The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blanking the Slate

Serris · 921 · 84433

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren plugged his charger into the outlet. He held his breath as he heard the pastor continue on. He wasn't religious by any stretch of the imagination but yet, there was something compelling about how the pastor blended nuclear physics, art, oratory and religion all together.

As his phone charged far too slowly for his taste, he carefully peered out from behind the statue of Father Atom. The church was still empty, the only presence being Emilena washing herself in the fountain and lit up by the flickering light of the candles.

The Human scowled as he smelled the pungent burnt wax odor that hung in the air. He shuddered; it smelled far too much like the fire that destroyed his livelihood back in Lanthae.

He said nothing but grabbed a vacuum sealed pack of communion crackers and shoved them in his pocket.

He watched Emilena finish her "shower" and get dressed. Saying nothing and pointedly avoiding the Vulpine's naked form, he splashed some water on his face, tossed the package of crackers on the concrete floor and entered the fountain without taking his clothes off. He scrubbed his clothes to try and get them clean and wrung them out. He emerged from the fountain with a cash chit worth 500 creds. "Someone must be trying to buy their way to heaven," he muttered.

It was then he heard "And may Oppenheimer's Light shine down upon our foes."

Soren was not religious by any stretch of the imagination but he had been exposed to enough acolytes of the Atomic Church to know that usually signaled the end of an address by a church member.

Those words were then followed by silence. "Shit! We gotta go!" he hissed, stuffing the pilfered communion crackers back into his pockets. He sprinted for the statue, grabbing his phone and hastily plugging it back in.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena bit her lip; that sermon ended exactly on time, but she'd lost focus for a few precious seconds. This shower was the first chance she'd had in days to analyze her own body, and she was surprised by all the scars she didn't recognize. Almost every square foot of her flesh was pockmarked with the permanent remnants of old wounds, which wasn't exactly news, but a surprising number of new scars were fighting to make room. When did I even get wounded these past few days? As far as she could recall, she'd been blessedly lucky avoiding any physical harm during this Purifier business, but these deep cuts can't lie. Most of them don't even look like combat wounds, she pondered as she ended her shower and redressed. They look more like surgical scars or...

Soren's curse suddenly cut through her thoughts like a scalpel. "Stick to the walls!" she muttered, "or they'll see you trailing water down the aisle!" Emilena's feet were dry enough that she could blitz back to the main entrance and haphazardly stuff the sanitizer dispenser, counting the seconds with military precision before their minute was up. With a gymnast's vault, she grabbed the ladder rung and led the way into the crawlspace. As soon as they were both securely in the safe room, she retracted the ladder with milliseconds to go before the congregation began filing into the church. "Whew..." she whispered. "That was close. The Church of Atom doesn't screw around with nonbelievers violating sacred space."

It was several seconds before her breathing returned to normal and she could hear the church proceedings happening without interruption. "Echoes are a huge problem in this room, we need to be super still while they're here," she whispered. "Hope that spot of floor is comfy, and your phone is decently charged."

=====================

"That would be awesome, I'm with you 100%," Flora agreed quickly. These guys were paradise compared to the hell her former comrades put her through. "So long as he doesn't hit on me..."

She waited to see her new protector, but something caused her to ask Coxon one last question. "Errr, at some point, am I gonna learn why you seem to know who I am? I mean, beyond being DJ Xyler?"

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just as Flora finished speaking, the door swung open and Kintoki stepped in, shooting a glance of what could only be read as distaste at Metheun.  He gave Flora a brief glance, then turned to Coxon.
"Good to see you again, sir.  I presume this is Flora?
He said, bowing his head respectfully as his visor popped open a small window, with text scrolling across it.
*Of course it is, Kin.  Who else would it be, huh?*

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren bit his tongue and held his breath as he lay in the dusty crawlspace. He had left some water droplets in the aisle but he hoped that they attributed it to a leaky pipe.

He carefully peeked through a small crack in the floor and spied one of the altar boys looking for the communion crackers in the altar that held a bronze model of an atomic nucleus. Said altar boy turned to the priest standing behind the podium.

The Human couldn't make out any words, but it looked like the altar boy was was asking where the communion crackers had gone.

Hope they don't find out someone filched them.

