The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The best and Worse of 2004

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, what were they, according to your opinion, anyway.

My list:

Best:

1. King Arthur
2. The Phantom of the Opera
3. Troy
4. Hellboy
5. Van Helsing
6. National Treasure
7. The Chronicles of Riddick
8. The Passion of the Christ
9. The Bourne Supremacy
10. The Punisher

Worse:

1. Sideways
2. Closer
3. Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Fahrenheit 9/11
5. Spider-Man 2
6. The Butterfly Effect
7. Alexander
8. Garfield
9. Shark Tale
10. The Aviator
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've only seen a few films and most were pretty bad.

Passion of the Christ wasn't bad, but I couldn't watch that again. :(  Shark Tale sucked...I hated all the stereotypical talk in that film.  <_<  Garfield, so-so....why weren't Odie and Nermal animated?  Oh yeah, it's cheaper just to get the real thing....

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I can understand why you never watched 'Passion' again, right off.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I was very sceptical after watching the Passion of the Christ. I'm not an atheist, but I have serious doubts about the way the things were shown in the movie. Everyone agrees that Jesus was a human (Son of God but still a human). I seriously doubt that any human would have lived to carry the cross anywhere after being shreded by whips the way it was shown in the movie.
I was disappointed by the fact that Troy almost completely ignored both, the mythological story and the historical facts. I would have prefered either of these options to the invention of a completely new and partly questionable story.
I too wasn't very fond of Harry Potter III. I'm afraid none of the movies will ever be a worthy match to the books, which is sad as even though movies rarely can become as good as a book, some come very close to it.
I think different about Fahrenheit 9/11, but I don't want to start a political debatte here which belongs to another place.

Another very good movie I watched in 2004 was "Der Untergang". If the title was changed in the English version it would be something like "The downfall". It is a movie about Hitler's last days in the bunker and it managed to combine extreme historical accuracy with an exciting story while keeping out exaggerated musical background which deprives many historical movies of their objectivity.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Shockingly enough, I have not seen a single one of the listed films... :blink:

I MUST get out more often...

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No comment.  I make it a point to stay out of religious topics.  -_-

(Also, why is it here?  Don't we have a topic on religion in After Midnight...where it actually belongs?  :unsure: )

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My fault I suppose. One statement made, a contradicting statement, next answer... The discussion became independent. Could you clip it off and put it into the after midnight forum Arvens?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I splitted the topic so the discussion can be continued in the After midnight forum where I would really like it to continue for I feel that we can learn something from it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks. I was relieved to see my posts weren't deleted.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I never deleted a message in this board nor would I ever do without a very good reason based not on opinions. Let's get back to the topic here.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. Anyone else have a best and worse list for last year?

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
There should be a rule where you can't talk about religious movies in this particular forum(Silver Screen). You know I am touchy about religion, so I have to say something.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, that'd be defeating part of the purpose of the "silver screen" section. You're supposed to discuss movies here, movies of any kind, including religious ones. If you don't like that, then don't join in the religious movie discussions.

Although, I suspect that you're probably saying this out of your dislike of me.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are many movies which have at least religious elements. If they are important for the movie I don't think mentioning it can be avoided in the silver screen, yet I absolutely agree with you to move the messages to the After Midnight forum if a discussion on that topic evolves.
Yet once a topic has been moved there, it should not just be be left there to die. You and Weird Raptor still haven't told me where in the bible you did find the passages you quoted.

And Weird Raptor, I seriously doubt that Jojo is saying this out of dislike for you. This time it is I who triggered the discussion (which I admit was a little out of place) and you both share the same view of things which is contradicting my own, so there is no reason for either of you to provoke the other one.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Come on guys...don't make it personal! Lighten up will'ya!

Funnily enough, I can't remember the majority of movies I saw last year! PMSL! :rolleyes: I'll name a few though in no particular order:

1. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
2. Kill Bill vol. 2
3. Shrek 2
4. The Incredibles
5. White Chicks
6. Garfield
7. Shark Tale

erm...can't really think of any more! :huh:

As for worst...

1. Harry Potter 3
2. Catwoman

That's about all I can think of...I don't really go to the cinema to see films I don't like. LOL  :^.^:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That's only because I can't find my Bible at the moment.

Sorry, Jojo, I'm just sore from last time.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We don't Need things to get out of hand like last time. What didn'yt you like about HP3 Littlefoot?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,May 17 2005 on  12:37 AM
Actually, that'd be defeating part of the purpose of the "silver screen" section. You're supposed to discuss movies here, movies of any kind, including religious ones. If you don't like that, then don't join in the religious movie discussions.
Unfortunately, because religion is also a personal, spiritual, part of oneself, and therefore, sensitive, it makes more sense to be put in After Midnight...that's why the forum was created. ;)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, because religion is also a personal, spiritual, part of oneself, and therefore, sensitive, it makes more sense to be put in After Midnight...that's why the forum was created.

Yeah, uh-huh, so if I decided to start a thread about the film "Ben-Hur", I'd have to move it to the After Midnight forum? Now that's just discrimination.

I'm sorry, but I just do not buy that any such action is necessary. As long as the discussion is kept on the film and only few posts about the actual religion itself are made, it should be good to go in THIS forum.