The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
The issue came up in another thread, and in my opinion it is a good topic for a thread of its own.
Do you think they presented Chomper in a very proper way in LBT 2 and 5?
I'm in some doubts, especially concerning LBT 5 where we can't consider him as quite the hatchling that he was on his first day of life, shown in LBT 2.
In retrospect LBT 5 sort of makes me think that they picked a topic (carnivore / herbivore relationship) and then did whatever possible to avoid addressing the topic.
With everything the younger audience might not want to see being masked out I think we sort of get a wrong image of Chomper and also of Cera's distrust of him. Her distrust in Chomper seems so mean and baseless as we never ever get to see the sharptooth Chomper.
The worst we ever see is him devouring a dragonfly in LBT 2 and that's it. It also seems a little strange that Littlefoot of all dinosaurs is so unbiassed about Chomper. LBT 5 was the first sequel ever to mention Littlefoot's mother, yet there wasn't even the thought of drawing a line between the fact that she was killed by a sharptooth and the fact that Chomper is a sharptooth. Actually I think a kind of internal struggle of Littlefoot would have been a good element in the story (maybe it would have been interesting if Cera's conduct had been the main reason for Littlefoot not to act the same way while he might not nearly have been as protective and trustful about Chomper had it not been for Cera giving such a frightening example to Littlefoot).
Would it have been appropriate to show a hunting Chomper? An eating Chomper? Perhaps so, I am not certain. You all know that I strongly disapprove of mindless blood and gore in LBT, but as for this it would be nature. Blending all that out may create a kind of utopian image and the land before time simply isn't utopia.
I don't know if many of you except for Roger know the cartoon series "The animals of Farthing Wood". In that scene they do show maincharacters hunting (there is even one case in which a character kills another (minor) character because she didn't recognize her). I think the way they showed it in that series would well work out in LBT as well. I do think they shouldn't deny Chomper's nature too much however certain it may be that he wouldn't attack any of his friends, he still would have to eat.
I wonder about Chomper's own stand as well. We see that he despises greenfoot (and they should definitely keep it that way and not mess with nature by making him a herbivore) and we know that he eats meat. Yet I suppose that due to the experiences with Littlefoot and ther others he probably doesn't consider leafeating dinosaurs mere food like his parents do. I even wonder if perhaps he may have had contact with other leafeaters between LBT 2 and 5. If he hadn't it would be difficult to explain how he managed to learn "leafeater language" (better than even Petrie ;)) in just one day, which even happened to be the first in his life. I sometimes wonder if not Chomper to is in a conflict with his conscience sometimes. Maybe the same kind of feeling that might overcome most of us (don't know if there are any vegetarians around here) if we visited a butcher's shop and spend a day observing the whole "process".
I think they could have turned out the sharptooth a little more without making it too much for the younger audience to deal with.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Of course he's tame--otherwise he'd be picking the bones of the main characters in the fifth film.  :wow

Tamed too much?  For the target audience to accept?  Yeah, he takes a nibble on Cera that doesn't even break the skin.  I don't remember him biting anything in the fifth film.  He's a carnivore, but the producers showed him as the type that might go to Ponderosa Steakhouse for the salad bar.  

Its simple--don't show the violence and the tots that are watching the film won't be scared.  Universal likely banked that the older dinosaur buffs would go see The Lost World, so they probably didn't feel the need to show it in their animated sector as well.  Keep the reality that yes, Chomper would usually chow down on Littlefoot and co. out of the film so they can make more films afterward.  :lol:

If you don't like sarcasm, then yes, they probably should've shown at least some psychological side of Chomper trying to resist eating his friends.  At least that would've been more realisitc.

I don't know if many of you except for Roger know the cartoon series "The animals of Farthing Wood". In that scene they do show maincharacters hunting (there is even one case in which a character kills another (minor) character because she didn't recognize her). I think the way they showed it in that series would well work out in LBT as well. I do think they shouldn't deny Chomper's nature too much however certain it may be that he wouldn't attack any of his friends, he still would have to eat.

Don't be too surprised if our other European members here have heard of this show.  US members are another story and I got it because of who I do know, otherwise I wouldn't know of AOFW either.  The fact is, (if you want to debate this go ahead) the US has a way with hiding the harsher side of human life from kids.  The ones who made AOFW did not, and did not have an issue with showing kids that humans can be the bad guys too and animals are at the whim of human activity.  That butcher bird scene in the first season would've been censored for certain back in the early 90s when this show was made. They just did not show that stuff here.  I'll say this, but I think its very true--the Europeans are much more open-minded about some issues and what their kids see than Americans are.  Still holds true today.  However, I think that most cartoons have lightened up in the "violence" aspect, and much more is being presented than it was ten years ago.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To be honest, LBT 5 was one of my least-watched LBT films (seen it all the way through only twice), but I'll try my best to comment, as I consider LBT 2 one of the strongest overall LBT films, and I have a lot of exposure to it.

I believe that bringing Chomper back, at least in the matter that Universal chose to, was somewhat inappropriate.  He was a very interesting addition to LBT 2.  The aspect of Chomper's parents decending into the Great Valley to retrieve their child, while the Valley inhabitants were horrified to see what had come to their homeland, added in the aspect of multiculturalism, and I feel it even somewhat reflects back to our own world: No matter what the Human Race does, we will never live in peace with one another.  It's not in our biological nature; just like the Sharpteeth depend on the leafeaters for food, humans depend on beliefs.  Conflicts in beliefs directly translate into cultural conflicts, which may, in turn lead to physical conflicts (ie. war.  See the Middle East, the Holy Land, and the United States, with Religion as the central issue in many cases, as a case study.)