He shuddered. Atomic Acolytes did not take kindly to blasphemy. If he got caught, a good beating was likely to result.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Rose, by this point, had convinced her doctors that she was well enough to go home. ' I'll be sure not to move my shoulder too much ' She said to the Nurse. ' Be sure to change ylour bindings every few hours, and your physical therapy starts in a couple weeks' the Nurse giving her a card "Just tell Brian that you u are coming from us and you'll get 20% off your first t five sessions."   Thank you " rse said " i just need to contact my.. roommate,  to let her know I'
m ok." Rose said Pul;ing out he phone and dialing  Marita's Number.
_ Marita answered after the third ring>' Rose? where the heck have you been? Marita said " I'm in the hospital about to be discharged. The stakeout was a fiasco, and Bailey is royally pissed, as you might imagine. We've got 2 days to fix things, or bailey will.." Off us? Great, just freaking great. We have just 2 days to track her down? I could do it, maybe, if you gave me a week." We don't HAVE a week Marita ' Rose said as she got out of the hospital bed and signed the disclosure forms, upon which she was given her regular clothes back.  Rose took a couple minutes to change. " we need to find everyone, get them together, and go after her" rose said as she walked down the  hallway towards the hospital entrance. 'Finding them all, will take hours, and every minute is now precious beyond measure. Did Bailey say he;d back off  if we got her back? ' If she's unharmed, yes' Rose said.  Marita sighed audibly. " we're really up against it this time Rose.'
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Coxon inclined his head at Flora. "Of course. When you return here, I'll tell you everything." If she managed to survive a little longer, he supposed he owed her that much. He heard the door open at the other end of the room and turned to see Kintoki enter.

"Oh, look. The trashcan's arrived," Metheun announced, returning the mercenary's unsympathetic expression.

"Kintoki. It's good to see you too... it's been some time since I last required your services." Coxon gestured at Metheun. "Go tell Junko to make preparations. And tell her about this Axel character, he could be important."

Annoyance flashed across Metheun's face. "I could take care of that. I'm good for more than sitting around in a filthy club as bait, waiting to get shot."

"No. Not this. Go."

Metheun stared at him for a moment, then downed the rest of his wine. "Your wish is my command," he muttered, smoothing down his jacket as he stood. Sweeping past Kintoki, he noted a fresh crack in the marble floor, behind the mercenary's foot. ""For crying out loud, someone tell Felix the floor needs repairing again," he called out to a guard in the hall as the door swung shut behind him.

"To answer your question, yes. This is the girl," Coxon said, returning his attention to Kintoki. "I've arranged for the safehouse to be prepared for you." He paused. "Naturally, you're aware of the task. Protect her. At all costs." And if she tries to run before the job is done, for whatever reason, disable her. Non-lethally. Break her legs, sever her spine... just make sure she doesn't become a problem.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The church meeting was almost over, and the Head Acolyte was leading up to the end of his sermon. Emilena took several deep breaths; she was starting to get impatient and her freshly-washed cuts were stinging.

"We must all remember..." he swelled his voice, "that light is a sign of righteousness, but not necessarily a benevolent one. Just as Father Atom bestowed two great lights of destruction upon his foes, so to may your path deliver light in a way that seems harmful. But remember that you must trust the light, for your own plight is a worthy sacrifice for the greater good."

And then Marita's phone call set Soren's phone vibrating. It was only two brief buzzes, but against the ceiling it caused such a rattling that the congregation immediately looked around in curiosity.

"Did someone...forget to silence their phone?" the Head Acolyte asked with barely suppressed rage.

"No, I think it came from the ceiling," stammered the first acolyte he made eye contact with.

"The church doesn't have vermin, does it?" a female acolyte asked in an accusatory voice. "That would explain your missing communion."

"Of course not!" the Head Acolyte snapped, well aware that his followers would crucify him were they to decide he hadn't been maintaining their sacred space adequately. "Spread out, and seek the disturbance! Obliterate it!"

Emilena's blood ran cold. "Erm, think we'll be able to kill them all?" she whispered, glancing at her SMG still sitting beside her mattress. "It's that, or flee and have another group that wants us dead..."

------------------------------------

Flora raised an eyebrow upon seeing her protector. "Errr, is it completely sane?" she asked, wrinkling her nose. The cyborg was so unabashedly Augmented that she shared Metheum's less-than-enamored opinion. She stepped backwards tentatively, as if giving a wide berth to a diseased dog. "You're not sticking me with something else that's gonna molest me, right?"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Rose then remembered that she hadnt been the only one shot, and diakled the phobne number anne hhad gicen her ' she waited for the the mare to answer Once she did, and told  Rose which room She and axel were in , she would go get them discharged and head out to get Flora back.  every minute was precious thanks to Baileys blunt and murderous threat. ' What a huge fiasco we've gotten outrselves into " she muttered as the phobne rang for the second time.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(Church of the Holy Atom)

Soren bit his lip as his forehead began to sweat. "I say we run for it. They didn't get a good look at us." His pistol bumped uncomfortably against his hip as he adjusted his position slightly.

