The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A quick way to see midi sheet music

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not entirely sure how much interest in there is in such a topic on these boards (not a whole lot, I presume), but I'm posting it up anyway, on the off-chance that someone may find this interesting or useful. (I'm looking in your directions, Malte and RogerRabbit.  :p  Malte seems rather interested in looking into the sheet music, and RogerRabbit tends to enjoy the analysis of digital audio.)

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/download.htm

At the above link, download the program called "Noteworthy Player Viewer".  It is a very compact little program that allows the user to load and play MIDI files (and .nwc files, which are Project files for Noteworthy Composer, which is the program I use to write all my midi files.  I recently purchased a licence for the full version, so I'm happy now :D ).

If anyone wants a quick, easy way to check out sheet music of my, or any other, midi file on the web, take a look at this program.  
[EDIT] I just downloaded the latest version of Noteworthy Player, and it looks to me like they fixed the volume bug in importing :wow  [/EDIT]

A big benefit of Noteworthy Composer over the Player, is the fact that the user can print sheet music in NW Composer.

And for anyone who's really interested, you can download the Noteworthy Composer 30-day trial, or purchase it for $40 US. :p

[EDIT] I found a solution to the problem I previously posted here, so I removed that comment from this post[/EDIT]

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Now that is awesome!  What's even more awesome is that I have a collection of Disney midi files I found online, and I was able to see all the notes for the songs. :) :)  That's about as close to sheet music as I'll ever get to.  :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  HOORAY! WHAT A DAY!
This is an awesome software! Thank you so much Tim! You really made my day :)
Now I have quite a couple of midis to check out.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Haha :DD Glad a few of you have put this to good use!

Hey, if Anyone here owns one of the following sound cards:

Sound Blaster Live series
Sound Blaster Audigy series
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 series (I'm currently running one of these)
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 series
Sound Blaster X-Fi series (if you have one, I'm jealous :P: )

I found a Very nice "soundfont" a few years ago, which I'd be happy to send you.  It's about 53 MB (I hope you have at least 256 MB (preferrably 512 or greater) of system RAM when you use this.  This 53 MB sits in your system RAM :lol ).

For those who don't know, a Soundfont works similar to a regular Font, except for MIDI files.  They control what each instrument sound like.  The quality of the soundfont directly affects the instruments' sound quality of any midi file.  Soundfonts enable the user to change what their MIDIs sound like, by changing the sounds of the instruments.  Only the above sound cards are soundfont compatible, however.  Everyone else must live with whatever sounds are loaded onto the sound card, or use the Microsoft Windows default midi instruments, which are kinda crappy :angry:

You lucky guys with Sound Blaster X-Fis can also enjoy surround-sound midi files, and 24-bit soundfonts :wow

People often don't respect the usefulness of MIDI and midi files because they only have exposure to junky sounds for their midis.  I'd be more than willing to send my soundfont to anyone with this sound card.  It's a free soundfont (don't worry, I didn't steal anything!), but the site I downloaded it from originally no longer exists.

I'll post up a demo of my soundfont on
http://www.angelfire.com/az3/action9000/index.html
(Well, I don't claim the soundfont to me "mine", per se.  I didn't program it.  It's just my soundfont of choice for all midi work. :p )

Click the link "Soundfont demo".  If you don't see it, I haven't posted it yet.  :P:

The demo consists of clips from my "Peaceful Valley", "Adventuring", and "LBT 1 End Credits" midis.  No prerendering, no nothing.  I just recorded playback of the midi files.  Remember, this recording is an MP3 file, so the audio is compressed.  This means the actual quality of the soundfont is higher than what you hear in the recording (but honestly, it's very close).

I like this soundfont because it doesn't have the big, bulky sound that is found on most sound cards.  Instead, it consists of a much softer, more natural sound on many of the instruments. Nothing is harsh-sounding, the percussion has some life to it, and all the instruments blend very nicely.

If you own one of those sound cards, and are interested in Much better midi performance, let me know and I'll post the soundfont up on www.yousendit.com

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Heh, well Tim you know what POS soundcard I have in my laptop.  :lol:   The chip in my mp3 player is better if that's any hint....so its a no go for me.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I found the answer to that problem :DD

http://www.saunalahti.fi/kru99/Downloads.htm

This is a link to a program called Synthfont.  It emulates soundfont support for any computer; you don't even need a sound card.  It works as a MIDI player, basically.  

To use it, install the program, run it, load up a soundfont, load up a MIDI file, and enjoy!

I'm at school right now, but I'll post up my soundfont on www.yousendit.com when I get home.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, I have a link for you:

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ENCXCXYL9KPG0U6C009UG0SVH

Click this to download my soundfont, TGSF22.rar

You may need winrar
www.rarlab.com

to extract the file.  This was the ONLY way I could upload the file.  Yousendit didn't seem very happy with either .sf2 files or .zip files.