The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Development Team and things to be done

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
**NOTE**
Just letting everyone know, I will be attempting to keep this first post updated with the latest status and needs of the project.  You don't have to read through all the posts here all the time.  This first post will have the latest news. :)

Hi all!  I apologize for the lack of organization with regards to what needs to be worked on and who is working on what.  :oops  :oops  In order to fix this, I decided to set up this topic for everyone, including myself, to understand what we actually need to work on and who is doing what. :p

First things first, who is currently working on the game?

Project Lead: Action9000

Programming: Action9000

2D Maps: Malte279

2D Graphics: Mumbling, Sky, Action9000 (mainly temporary graphics)

Conversion of 2D maps to 3D maps: Action9000

3D Modelling: Razzie, Littlefoot1616, raga, Darkwolf91

It looks like this is one our problems: I don't really know exactly who else is very involved in the project, since we have posts scattered all over the place.  I know we have many ideas for tasks, gameplay, etc. by many people, as well as many people playtesting the releases that I post up.  

Anyway, I'd like to get rid of any confusion here. :)
Where are we in development?
We're still at the point where most of the work, and the slowest progress, is the programming.  Also, we will be at this point for a long time.  It's the nature of making a video game. :p I'm not looking to add more programmers to the team because I don't expect anyone to learn to read my code, as that would be a painful experience. :p

We have Immediate use for anyone who wishes to do the following:
You will have the best idea of what all this means if you run the game and play around with it for a bit. :)

Please note the colour code:

Green: Anything that currently needs to be worked on and doesn't have anyone really working on it yet.

Yellow: Somebody is currently working on it with unknown progress or we could possibly add more people to this assignment.

Red: This is progressing well and no further help is needed at the moment.

2D Graphics:
1) Health/Energy bars and any associated graphics.  See the top-left corner of the screen. [EDIT] Mumbling is working on these now. :)

2) The "Character stats" window when you press the C key.

3) Any cursor/mouse pointer graphics for the following conditions:
- Basic cursor when nothing special is happening
- graphic when the cursor is over an NPC
[EDIT] Lillefot and DarkWolf have both mentioned that they wanted to work on these. :)

4) When you left-click an NPC or other creature, I was planning on having a graphic appear in the top-middle of the screen or so.  I will draw a mockup of this in photoshop real quick, of what I mean (ignore the arrow on the left :p) :

It doesn't have to be that ugly or in that layout, this is just an example. :p

5) A "Dialog" window that pops up when a player talks to an NPC.  This window will show all of the spoken text.  Preferrably includes "previous page" and "next page" buttons, as well as an "Accept" button, all of which can appear as either greyed out or clickable, depending on what is being said (I'll handle that coding but I need those graphics.) [EDIT] Mumbling is working on this window now. :)

6) 2D Maps:
Malte is working on this as soon as he can.

3D Modelling:
3D Objects: Trees and rocks, mainly.  DarkWolf will be working on these

Littlefoot: Model complete, animation incomplete - Razzie

Ruby: In progress - Razzie

Ducky: Work in Progress - DarkWolf91
Model complete, animation incomplete - Razzie

Cera: Model complete, animation incomplete - Razzie

Petrie: Model in progress - Razzie

Spike: Model complete, animation incomplete - Razzie

Mr. Threehorn - Razzie
Mr. Clubtail - Razzie

Still need people to model:
Grandma/Grandpa longneck

Ducky's Mom
Petrie's Mom

*NOTE* Please understand that I am still not entirely clear how we will be applying textures to the 3D models in the game yet.  What we intend to do eventually is to use these "Gang member" models as a base for our playable characters as well as the NPCs.  The problem comes in with customization: allowing the player to choose a colour, etc.  As far as I can tell, I can only apply one texture to each object, but I am still playing around with this.

If it is the case that I can only apply one texture to each object, like it looks like, that means eventually I will need the three different-coloured pieces of each dino separate so I can switch all three of the colours appropriately in the code. Another possibility is to model every possible combination but that's both a lot of work and a waste of memory while reducing customization options.

This basically means that a model of Ducky with all of the colours put together as a single model will not let us use that model for any character other than Ducky.  We won't be able to adapt it for other characters because I will have no way to change out multiple textures on a single object from within the code.  

I'm happy to explain this in more detail if anyone has questions. :)

Scripts, Tasks and Text:
This involves the dialog and descriptions of tasks.  When a player interacts with an NPC, what is said?

What do we need right now?
We have six adult NPCs on the map right now:
Grandpa Longneck
Mr. Threehorn
Ducky's Mom
Petrie's Mom
Mr. Clubtail
Buzz Conedrin :p

Anyone who wants to work on basic tasks for our player to do, possibly relating to these NPCs (preferrably not Buzz Conedrin :p), please feel free!