It was then he noticed two wires going into a light fixture. A insane...and probably suicidal plan formed in his mind. "I say we give them something more pressing to think about than two interlopers..."

---------------

(Hospital)

Anne picked up her cell phone that was on her table next to her pitcher of water. The phone was a cheap, prepaid one that she could toss into the nearest electronics recycling bin when it attracted too much attention.

"Yeah?" she asked as she took a sip of the lukewarm water from the cup.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Its rose. Which room are you and Axel in? I'm coming to get you out of there, so we can start looking for Flora. We are under a deadline to get her back after all" rose said ' Just give me the room number and I'll come get you" rose added as she walked down the hallway looking at the rooms, some of which were open, most of which were closed.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Coxon chuckled good-naturedly. "Yes, I suppose he does look a fraction... intimidating." He shifted in his chair with a small wince as his joints started to ache. "I assure you, he is quite sane. And you have my word that no... molestation... will take place." Coxon fixed his gaze on the mercenary, his eyes hardening for a split second. "Will it, Kintoki?" But he already knows what my stance is on rape. If this girl is interfered with, his payment disappears.

He clapped his hands once, softly. "But don't take my word for it! Kintoki," Coxon continued, gesturing. "Say hello to the poor girl!"

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anne narrowed her eyes as she tried to look at the room number on the electronic display.

"Room 441A," the mare said into her phone. "And what's about this deadline?"

Her ears pricked up as she heard footsteps coming from outside the room. She wondered if it was staff, Rose or someone she really didn't want to see.

As it were, she pressed the call button that was located on the table and waited for a nurse to remove the IV that was snaking into her arm.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm on my way. and the deadline is from Bailey, who put me and the girls in charge of keeping flora safe. to say hes pissed at us for letting her get grabbed is a gross understatement. I'll be there in a couple minutes and fill you in more once we get out." rose said and hung up. 441A was on the 4th floor and it would take Rose a few minutes to climb the stairs and then find the room.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Shitshitshitshit." Axel's leg dragged behind him as he shuffled across the room, leaning on the wall for support like a drunk after a long night. When he reached the chair on the other side, on which a plastic bag containing his old clothes had been placed, he looked down at his bandaged thigh. It didn't look as if it had started bleeding again.

So far so good.

Axel picked up the bag and opened it, crinkling his nose at the sight of his ruined clothes packed inside, stiff from the dried blood. "No good... I can't wear these..." he muttered to himself. Dropping the bag on the floor, he shrugged off his gown and pulled the plain-looking hospital shirt and trousers from the back of the chair. Easing himself into a sitting position with a gasp of pain, he set about gingerly sliding the trousers on, keeping an eye on the door in case the Purifier came back for a second visit.

Trousers on, he yanked the shirt over his bruised torso then eased his feet into his old trainers. You got dressed. Good going. His cell phone suddenly started ringing on his bedside table, making him jump.

"Shitshitshitshit."

Successfully shuffling back across the room to his bedside table, he picked up the phone and hit the answer button after he'd checked who it was. "Rose, we need to... what? Bailey? Flora?" He snorted. "What the fuck do I care? I just got..." The rat sighed as Rose kept talking. "Room 441A? That's a few down from me. Alright, see you there."

Hanging up, Axel glanced back down at his pillow, the knife still pinning the note to it. He pulled it out, pushing the blade back in and shoving it out of site into the waistband of his trousers. After a moment's pause, he also snatched up the note, then turned and hobbled towards the door.

By the time he'd reached Anne's door, he'd learned that by keeping his leg stiff in a particular position, he could make a good pace without his wound hurting so much. He noticed that none of the nurses seemed to care that a patient was stumbling around the halls. Either the patient care is terrible, or I don't catch the ladies' eyes as much as I used to. Reaching Anne's door, Axel pushed it open and fixed her with a disgruntled frown as he limped in. "Say one thing about us, it's that our luck is consistent." He plonked into a chair. "Consistently shit."

