The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mistake in movie 12?

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I don't know where to put this. Maybe it's good to talk about it, so I put it in this discussing forum.

In "The Great Day of the Flyers" I have found a scene where you can see Petrie with teeth, but Pteranodons had no teeth, did they?

The Screenshot
It is after minute 51.

I think the creators just wanted to show that Petrie is scared of Cera. Nevertheless, it is a mistake.

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's just some cartoony flair. The more I look at the screenshot, though, the weirder it looks.

Pteranodon was indeed toothless, in fact, its name literally translates to "toothless wing". Interesting little observation, in any case.

zero-point

• Administrator
  • Spike
    • View Profile
This is not all that uncommon, here's a screenshot from II.

...and here's one from VIII (or the series, I don't know).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:34:56 PM by zero-point »
"The fire flickers with possibilities, I wonder what happens if you get a little closer?"

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've heard that this cartoonish inaccuracy also applies to Ruby, as Oviraptor is another species that doesn't have teeth. (I don't have time to go looking for any screenshots, so I'll leave it to someone else to look for examples.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
In the Sharptooth scene in XII Guido also has teeth at one point, even though he shouldn’t have any.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
The Land Before Time says that Guido is a Microraptor. Wikipedia says about Microraptor that he had teeth.

Anyway. I could find the scene where Guido is shown with teeth. It's at 55:44

And here is Ruby in "The Mysterious Tooth Crisis":

This pic looks a bit odd...

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There are a real lot of inaccuracies in LBT, so it doesn't surprise me that they gave Petrie and Ruby teeth. Some other ones that stand out to me are:

- Chomper having three fingers when tyrannosaurs really had two (I notice that's probably the most talked-about one)
- Petrie eating treestars when pterodactyls actually ate fish (in fact one time, I was watching one of the later LBT movies, I want to say #9 or #10, in the lounge of my college residence hall, and someone walked by during a scene that showed Petrie eating a treestar, and he said "Didn't pterodactyls eat fish?" and I just said "Yes, they did")
- The fact that they have Jurassic era dinosaurs, such as apatosaurs, allosaurs and stegosaurs, coexisting with Cretaceous era dinosaurs, such as hadrosaurs, ceratopsians and tyrannosaurs (I think that's probably the biggest LBT inaccuracy of all)

However, let's just remember that LBT was not meant to be a documentary, and it wasn't even really meant to be very educational about dinosaurs. It was meant to be a fun and heartwarming movie whose characters just so happen to be dinosaurs.

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
The creators have done this perhaps knowingly. They surely noticed this mistakes.
You're right, TLBT is of course no documentation, but I think these are things you will remember.
I share your view, it is definitely Heartwarming.

If someone makes mistakes knowingly, are they still mistakes then?

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LeventeII on Jan 31 2018, 01:01:36 PM
The creators have done this perhaps knowingly. They surely noticed this mistakes.
You're right, TLBT is of course no documentation, but I think these are things you will remember.
I share your view, it is definitely Heartwarming.

If someone makes mistakes knowingly, are they still mistakes then?
They probably did knowingly make LBT inaccurate, as I hear that the creators of the original movie did extensive research for it. In which case, the inaccuracies probably weren't 'mistakes', per se. This gets back to what I said before: LBT was most likely intended primarily to be a fun and heartwarming adventure movie whose characters happen to be dinosaurs, not a dinosaur documentary or even an educational movie about dinosaurs. Even then, kids (and adults!) who are into dinosaurs and know a thing or two about them will watch it and notice how inaccurate it is, and maybe they'll like it despite the inaccuracies, or maybe they won't.

Which brings me to a funny anecdote: one time, my mother and I were arguing because I had tanked my anthropology final, due in part to watching LBT too much, and I jokingly said something along the lines of "Well, maybe I should become a paleontologist. Then I'll probably lose my liking for LBT because I'll just be cringing at all the inaccuracies".

Joking aside, becoming a paleontologist has been in the back of my mind lately, and I don't think I actually would lose my liking for LBT if I had more knowledge about dinosaurs. As it is, I'm forgiving it of having an herbivorous pteranodon with teeth, a T. Rex who befriended a bunch of herbivores from different geologic eras (again, one of whom shouldn't be an herbivore), and a saurolophus with an adopted brother who's a stegosaurus (again, dinosaurs from different eras)! If I can forgive LBT for that, I can't imagine anything that I couldn't forgive it for. But that just brings me back to my original point about LBT mostly having been meant to be a dope movie with characters who happen to be dinosaurs, when similar movies could be made with any type of characters (in fact, the inspiration for LBT was Disney having done one with forest mammals).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:54:59 PM by Littlefoot505 »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's almost certainly an artistic choice. For the case for Petrie shown above, gritting your teeth is a recognizable visual representation of anger and helps sells the point at how mad he is. In fact, every Petrie shot shown here uses his teeth to help convey emotion, like mentioned in Leventall's original post.

