The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Karaoke-Style LBT songs?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I recently had a thought:
By listening to a song carefully, I can reproduce the music in a midi-format, or I can render it into a high-quality MP3 file.

Using this same technique, I could take a song, remake it as a midi, and simply don't write in the vocal tracks, allowing for a very nice karaoke-type piece of music, which allows the singer to simply play the music and sing!

Would anyone have an interest in having a collection of LBT songs in this style?  I have placed a link to an example:  my "Bestest Friends" midi with the vocal tracks muted.

http://www.freewebs.com/action9000/lbt.htm
I posted the lyrics there, too  :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi we have already talked about this via MSN. I think it is high time for a land before time webpage which includes the lyrics of all land before time songs. Pokeplayer already started posting song lyrics here in the Gang of Five. Having them on a separate page sounds even better to me than having them in a discussion forum where they may be harder to find and not in a particular order. A land before time music page with the lyrics, the midis, and the note sheets sounds like a splendid idea to me and I want to support your efforts as good as I can.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, I was referring to the actual music in this topic, not so much the lyrics.

I am wondering, is there interest in removing the vocals from the music, to enable someone to sing along with the music without having the original vocals in the music, like in the example file I provided.
But thank you Malte, I'll proceed my work on this project whenever I have time.  I do have a lot on my plate right now, though.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jan 24 2006 on  01:29 AM
Actually, I was referring to the actual music in this topic, not so much the lyrics.

I am wondering, is there interest in removing the vocals from the music, to enable someone to sing along with the music without having the original vocals in the music, like in the example file I provided.
But thank you Malte, I'll proceed my work on this project whenever I have time.  I do have a lot on my plate right now, though.
I've heard of programs that supposedly can do that -- remove the vocals while keeping all the rest but I've no idea how well they actually work.

I've also offered to make the lyrics topic a sticky as well, so it can't get lost.  ;)  If you want a separate section for hot topics about LBT we can do that too.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've heard of programs that supposedly can do that -- remove the vocals while keeping all the rest but I've no idea how well they actually work.

The answer is, "not very well".  They simply reduce or remove "standard" vocal audio frequencies from the mp3/wav/whatever file, in an attempt to make them less pronounced.  Now, there are two problems with this:

1) The results do Not remove the vocals; you can still hear the singer, though the clarity of his/her voice is usually distorted
2) This process also distorts the music that falls in a similar frequency range.
The overall result, is a "broken" sounding song.  It's almost like setting an audio equalizer to a really wonky setting in a vain attempt to remove some instrument/sound.  It just doesn't give clean results.  I have a program that came with my sound card, that is designed as a "karaoke" program; this is more or less what it does, and the results are much less than ideal.

If you want a separate section for hot topics about LBT we can do that too.
A seperate section for, say, LBT multimedia, or LBT-related projects, would certainly be interesting.  I like the idea; saves the concern of "spamming" topics in the other LBT boards, which probably *should* be directly related to the films/actors/etc.  As opposed to related projects.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe there could be some kind of subdivision of the fanart fanfiction section? Fanart can include a lot and there is no doubt your projects are art. One thing I'm a little sceptical about would be an own section about just land before time music. The reason is that I don't know how many people actually play an instrument here. A section for music only might possibly frighten away people who may be misled to think they couldn't say anything on the topic anyway.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree.  I LBT Arts section is just what we need :D
I just wonder how many people would think to look in the fanart section, if they are interested in lyrics/music, as opposed to pictures...
I suppose if anyone ever asked, we could simply direct them  :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I think it would get more attention if it was placed on the main page....not hidden in a subforum because these are LBT projects....not necessarily fanart.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As I said I'm not sure if a section on the music only would be visited by everyone, as we don't know how interested people are in the details of music. Maybe we should make this a topic for a pol?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
LBT projects aren't necessarily all about music either.