The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby and the Gang

MurMur · 30 · 7966

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
What are your opinions on this matter? My vote is YES. Good people like Ruby should be welcomed everywhere.
No Ruby-bashing, please. She's a good person, such people deserve love, not hate. I still don't understand why people don't like this character.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't understand it either. She's unique, has a memorable role as the responsible young surrogate mother, and she had some great lines. Unless you're too bothered by the verbal tic, I don't see any reason to dislike her.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Who doesn't like Ruby? I don't remember much criticism against her.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Some people don't like her, because she's new, and has a funny way of talking. And some even declared her their "least liked LBT character".

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For me, it's a no-brainer. Ruby is actually my favorite LBT character, so of course my answer is yes. :smile

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ha, I notice on the poll their are no 'no' answers!
Yeah, she's a great character. Maybe people don't like her because she's associated with the TV series, which, as we know, isn't the most popular of media. But yeah, I like her.

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: MurMur,May 24 2013 on  11:43 AM
No Ruby-bashing, please. She's a good person,
I like Ruby. Sure she came in out of the blue yonder in retrospect but that doesn't mean that Ruby shouldn't be liked or welcomed.

(F.Y.I. MurMur; Ruby is not a person, but a  Oviraptor!  :DD )

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan 93,May 29 2013 on  01:59 PM
Quote from: MurMur,May 24 2013 on  11:43 AM
No Ruby-bashing, please. She's a good person,
I like Ruby. Sure she came in out of the blue yonder in retrospect but that doesn't mean that Ruby shouldn't be liked or welcomed.

(F.Y.I. MurMur; Ruby is not a person, but a  Oviraptor!  :DD )
You are right, Littlefoot Fan 93! Ruby is the Oviraptor! :lol  :DD  :smile
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
She was a okay character just not a favorite of mine. To me she was just a extra to get some screen time. I'd say no since she isn't that good of a character. She tries yes but she is kinda annoying.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I vote an emphatic yes.  Although, my answer was probably a foregone conclusion considering she is my favorite character.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haven't seen all eps yet but Ruby with no doubt deserves to be called a member of the legendary Gang of Seven :DD
I don't know why some people find her annoying... I personally think that her interligence and her way of speech truly adds something to the Gang plus there are many possibilities for great stories about her since she's quite a complex character as it seems to me :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The first no has gotta come from someone. Call me whatever you want, but the original five is it for me. No Ruby, or Chomper for that matter, should be part of the 'gang'. I don't find her speech annoying or anything, I just can't see someone randomly joining the Gang of Five.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm with Mumbling on this one. I grew up with the gang of five, so to see some one completely new be randomly added in for the sake of having this type of character seemed kind of odd. I was a little more annoyed with her speech pattern too. I don't know, it just got annoying very quickly.

Now where I will disagree with Mumbling is the subject of Chomper. I think he is fine being a member of the gang on the basis that we actually know who he is. Also, even though Chomper has only appeared in two movies, he's made quite an impact on fans. Critics of both movies, II and V, praised him as the best parts, and has appeared in other media outside the movies. It's quite clear that Chomper is one of, if not the most popular character of the franchise, so it makes sense to bring him back for the TV series.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In terms of style the original movie and the sequely (every one of them) are almost two entirely different things.
The very inclusion of Chomper in LBT 2 meant an extreme breach with the entire setting of the original movie. What I always regretted about the inclusion of Chomper is that the movie makers never, ever really bothered to acknowledge the dilemas this means, especially for Littlefoot. It always bucked me how Littlefoot's mother was barely mentioned at all even though memory of her would probably make accepting Chomper even more tricky for Littlefoot than for Cera. They could have gotten a lot more out of the plots with Chomper in LBT 2 and 5.
Moreover there is almost nothing we learned about Chomper in the movies. It was only in the TV series that we got to know a little more more about him while based on movies 2 and 5 only it would prove quite a challenge to say much about his character beyond some very, very general traits.
The question whether or not a character "deserves to be in the gang" is also kind of tricky, for what exactly do we mean to decide when answering yes or no? Are we to decide whether the characters Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike are permitted to have other friends even if they didn't accompany them on their legendary journey during the first movie? Are they too exclusive a club as to allow anyone else in? Or is it more that we don't object to them having other friends, but please outside the screen times?
Have the plots of the TV series suffered from the inclusion of Ruby and Comper compared to the plots of the TV sequels? Opinions vary there, but personally I think the plots of the series were not bad at all and oftentimes Ruby proved a sensible addition.
Chomper's main characteristic (at least until the TV series gave us a little more insight on him) was his species. In case of Ruby however she did in my opinion cover some characteristics which I don't think were covered by any of the existing characters (I posted my view on her in the thread about Ruby). In any case I think she had more to offer for the plots than just the random throwing in of a new name which is so common a trick to draw attention to older franchises that it is sometimes even parodied.
Interestingly enough (looking through fanfictions) many people would probably welcome Ali as a permanent member of the group though when it comes to characteristic features she too comes mainly with shyness (nothing new among the Gang) and the perception of the "sandbox love" between her and Littlefoot that seems to make people more accepting about her than about Ruby.
My main concern about a permanent inclusion of Chomper and Ruby had been that with too many characters the focus would be on a few of them with the others being mostly ignored. However, I think when it comes to the distribution of spotlight the TV series did a pretty good job and compared to many sequels I also think that they got somewhat away from the extreme focus on Littlefoot.
Perhaps a main reason for the high degree of scepticism about Ruby may be that we have hardly any idea where, how and why she entered the story. We get a few basic statements (apparently she promised to Chomper's parents to take care of him) but no real explanation whatsoever. Rather than as a gaping plothole I see this however as an opportunity. An opportunity for us to come up with our own ideas and stories about where, when, how and why Ruby entered the stage. Many fanfiction writers say that it was impossible to write fanfictions based strictly on the land before time universe (short of humans, aliens, timetravel, warfare, zombies etc.) for lack of stories to be told that were more than repetitions of what we have had before. Personally I disagree and see a big story there begging to be told ;)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Exactly she is Just a pointless add on. And she will always be a pointless character. I was always a fan of the original five characters. To me they screwed up big time when they added her. It's called The Gang Of Five not the gang of six.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess I can see both sides - on the one claw (erm hand, listen to me XDD) she is a new addition and doesn't have a huge history with the Gang other than her connection to Chomper.
But why is it her way of speaking is getting a load of dirt? What about Ducky or Petrie? I don't see anything about them. Not that there should be, it's part of their character, so Ruby's way of speaking is hers, and anyway I think it's fun. She comes off as smart that way, I think :smile

So for me, it's a huge yes! I think Ruby's awesome!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
The only good thing about ruby was her song that is it. Other than that nope not a huge fan and she didn't make the show better she made it worse and more horrifying than it all ready was. I found nothing good about her. Not one good quality at all.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd say yes.  There is far more to her than others realize.  End of story!

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
No there is not. There is nothing to her. She didn't deserve to be made. What was her purpose to be made? She was just fluff that didn't need to be there.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Everyone remember to keep personal opinions and facts apart. Remember about opinions to state why you think the way you do, backing up your view with facts or examples from the actual movies.