The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Most Audacious Project

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While writing a post in the LBT 14 Topic, I thought of one of the most audacious LBT Project ever. It will be the Three Gorges Dam of fan-dom. We should make a completely fan-based LBT movie. Now, I started this as a poll to get the reviews. I don't want to try to organize something that will totally fail.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree with this. we the fans should make our own fan-movie.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I chose undecided. Everyone has such different ideas and what would make a good LBT movie and some people just might not be happy with the end result because their ideas didn't go through. I'm not saying that what you are saying is a bad idea, but I'm just voicing my opinion about this.

Also, I don't know if the creators of LBT would want any of our ideas, they seem to just want to stick with their ideas and not take anyone else's. I don't know for a fact if that's their mind set about the movies, but I am making an assumption about it.

Again, I say undecided.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is it legal to do that?  

And there are many questions that would have to be discussed and decided, plot, time, if it should focus on the main characters, other characters that live in the great valley, original or characters seldom seen, or another location besides the Great Valley, even a made up one, ect.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Sep 8 2008 on  10:14 PM
Is it legal to do that? 

Look at the number of SW fan movies that have been made so it is legal. Check fan films.net http://www.fanfilms.net/ it has a lot of fan made films.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had only heard about fanmade dr who movies and some fanmade dc superhero trailers I downloaded years ago.  I"m not sure how Universal is.  I heard the BBC is pretty laid back about that.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I just don't want to get in trouble with copyright laws. :bang

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If there are 11 fan films for Back to the Future I think they'd accecpt a LBT fan film.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
So long as we don't try to sell it, there's no problem with copyright.  I voted yes.  I have wanted to do this for the longest time, but I'm no artist.  I'm afraid we'd have to use ONLY our own art and not any of the characters/backgrounds from the movies.  We can't do this right now though.  In a few years when we get more sophisticated programs and computers we can give it a shot, but for now we shouldn't try it.  It would just be too much work with the current programs out there.  What I'm waiting for is a program that will allow you to animate a 2D image without having to draw it frame by frame.  If we had a program like this, we could easily make an LBT movie.  There isn't a program like this out yet so until there is, there's no way we'll ever be able to succeed in creating an LBT movie.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I feel like this is a good idea, though I would have no idea how.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A lot of my LBT project resources (time, etc.) are going toward the LBT game we're making.  I'm willing to hel if anyone has a special request of me but I don't suspect I'll have much time to volunteer for a lot of tasks for this one.

I really like the idea but, like Mumbling, I don't know how we'd ever achieve a result that would look, feel or do the LBT series as we know it, justice.  Of course we can discuss and perhaps find a way to realize this project.  It will depend on the scope of this project, how possible it will be to achieve an end result.

Good luck to everyone involved.  If anyone needs something I'll do my best to help. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't like the three gorges dam, but if handled better than that project I suppose such a movie could be interesting. However, Rat_Lady is rising an important point if this is a group project we are talking about. There is hardly a topic as controversially discussed among land before time fans as that of fanfictions and what should / should not be in them.
Which programs are you thinking of to make such a movie?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It would require a team of people to work on, each doing different things. The first group of people would work on the plot, and they would try to satisfy as many people on the forum as possible. That would be one of the main goals of this fan-movie.

I have to agree with the other Austin, though. We would have to wait a while before we could viably make this thing. We don't have the software to do it, and iMovie HD is pretty much only good for putting scenes together with transitions. That would be something I could do, if I could get my hands on iLife '08.

However, this break between thinking of it and making it gives us one good thing. We can work on the plot while we wait for technology to make this project viable. This way, we'll have a couple of years to work on the plot. Then, we will have a good, well-thought-out plot.

About making the movie, that will wait. Until then, brainstorm away!!! I'll help think of the plot.

Oh, and Malte, I only said the Three Gorges Dam because this would be like no other project here. Pretty much like the Three Gorges Dam, except less work done on the Yangtze River.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 9 2008 on  04:59 AM
So long as we don't try to sell it, there's no problem with copyright.  I voted yes.  I have wanted to do this for the longest time, but I'm no artist.  I'm afraid we'd have to use ONLY our own art and not any of the characters/backgrounds from the movies.  We can't do this right now though.  In a few years when we get more sophisticated programs and computers we can give it a shot, but for now we shouldn't try it.  It would just be too much work with the current programs out there.  What I'm waiting for is a program that will allow you to animate a 2D image without having to draw it frame by frame.  If we had a program like this, we could easily make an LBT movie.  There isn't a program like this out yet so until there is, there's no way we'll ever be able to succeed in creating an LBT movie.
I agree with this. Only if we try to sell it, there will be problems. Otherwise, it's free to go.