Anyways, Chomper's character in LBT 2 was suitable.  The fact that no wounds were shown when Cera was bitten does not surprise me.  This is very typical of the series, and wounds are generally only shown either:
1) On a central character in a Very important scene, such as Littlefoot's mother's wound after being bitten, or Doc's scar in LBT 6.

2) On an "evil" character, showing that he has been overcome or weakened.  See the sharptooth battle near the end of LBT 5.

The series Never shows a child character being wounded, probably mainly due to the sensitivity of the issue.  If Chomper would have bitten Cera hard enough to have drawn blood and caused a more serious injury, perhaps the Gang would have been a little more cautious around Chomper, but there is no edivence that he could bite through the thick hide of a dinosaur.  Even when he attacks the Egg eaters, they were stunned for a few seconds, but no damage was done.  I honestly don't think he had the jaw strength or control to bite Through a dinosaur hide as a newborn.  Perhaps sharpteeth's parents break down the meat before the young feast on it.

I can't help but think that Chomper must feel guilty about eating someone who can talk to him, and he can understand.  Time has progressed enough that Chomper must have eaten Something between when he was born, and when the gang found him again (aside from insects, I mean, what Sharptooth lives on insects?  Maybe baby sharpteeth, I don't know... :lol )
If a sharptooth becomes tame, it will not survive.  A hunter's only chance for survival, unless it's a scavenger, is to attack and eat its' prey.  Therefore, Chomper must have eaten some sort of meat during his life.  Perhaps his parents killed all of his food before he even saw it, so he was never exposed to killing a leafeater.  Possible, yes.  However I have trouble believing that Chomper's parents would hide a rudimentary skill like hunting from Chomper's exposure.  It is necessary for his survival, so one would think that his parents would be concerned that he be exposed to it, and learn how to hunt for himself, as early in his life as possible.

There is not any Hard evidence that Chomper is "tame", as we never see him exposed to any leafeaters aside from his Friends.  I do, however, have a difficult time believing that, especially since Chomper clearly states that there isn't much to eat on the Island, he isn't somehow tempted to devour his friends at some point.  Though perhaps he's so excited to meet someone he knows, that it didn't even cross his mind to any extent.  

The island Must be larger than it appears, as we never see a single leafeater on the island.  There must be Some, or the sharpteeth would never have ended up there in the first place, though now they have no choice but to remain, unless they hitch a ride across Big Water from a sharptooth swimmer or something  :p I don't know where they could go with that.

I honestly don't know what Chomper would do in the event that he ran into a leafeater that he didn't know, and I think we need to know this before we can decide whether or not Chomper is truly Tame.  If he is tame, then I seriously worry about his survival.  Otherwise, Chomper is simply a sharptooth with a good heart, and a bilingual tongue :P:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I find it rather hard to believe that Chomper is tame, based on the fact that he hunted the gang like a real predator before recgonizing them. (Amazing that he even remembered them.  Most kids don't remember stuff from that point in childhood.) I fell like I've said enough.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
A question: why does Chomper have 3 fingers in LBT 5 and in the series? In LBT 2 he had only 2 fingers, like all other Tyrannosauruses.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
most likely a re-edited with Chomper to do with the fingers as for taming him down I am not sure even to answer that one since everyone from what I heard finds him to be one of the cutest of the Land Before Time and no one seem to be bothered that his a friendly sharptooth, guess the reasons for that is making him more unqiue then the other sharpteeth. (sorry for bad spelling)

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Simple reason for the extra fingure is so he has a more useable hand. He uses the xtra digit like a semi thumb to let him grip things like rock as seen in lonely journey.

In the first 2 chomper apearances this wasnt needed. I do think he had 3 in 5 though. Again same thing he needed to grip objects more human like.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Great idea for a thread. I personally think Little Foot wanted to befriend and raise Chomper as means of healing his own heart over what happened to his mother. Little Foot doesn't hold grudges, if anyone should be prejudiced against Sharpteeth it would be Little Foot, but in point of fact he is the least upset over Chomper and wants to keep him in the Great Valley. Could it be that Little Foot's bond with Chomper is some kind of way he is holding on to his mother? I am going psychological here, but bear with me, by being a close friend to Chomper could Little Foot be dealing with the loss of his mother to a Sharptooth?

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I mostly concur with Malte's opinion on Chomper. In the light of TLBT being a children-friendly show, this is not really criticism of the show at all but, still, I think it would have been more realistic and much better story-wise if Littlefoot had shown some sort of internal struggle about meeting Chomper. Likewise, I frankly wouldn't have minded a more sharptooth-like Chomper who is actually causing real tension due to his carnivorous nature in LBT 5...
Inactive, probably forever.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Chomper has been affected by his hatchling years of being raised by Herbivores. He never is going to be quite the Sharptooth, because deep down he will always remember Little Foot, Auntie Cera, Ducky, Petire, and Spike.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Of course he is :) I'm not saying he should become the next Redclaw, just wishing he'd been a little scarier at times :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 4 2017 on  01:30 PM
Of course he is :) I'm not saying he should become the next Redclaw, just wishing he'd been a little scarier at times :p
I wish he would be more ferocious too, but in order for that to happen I think he would need to become a teen and adult T-Rex.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
What would have been interesting is to explore Chomper's Sharptooth instincts, that say Little Foot or a member of Gang gets injured, and the scent of blood makes Chomper like Bruce in Finding Nemo or Alex in the first Madagascar, go crazy.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I can agree that they should have added that part in so we could of seen that side of chomper. It would have been very awesome to see

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 6 2017 on  07:22 PM
Yeah I can agree that they should have added that part in so we could of seen that side of chomper. It would have been very awesome to see
Indeed, they could have done it innocent enough, like Chomper biting Cera in LBT II.