The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A look at metal music

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hate to pull a joke at the expense of the genre but I'd actually like to listen to music where I can understand what the musician is saying. :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hate to pull a joke at the expense of the genre but I'd actually like to listen to music where I can understand what the musician is saying.

Heh no worries Petrie.  You've seen my Stepmania collection and the number of songs that would fall into a metal subgenre within that collection. :p  I like some, but mainly those songs with strong musical backing to them.  

I'm not a fan of the screaming at all, either.  I find some melodic or symphonic metal songs can be quite well-done, overall.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Sorry dudes, but Nightwish isn't metal. It's more on the takes of Evanescence and Within Temptation, those are more "pseudo-goth wannabe's" =P
I mock them, but I like a couple of the songs from these band's, although they're nowhere near metal.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I find it hard to imagine Evanescence as anything close to goth...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I find it hard to imagine Evanescence as anything close to goth...
They're the closest thing to Goth that I've heard much of. I don't like "real" goth; it's too dirty.

Sorry dudes, but Nightwish isn't metal.
Metal is a larger genre than you may think.  If they're not in various subgenres of metal, where are they?

"pseudo-goth wannabe's" =P
I mock them, but I like a couple of the songs from these band's, although they're nowhere near metal.
Who do you consider metal then?  I'm not a proud Metal fan so I don't care.  I'm just curious.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Neither am I, but probably something like Ramstein or Katatonia.
Evanescence aren't goth, I don't know what to call them but they're certainly not metal =P
Just because a band some times has some obscure references, and plays with hard voices, from the minute they're commercial and the lead singer has a soft voice, like HIM or Nightwish, it's not considered metal. I can tell you what isn't metal but don't ask me what is. Looks like a paradox doesn't it?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Maybe...if you can't name what is metal, how can you name what isn't?  :P:

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
True :D

Do we have a metalhead or metal expert in the house?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is this good enough? B)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_metal

List of symphonic metal bands
...Nightwish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish
Nightwish are a Finnish symphonic metal band formed in 1996 in the town of Kitee. Nightwish is considered one of the bands responsible for the rise in popularity of symphonic metal at the end of the 1990s.[

Symphonic Power Metal
...Kamelot...

"Metal" itself doesn't really exist.  Every Metal song/band seems to fall within some subgenre of Metal.
It sounds to me that Heavy Metal or Power Metal or maybe even Death Metal is what you're referring to.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. I don't really believe in labeling bands by genre. Each band has its own unique sound, sure some sound a like and come from similar backgrounds, but I can't say Joy Division are goth or indie, they're Joy Division, and that's it  -_-

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm.. I don't really believe in labeling bands by genre.
I think it *can* be done but it really doesn't have to be....unless you're in a band, trying to promote yourself.  How do you say you sound like yourself if you're trying to promote yourself?  Nobody knows what to compare you to!  If you say you sound like "something unique" people will expect you to play notes and sing words that have never been sung before (including sung in other languages, other cultures, etc. etc).  If you say "Everything", people will expect a hiphop beat with rock and techno, along with jazz, classical and east-indian.  Be careful what you say you play. :lol:

The word "unique" is a paradox in a way, when it comes to music.  There are distinct cultures of music around the world.  While there are Definitely differences from band to band, the sound, to a casual listener, from one band to another, isn't always very different.  If a band can decribe what they sound like, I think it is beneficial for them, and it helps the general public (which has an IQ of 100 according to what is "average") understand just what you sound like, before they even hear you.

But before this gets too off-topic, I'm starting a new thread for this discussion. This topic should ideally focus on metal music.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I guess you have a point there action9000. Still, that's mostly a pratical use. For example when I go to Fnac and I find Joy Division albuns in the goth section, I'm like  :blink:
It's a bit understandable, since they did start a goth wave, but not the type of goth people now know.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For example when I go to Fnac and I find Joy Division albuns in the goth section, I'm like :blink:
I don't think I have as strong feelings about music genres as you do then.  It would take something *really* odd (like Garth Brooks in the Metal section) for me to go  :blink:.

If I saw Evanescence in Goth, I basically say "whatever".  If I saw Nightwish in the Rock section, I'd say "whatever".  If I saw Disturbed in Rock..."whatever".  I'm not picky for my own sake.  You'd never catch me saying something like: "OMG! Nightwish isn't Rock, it's Metal!  I wanna speak to your manager!"  :lol
Honestly, it's close enough. :P:
I mainly like to learn the use of categories for the sake of understanding music in general and to help me explain my style of music to others (in case this ever proves to be useful).

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, of course I'm not going to make a fuss over it =P But it's weird, mostly because JD is one of my favourite bands, but lately I found it in the Indie section, so I guess the guys at Fnac have learned a thing or two :D

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmmm, I probably shouldn't have said that I didn't like most metal music, because I do actually. At the time of making this topic, I was very limited to the number of *metal* songs I've listened to, but over the year, I've discovered just how many different kinds of metal there are out there.

I have to say, I'm drifting more towards metal rather than away from it. Alot of my music folder consists of mostly heavy or speed metal. I'm not sure, maybe it's just a teenage thing? :p :DD

But yea, alot of what I said in this topic actually is the other way around now. As I explored more music, I found more different types of metal that I loved, as well as different bands, so my outlook on metal music isn't really nearly as bad as I originally put it.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I can't say that I'm majorly into metal although there are a good few bands and songs that I like. Killswitch, Silverchair, System of a Down and good ol' Metallica!  :^.^: I like metal because I reckon that there is a lot of truth behind the lyrics (provided you can hear what the hell they're saying!  :lol ). Certain songs click with me more than others but I can't say I'm an avid metaller. My little bro is and he gets me into all the latest stuff but once I've heard it, it only stays logged upstairs for a while before I forget about it.

One thing I find a bit disconcerting with metal music is the reams and reams of sub genres. Death, Thrash and I think someone mentioned Viking Metal to me at one point  :huh: That was bizarre! It basically sounded like warcries and army chants to a lead solo! When a genre is broken down into so many different sub-genres, I tend to get lost in it all and I then find I lose interest. I can't say I'd've ever delved into metal music if it hadn't been for my bro...but there are some wickid bands out there that really do kick it some! ;)