Well, I agreed. If I could help with anything, count me in for the plot, if its ok.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We could always do an audio play sort of thing, like some old radio programs (yes way way before even my time radio stations did more then play music).  I mentioned the idea to a member months ago on msn but he said the idea wasn't a good one.  

The only drawback is most of the characters would likely be adult males with only a few females, no idea how many, if anyone, could do child voices, though with software to alter voices and such it may be possible to take an adult voice or a late teen voice and make it sound more like a kid's voice.

The animation could come later.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I find that audio play idea quite interesting. It might sound odd if we try to imitate LBT character's voices, but I suppose it could be a lot of fun too. As for first making audio recordings and then the animation, that's just the way it is done with the real movies too.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I could do childvoice I guess... :p But you're right Kor, we could do audio first..

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If we do we'd have to decide if we are going to use any of the fc characters, do only oc characters, allow or do a mix of them, minor 1 shot fc's like Guido and Skip with oc's, ect.  Also if it's oc's only decide if it will be in the Great Valley or another location that we can make up.  

We can do the animation later, like it's done with professional western animation (I heard anime they do the animation first and the voice & audio after) or do it with a focus on audio plays with maybe some or all being animated later.  In old radio, and things meant to be audio like some audio books or audio comics things are slightly different then audio ment to be animated eventually or live action done.  There is at times a narrator, and sometimes the characters will talk about what they see, "Look at that giant flyer." or a narrator: "the group felt uneasy walking through the dark cave with it's eerie sounds.", I"ll tie this vine to that large branch and swing out over the earthbreak."  (where the char may not say that in animation but would be animated doing that.)   or somesuch where in normal animation and live action they would do that less.

Maybe try with short productions that are 5 - maybe increasing to 10 or 15 minutes to get in practice and allow some to see if they want to do that.  And maybe starting a voice acting thread so some can share tips and information.  Maybe have some sort of voice acting practice or something if such a thing is possible with some program or something so some can practice and get better if they wish.  Since I assume most here are maybe like me with no experience really acting or doing voice work acting and any ability they have would be the default undeveloped type with some, like me, having shyness that may make it harder at first too.

Some may be able to do only 1 voice or only a few, maybe with practice and help can learn to do some other new voices and post production can help also with altering voices maybe.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I purposely chose Somewhat agree, only on the basis that while even if we went with Kor's brilliant idea of an audio play...the plot would still be debatable by just about everyone here, or at least those of us participating in this project.

I do agree with Kor about the voice acting thread though...it would be able to help those of us (like me :p ) Who have yet to practice voice acting to get some assistance.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Such a project would in any case require a script version of any story of which we might want to create an audio play.
Now I don't know if this idea would be popular, but it is just a suggestion. There have been six land before time audio plays released in Germany which are not based on the movies. The plays are reasonably short (roughly 25 minutes each), so it might be a realistic basis to begin with (hour lasting epics can still be created if we realize that short stories are possible).
I could try to write a translated script of one of those plays.
A main difficulty of the producing of an audio play would be to make it sound convincing although we can't be together during the recording. Most of the talking in the audio plays are dialogues and it would sound very odd if it didn't sound like the characters we are recording were talking really to each other. Perhaps one could practice in microphone MSN chats. Recording such a microphone chat would probably be insufficient as one voice would inevitably sound quieter than the other and the other voice would be heard with some delay only. However, if such a chat was recorded on both ends, it might be possible to cut something together that sounds convincing.
As there are dialogues with more than two characters involved it might be best to check out for a program that allows microphone chats among more than two people (Skype, I think, would allow this, but please correct me if I'm mistaken). Also for the audio play to sound convincing we might need a couple of background sounds which I doubt anyone of us could utter (chirring of crickets, roaring of sharptooth etc.).
I don't know, but would there be any interest in such an approach? The project cannot be realized unless we have enough speakers for not just the main but also a few side characters.