illegal weapons.  :blink:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
There's this one law from California that once existed: "Two trains cannot be meet on the same track when coming from opposite direction." Yes, really.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
At least it makes sense. Complete and total sense.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
True... It makes one wonder just what happened in order for such a law to ever get made, though. That's one railroad operator who royally screwed up...
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haven't shared this one yet!

Georgia:
* In Quitman, it is illegal for a chicken to cross a road

Well, at least we now know the answer to that joke "To break the law" :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Feb 7 2010 on  06:53 PM
* In Quitman, it is illegal for a chicken to cross a road
My question on that one is, how do you tell the chickens? :confused Besides that, how do you charge a jaywalking chicken? :p Fine it a week's feed? Lock it in the chicken coop? Or send it straight to the electric chair stove? :P:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
lol, I know.  I don't know why they would do that, like my other one I put up before:

*Monkeys are forbidden to smoke cigarettes in South Bend

:lol:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess they didn't try the just say no campaign on the monkeys to get them to stop smoking?