The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anonymous Rex RP

Pterano · 176 · 15187

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So I've long been a fan of the Anonymous Rex series by Eric Garcia. The basic premise is that dinosaurs didn't die out millions of years ago, but survived in secret, eventually evolving (or devolving perhaps) down to humans' size. They exist into modern day, but go around disguised as humans. They have their own laws and government, and have strict laws against revealing themselves to humans.

However, not all species of dinosaur survived the extinction, and there are only 16 in the modern world. They consist of the following (though I'm still tracking down three of them):

Velociraptor
Brontosaurus
T-Rex
Hadrosaur
Iguanodon
Diplodocus
Ornithomimus
Allosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Triceratops
Coelophysis
Compsognathus
Carnotaur

The trilogy follows the exploits of Vincent Rubio, a velociraptor private eye, and I thought that a general plot we could start off with would be a mysterious virus is starting to afflict major population centers, but the dinosaur Council soon realizes only humans are being affected. This naturally starts dividing the dinosaur world, with some being for simply letting the humans die off, while others are concerned there's more going on here than meets the eye, especially when evidence of a certain cult's involvement starts to surface.

Anyone interested? I figure this will definitely be open to OCs, though I'll probably be RPing as Vincent since I suspect I'm the only one on this site that's read the series. :p

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This sounds interesting :) I don't know the series though, hope that isn't a problem.

Hmm, guess I'm going to play as a hadrosaur...
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I read the first book years ago and liked it.  

I'd say you don't need to know a lot.  Basically what Pterano said.  When they are in their disguises they look exactly the same as a human.  The dinosaurs can tell who is really a dinosaur in disguise by scent.  Though as I recall there were to who didn't have the proper scene glands anymore.  One had them removed as part of some undercover or somesuch.  Another was a cop that Rubio encountered and lost his due to I think a wound he got in the Vietnam war or something like that.  From what I remember if a human is finds out the dinosaurs exist, sees one outside a disguise or figures it out, from what I recall of Rubio, they are supposed to kill the human.  I think I recall Rubio complaining to hiimelf about the straps being uncomfortable or having to redo them once.  They use straps to keep their tails close around their bodies.  Can't have a human with a scaly tail running around.  

Also as I recall I think some places exist where dinos can go around outside their disguises like certain floors of hospitals. I'd guess places away from towns or sealed off that the public may think are a nudist colony, nudist club, nudist hotel, ect.  

I'd have to think of the species I'd like.  Could be an interesting and fun rp.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Kor is right, Ducky123, you don't need to know the series too well, fortunately. :yes

Kor's remembrances are correct. :yes I'd also like to add that while humans have to be killed if they do discover a dinosaur, they also are not targeted by the dinosaurs either, and the Council preaches co-existence. It's also absolutely illegal for dinosaurs to use human weapons, which is why the Council is concerned this virus could be a new biological weapon, and if dinosaurs are using it for some nefarious purpose, it would need to be stopped.

Everything else he mentioned is accurate. They can move around in certain areas without disguises (for example, Rubio was taken to an island strictly for dinosaurs once), and it depends on the model you wear too. Rubio complained about his because he wore an older one, heheh.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm surprised I remember as much as I did.  

I think I may like a Velociraptor, not sure on gender yet, or other details.  

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Any what sort of character may interest you?

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
BTW, Kor, you said you read the first book. By first you mean the first published, which was Anonymous Rex, or the second published but first chronologically, which was Casual Rex?

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anonymous Rex.  I didn't read the 2nd since I know what happens to that one character, forgot his name and species, I couldn't read the 2nd book, being a prequel, in case I got to like him.  Just my feelings, silly I know.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ernie, his T-Rex partner, yeah. Well I have to say, I think Casual Rex is definitely the best in the series. Had a great plot, great characters, and nice sub-plots too.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Perhaps, but I don't want to get attached to a character knowing what happens to him.  So no prequel for me.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ahhh that's too bad. It was REALLY good but yes... I understand your concern. That actually happened to me regarding a character in that book in fact. Vincent's love interest in that was an expertly written character, but she didn't make it in the end... it was quite powerful, but really sad too.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't like to see well written fleshed out characters that you can get attached to die.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well hence I'm toying with the idea she's still alive. It WOULD be possible to survive what happened to her.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe with some part of her memory hazy.  That may explain why she didn't look him up in the first book, that happens after the 2nd one.  And he never knew.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, he thinks she's dead, and is still haunted by it, but I was also thinking circumstances may have prevented her from contacting him as well. She was associated with the antagonists at first after all (but she was more like their figurehead dupe, not knowing what they were really doing), and she seemingly died with the leader of the bad guys, but what if both survived, and the survival of the leader also has a hand to play?

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Could be interesting.  Is that the plot, or a sub plot?

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The leader surviving would be part of the main plot I think, and Rubio's learning of Circe's survival would probably be part of a sub-plot.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like both of those could work pretty well.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
This sounds pretty good, I wouldn't mind joining if you'd have me  :) I haven't read the books either, but you guys explained it pretty well. I'm a little confused about how the disguises work though, are they latex suits or holographic disguises? I tried looking up the books but it wasn't too clear.