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Kintoki smirked a bit at the reaction from Flora, unclamping his helmet to reveal a relatively young fox's face.
"Ahhh, right.  Where are my manners.  Sakata Kintoki.  I'll be acting as your body guard for the foreseeable future.  And don't worry, I have absolutely NO interest in molesting you."
He snarked, replacing his helmet with a pneumatic hiss, rolling his shoulders lazily.  Turning towards the door, he glanced back.
"Oh, and for the record?  I'm 100% organic.  Just so you know, Flora."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The hustle and bustle in the Church of Atom was getting more frenzied as the acolyte's lust for something to punish set in.

"Check every crevice!" their leader preached. "Do not overlook the slightest of disturbances! Remember, a single neutron can split an entire nucleus!"

Emilena narrowed her eyes. They'd be checking the attic in a matter of minutes. "Whatever you're thinking, science guy, let's do it." She gripped her SMG and waited for Soren to put his plan into motion. "Just tell me who to shoot..."

------------------------

"Good, cause I'm 100% mechanical." Flora cocked an eyebrow at the fox, who turned out to be far younger than she expected. ""First generation prototype android. So I guess we're completely incompatible."

She glanced one more time at Coxon. At least he seemed far more in-charge than anyone she'd met on the Purifier team. She actually got a vibe that he knew what he was doing, at least enough to follow his orders. "So, Kintoki, you think you can hold your own against anything that comes our way?" she asked. "No offense, but you're...uh...kinda scrawny."

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Kintoki smirked a bit, shrugging his shoulders.
"Suppose that depends on your definition of 'incompatible', doesn't it?"
He chuckled, then, at Flora's questioning of his capability, he turned and tapped his chestpiece.
"As to if I can actually hold my own...well, let's just say I didn't get to where I am by being just a pretty face."
He turned to Coxon, nodding a bit.
"Sir, as soon as you're ready, I can get her to a safehouse.  Got one set up and ready."

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren said nothing but carefully opened the package of communion wafers and poured them onto wooden floor. He then ripped the two wires from the light fixture. A shower of sparks indicated that the wires were energized. Taking care not to touch the bare metal ends, he carefully touched them together until they began to glow red. He groped around for something and found a discarded paper wrapper from one of Emilena's meals.

Touching it to the glowing wire, the paper soon caught fire and he placed it on the pile of communion wafers. He gently blew on it until the dried wafers had caught fire.

He then drew his pistol with a smirk. "A fire should keep them busy."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena grinned. "Works for me." She crawled backwards, watching approvingly as the fire started filling the attic. "Stay near the window, the smoke might be able to cover our escape!"

After a few minutes, the attic's floorboards caught fire, and the church's roof collapsed in a flaming heap. Screams started filling the air, and at least one person's firearm went off for reasons Emilena couldn't fathom.

"Alright, before they evacuate outside, let's do this!" She led the way out the window, vaulting off the roof and hitting the hedges with a controlled tumble. Rolling into the graveyard, she combat-crawled to the nearby wall using the hedge as cover from the churchyard.  

-----------------------

Bailey was so incensed he smashed both of his fists into the armrests of his pedicure chair, letting his cell phone clatter to the ground.

"Oh!" protested the salonist. "Careful, sir!"

"How the hell did they screw that up so goddamn badly?" Bailey snarled, looking around angrily. The only other person in the shop was the next customer in line, an off-duty mall worker wearing a large Jigglypuff costume. "My instructions were really fricking clear," Bailey ranted to nobody in particular, "just hide Flora in the house and don't let anything happen to her! How do they fail so spectacularly at doing that, that she gets kidnapped by terrorists?"

The mascot shrugged. "Jigglypuff."

"Sir, if you could please sit still," the salonist started, but Bailey angrily kicked her aside, grabbed his phone and marched out of the salon. "Well, I never!" she started. "Fine then. The usual, poptart?"

"Jigglypuff," nodded the mascot happily.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Coxon inclined his head. "You may take her. But you will escort her to a safehouse that I have already prepared. The coordinates will be forwarded to you, in addition to other essential information."

As he finished speaking, one of his hulking bodyguards retrieved a device from the inside of his dark suit. He pressed a button, sending the information to Kintoki's system, then nodded.

"It's done." Coxon's hands folded on top of each other on the tabletop. "Remember what I said. Keep her safe." He gave Flora a final smile. "Goodbye my dear. We'll see each other again, I'm sure."