Littlefoot505 brings up mistakes that I would consider more significant, but in all honesty our suspension of disbelief should be high enough to tolerate these in movies about talking and singing cartoon dinosaurs. :lol

Which brings me to a funny anecdote: one time, my mother and I were arguing because I had tanked my anthropology final, due in part to watching LBT too much, and I jokingly said something along the lines of "Well, maybe I should become a paleontologist. Then I'll probably lose my liking for LBT because I'll just be cringing at all the inaccuracies".
Maybe next time you can say you were trying to specialize in studying societal behaviors of residential Great Valley dinosaurs (though that may be too niche of a market to sell). :p

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot505 on Jan 31 2018, 10:01:23 AM
There are a real lot of inaccuracies in LBT, so it doesn't surprise me that they gave Petrie and Ruby teeth. Some other ones that stand out to me are:

- Chomper having three fingers when tyrannosaurs really had two (I notice that's probably the most talked-about one)
- Petrie eating treestars when pterodactyls actually ate fish (in fact one time, I was watching one of the later LBT movies, I want to say #9 or #10, in the lounge of my college residence hall, and someone walked by during a scene that showed Petrie eating a treestar, and he said "Didn't pterodactyls eat fish?" and I just said "Yes, they did")
- The fact that they have Jurassic era dinosaurs, such as apatosaurs, allosaurs and stegosaurs, coexisting with Cretaceous era dinosaurs, such as hadrosaurs, ceratopsians and tyrannosaurs (I think that's probably the biggest LBT inaccuracy of all)

However, let's just remember that LBT was not meant to be a documentary, and it wasn't even really meant to be very educational about dinosaurs. It was meant to be a fun and heartwarming movie whose characters just so happen to be dinosaurs.
If you want to know about inaccuracies, this should help lol

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Paleontological_inaccuracies_within_The_Land_Before_Time
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypno on Jan 31 2018, 11:02:05 PM
Quote from: Littlefoot505 on Jan 31 2018, 10:01:23 AM

If you want to know about inaccuracies, this should help lol

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Paleontological_inaccuracies_within_The_Land_Before_Time
Oh man! I'll have to check that out! As for what Flathead said, I totally agree. I am definitely one who can suspend his disbelief (don't even get me started on suspended disbelief in LBT!). If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't like LBT, and accordingly, I wouldn't be here. That's also why I can't seriously say that becoming a paleontologist would make me lose my liking for LBT. At most, it would make me a great contributor to the page on the wiki that Hypno just posted a link to. The fact that I love dinosaurs is only one piece of the puzzle that makes up my love of LBT. It's a big piece, but nonetheless, it's only one piece.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Yes, that's true. But imagine Petrie and Ruby being eternally toothless and having to growl angrily and make smiley faces.

That's what I thought.

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I totally agree with you. But, I think there are still unintentional mistakes. I see them mostly in the TV-Series. To be honest, I didn't recognize these mistakes first.  I only spotted them because I read the comments. I don't think that the creators switched Spike and Cera intentionally for a moment. (Pic)

I would also like to add, that Ruby's teeth can only seen at very few moments. Ruby's teeth doesn't emit any emotion like rage or happiness for example. If you removed them, the effect would be the same for the viewer I think.

I don't want to seem like a critic. I find these mistakes, or whatever they are, absolutely acceptable, especially because i didn't recognize them at first. I hope I'm not misunderstood.
With or without mistakes, TLBT is still that what it always has been for me.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Spike/Cera glitch just shows how much the creators didn’t care about the TV series lo

I mean how the heck do you draw a character at riverside that’s supposed to be in serious danger and nearing the edge of a waterfall?

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: LeventeII on Feb 1 2018, 02:57:58 PM
I totally agree with you. But, I think there are still unintentional mistakes. I see them mostly in the TV-Series. To be honest, I didn't recognize these mistakes first.  I only spotted them because I read the comments. I don't think that the creators switched Spike and Cera intentionally for a moment. (Pic)
Wow...

Now THAT is just stupid.