The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Happy Starday, Pangaea!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Aww, thank you all so much! :DD Really, it means a lot to me that you thought to wish me a happy birthday. :^.^:

My youngest brother and our cat Sasquatch are the only members of my family at home right now, and my brother had a summer art class that would keep him away for the morning, so I spent the first half of the day at the local aquarium, where I volunteer as an exhibit interpreter, where I could both enjoy myself sharing facts about the animals on exhibit, and receive birthday greetings from my friends on the aquarium staff. Oh, and in honor of the occasion and the setting, I spent the whole time wearing a lobster on my head :lol (a plush hat I had bought as a souvenir in Boston once), which was in turn wearing a dinosaur party hat I had dug out of a cupboard (an unused leftover from a dinosaur-themed party our family had held years ago). I received a great many amused grins and strange looks from visitors, and the aquarium staff loved it. Upon telling my supervisor my plans for the day, and informing her that I had not yet decided which local restaurant to visit for my birthday sunch (supper/lunch), she made the perfect recommendation: Red Lobster. I was, of course, bamboozled that I had not thought of that myself (especially after one or two other staff members later made the same suggestion). So after my brother came to meet up with me after finishing his class, that's where we went, the lobster hat (and its hat) still on my head. We had an excellent meal, made even better by the fact that literally everyone we met who was working at the restaurant that day completely loved the hat. My brother and I had planned to hit the nearby movie theater to (re)watch How To Train Your Dragon 2, but our lunch ran a bit long, so we just headed straight home, where we baked a triple-layer dark chocolate fudge cake with chocolate frosting and toasted marshmallow inter-layer filling (modified from a recipe I had found online). Due to the complexity of the recipe and the fact that I took a nap that afternoon due to being incredibly tired, we didn't get around to lighting candles and eating the cake until about 9 PM. Our mom and sister (each of whom had also called earlier to wish me a happy birthday) joined us via speakerphone to sing "Happy Birthday" (the most off-key rendition I think ever heard in our family, :p due to all three participating singers being in separate parts of the U.S. and thus having difficulty keeping their voices synchronized). The cake was very tasty, though I don't think the chocolate was quite rich enough to match the sweetness of the marshmallow filling. Afterwards, my brother gave me a spectacular hand-drawn birthday card, and I responded to e-mails sent from the respective iPhones of my dad and older younger brother (both of whom are in China right now and could therefore not communicate by other means).

Again, thank you, rhombus, bushwhacked, Ducky123, Kor, Chiletrek, Iris, jansenov, Malte, vonboy, and Chronicler, for the star day greetings. I really appreciate it. :) :smile

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like you had a great day overall.    :yes

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday, Pangaea. :)

Congratulations for your anniversary here. I too joined the GOF in June 2009... without making an account. :) I always remembered you for your great and detailed posts about dinosaurs. It's good to see you here in 2014.

Unfortunately the GOF isn't what it used to be. The Land Before Time is dead, and there's no more great animated movies about dinosaurs. In fact, I haven't seen any great animated movies since 2010. There are billions of humans on this planet, yet 99% of cartoons they create is of low quality. The GOF was a great place in the past, with tons of activity and discussions. I miss the good old times. :(

I wish you the best!

Thanks for everything! :)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'm glad you had a good time  :) The double hat combo sounds awesome  :smile

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds like a great birthday, in all honesty, and a belated happy one from myself! I'm so sorry I missed it. Was kind of out of it this past week with my surgery, but now that I'm back to pretty much full vision, I may as well add in my well wishes! :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for the ridiculously belated response, but I decided my mind would never be at ease unless I posted this.

I just wanted to thank you, Pterano and MurMur, for your star day greetings. I tremendously appreciate any and all birthday well-wishings, no matter how late they are. I am so utterly lonely and lacking in confidence these days that any gesture of friendship or good will offered to me is a much-savored treat. Thanks so much to you and everyone else who wished me a happy birthday. :)

Oh, for those of you who haven't seen them, I have now posted photos of me wearing the lobster hat and other quirky marine-life-themed accessories in the "Show us a picture of yourself" thread. Good place to go if you need a laugh. :lol

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Loved the picture! Hope you're having a great time.  :lol  :lol

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Happy belated birthday!

The hats amused me. Hope ya had fun!

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was literally just about to log off for the day when I suddenly noticed that today happens to be the birthday of a certain fellow member that I was good friends with years ago. Seeing how very rarely active you are these days, I doubt you may even notice this, but I figured I might as well just go for it anyway, if only for a bit of nostalgia.

Happy 29th birthday, Pangaea! :birthday

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Happy star day!  :) I hope that you had a great day, and have a wonderful year ahead.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Happy Starday, Pangaea! :celebrate

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi Pangaea! I hope you have a great starday, where ever you are! :birthday

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Happy starday Pangaea! Hope you have an awesome day!  :celebrate

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Seeing as you still visit from time to time (albeit very rarely), I might as well wish my old friend here a happy birthday, just in case you happen to see this. :celebrate

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow!  I don’t think I've even thought to check this thread since 2014 since I’ve spent so much time inactive and figured I shouldn’t expect any starday wishes.  I certainly didn’t think anyone would bother to update the thread this year.  Thank you all! :DD

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
have  any plans for your birthday Pangaea?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hello, Gang of Five!  :olittlefoot :CeraHAPPY :ducky :petrieooohh :^^spike

I don’t know how many of you are left who have been active long enough to remember me when I was on the forum (roughly mid-2009 to 2013, with a few scattered posts through 2015), but I’m back just for today to celebrate a very special occasion:

11 years ago today, in this very thread, one of my best (and most dearly missed) friends on this forum—Malte279—introduced me to the concept of "schnappszahl” birthdays. A schnappszahl is a number consisting of a single repeating digit, and the name—German for “liquor number”—references the fact that these birthdays are considered particularly special in German culture. Incidentally, I am roughly 14.5% German (on my paternal grandfather’s side), but more significantly I’ve always had a fascination with numbers, dates, and words that are noteworthy in some way, not necessarily in meaning but the structure of the number/word itself. I also love any opportunity/excuse to let my oddball flag fly by celebrating something out of the norm. (Did I ever share the childhood story about the time my siblings and I invented “Cheese Day”?) So schnappszahl birthdays appealed to me immensely. I’ve celebrated every schnappszahl birthday in my family ever since, and whenever I see a friend turning 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, or 111 (though I have yet to witness someone turning 99 or 111), I make sure to pass on the knowledge of schnappszahl birthdays.

So for my third schnappszahl birthday, on the first schnappszahl anniversary of learning about schnappszahl birthdays, I felt obliged to drop by and commemorate the occasion. Thank you, Malte279, wherever you are! I hope we can get back in touch sometime. :DD

Note: if Google is to be trusted, it’s more commonly spelled “schnapszahl” with one ‘p’, but Malte—a native German speaker—spelled it with two when he introduced the word to me, and I’m sticking with that. (I think the word looks better with two ‘p's anyway.)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Happy 33rd Starday to you! :D Hope it's great.
And welcome back again! How were you doing in last couple years?
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Happy third schnappszahl birthday, Pangaea! :Mo Yeah, I know, I don't really know you...but I do have an appreciation for little-known facts, and this sounds like a really interesting one! Thanks for sharing! Hope your birthday is great!