If anyone who wants to create some task dialog for any of the dino types except the Flyer (I haven't coded in flying at all yet and I'm not ready to deal with flying tasks at this point), I could put that into the game right away.

Malte, are you still interested in doing this at some point? :)

I hope this helps clear things up a little bit.  If anyone has any questions, please let me know! :D

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I'd like to try to model Ducky, if that's alright :)
That will take some time and some doing, but I think from a more immediate standpoint I could currently do some background elements. What kind of background elements would you prefer me to work on modeling first? (Trees, rocks, seaweed, etc.)

Also: This is great organization! It makes everything a lot clearer, awesome work.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
If I have time, I'll work on tasks dialog and text. I have no programming experience so all I can do is provide the writing.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd like to try to model Ducky, if that's alright
That would be awesome! :)

Please read the latest changes to the 3d modelling section of the first post.  I added in a bunch of important details.
Thanks!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can offer screenshots, if I had a way to get them to others, though I doubt that would help any.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's see... I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to do some 3D characters seeing on how quickly I read through that user manual help thing :p If ever, I might be able to work on small details but I fear doing whole characters is nothing good for me. Maybe later.

As for the graphics, I'd love to work on a menu. :)

And this organisation is pretty good actually. :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Alrighty!

I'll pull your name off the 3D stuff and I really look forward to what ya come up with for the menu, your buttons have been awesome so far. :angel  :D

Ah, I'm sure it'll be great. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Feb 10 2009 on  08:25 AM
I'll pull your name off the 3D stuff and I really look forward to what ya come up with for the menu, your buttons have been awesome so far. :angel  :D
 :smile

I'll try using thesame font and stuff, and also editing the back button to have the look like it's being pressed down(like the start one)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I wish i could help you, but unfortunately, i'm almost unfamiliar with 3D modelling. :(
Say, maybe i'll be able to help you with coding?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Please read the latest changes to the 3d modelling section of the first post. I added in a bunch of important details.
Alright, read 'em.  That makes a lot of sense... I suppose the models should be left unpainted until we figure this thing out?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

Action: I checked out that program my brother mentioned about applying textures to 3D models; ZBrush. I found a few pros and cons with it. Good news is, firstly it DOES exist. My brother wasn't talking non's (for a change)  :DD And it's perfectly viable to apply some pretty impressive skins, textures and material effects to a model. It's an industry standard package so that's a good sign...

But, in that lies the problem. It's industry standard so therefore it's not freeware. And their asking price for a single license has a rather scary tag of $595 (and an additional $595 for every other user if bought in bulk)  :blink: In short, I think this is a no-goer purely because it's too sodding well expensive <_< Sorry mate  :( They do offer a 30-day trial package so maybe that could be used to our advantage once we get the block models done. But as of yet it doesn't seem to be much of a sound move right now.

On the modelling side of things, I'll take up attempting to model Ruby (-esque characters). I'm still flicking through the tutorials for Blender but the knowledge banks are filling. Hopefully I can produce something soon!

Will keep the forum posted ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Have those who are working on the graphics decided to use 1 certain program, or one that they are most familiar with?  That does sound like a rather expensive price, though they may be use to having companies as their usual customers.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Please read the latest changes to the 3d modelling section of the first post. I added in a bunch of important details.

Ok, I'm a long while from a textured spike anyway so hopefully some solution will show up by then.

And their asking price for a single license has a rather scary tag of $595

yikes, thats pretty much all I have to say to that

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i've mentioned that i might do 3D modeling and/or level design (for lack of a better word) when needed. I've gone through a bit of the blender tutorial, but i haven't done very much lately because of college. Once i get further trough the tutorial and better at modeling i might have a better idea if i want to do it but right now im not sure.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

I've just learned a few tricks and tips on how to model birds and avian creatures. To which I thought I'd trade my initial proposal for taking on Ruby to picking up Petrie instead.

Action: Gonna do a little research into Blender to see if a little mechanics application can be added to models. I'll discuss it with you the next time we bump into each other online Action. I'll let you in on what I'm scheming... ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Made some more adjustments to the organization of the first post. Does the colour coding make sense? :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I love the color coding! It's very clear and informative, nice addition.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome, thank ya! :)

I'll do my best to keep up with updating that first post so everyone knows what's going on.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the ideas of the colored text.  I could help in screen shots, if needed, and maybe some tasks and task dialog.  Not much I know.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oooh, I just had a neat idea for the cursor graphics! I think I could take those on if they're still open.