The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Character Development in the series

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
So, I was looking at the "Top 10 Favorite Characters" thread and the "Top 10 Characters you Hate" thread and I was looking at everyone's opinions about different characters. I also was thinking about how over the years how the character development was handled with this series.

To be honest, I think in the end, while the animation was very beautiful and bright to attract the kids to the screen...that's really it. I find that the producers are very repeitive with their characters. I'll give Mr. Three Horn as an example. So in the first two sequels, we have him as a racist, predijuced character who loves his daughter, but is overprotective. In the third sequel, he realizes that yelling will not do anything to Cera other then have her act the same way he does. But in the next few sequels, he continues it as if that whole scenario NEVER HAPPENED! He even gets to the point to trying to kill the Tinysaursies in the eleventh sequel.

It's like these people think kids are stupid and won't pay attention to these things. Of course, the directors DID switch for a bit. They had Roy Allen Smith directing the first few sequels, then Charles Grosvener comes in....it seems good for a bit.

Then these characters start having double personalities, then there is the tv series...hardly ANY of the characters are acting like themselves! What? So it's a children's series and you can sell crap to these kids because they wouldn't know the difference? :rolleyes

Sooo what do you guys think of the character development in these series?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Heh. I've been doing some serious thinking and I'm kinda glad they didn't bring back Pterano, as much as I (and you too, Rat Lady) love him. Either they'd make him more egotistical than before or make him a total softie...*snort*

Petrie, as mentioned before, was especially butchered. Who was the one who flew up high during a freaking SNOW STORM and nearly froze his wings (eww)...or pecked a sharptooth in the eye. You'd think he'd be a lot bolder after getting eye-to-eye (literally) with a sharptooth.

Think about this for a moment.
For some people-ESPECIALLY teenagers-they learn an important lesson, but they sometimes neglect it. I do that A LOT and I get the same speech over and over again. I KNOW what's right in the back of my mind, but I just neglect what's important.

I am NOT in the state for making long posts at the moment  :lol

As for the bright colors. No...thank...you. Or the computer-like movements. I noticed that it got bright at least after seven. 1-7 had great colors in my opinion...then they got blinding.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's an easy way write.  Lazy writing some would call it.  Part of why some if not many or most franchises end up ending is for similar reasons.  Thinking it's cheaper, or folks don't care, won't notice, so they can do lazy writing, hire cheaper writers, or sticking with the same writers who have run out of ideas.  Also some other reasons are once they see they have a popular franchise some if not many higher ups come in and start dictating changes to the writers and such who were given more free reign before.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^That's a good point too Kor, in the end, it's just a business. <_<

And Ptyra, I understand that some people learn more slowly at life lessons then others, but the fact the series does that to some of these characters in EVERY SINGLE movie, it becomes really repetitive and very annoying for the viewers.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Ptyra,Jan 20 2010 on  11:06 PM
Petrie, as mentioned before, was especially butchered. Who was the one who flew up high during a freaking SNOW STORM and nearly froze his wings (eww)...or pecked a sharptooth in the eye. You'd think he'd be a lot bolder after getting eye-to-eye (literally) with a sharptooth.

I think Petrie's cowardice in the TV series may be the result of pressure from all the adventures he had experienced beforehand. Constantly facing danger could cause someone to gain so much courage that they'd boldly face anything..or it could make them more easily petrified. Since the gang has been in danger so often, that might have caused Petrie to become extremely cautious by the time the series comes around.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I think some character development has definitely occurred with Mr. Threehorn (though most of it seems to have happened before Charles Grosvenorówho, frankly, seems to have little respect for continuity, or, in recent years, viewers’ intelligence :rolleyesótook over). In his first appearance, he obviously didn't want Littlefoot to come near Cera, and, implicitly, considered longnecks stupid. In the second movie, he is still against the idea of Cera playing with non-threehorns, but when he is briefly seen witnessing her doing so (immediately before the song "Peaceful Valley"), he does not intervene. In LBT III, he is quick to attempt to prohibit Cera from playing with Littlefoot after accusing the latter of wasting water (though it may be worth noting that he was already riled up because of the water crisis, and likely felt humiliated when he was accidentally splashed), but by the end of the movie, he seems to accept the value of cooperation, and that yelling is far from an ideal parenting method. He also appears to have developed a greater respect for longnecks, as, following the fire, he openly admits that Grandma Longneck is right, and thanks her. After this movie, we never see him attempt to prevent Cera from playing with the others again.

In V, Mr. Threehorn continues to show contempt for longnecks (though, realistically, this is a trait he would probably never lose), but he goes along with Grandpa Longneck’s decision to keep the herds together (if he argued at all, it was not shown). Eventually, however, he decides that the herds should split up. This could be taken as the first example of continuity ignorance on Grosvenor’s part, as Mr. Threehorn again seems to be favoring segregation (evidently having forgotten his lesson from III), but it could just as easily be argued that he was influenced by the combined stresses of lack of food and water, days of traveling under harsh conditions, and conflicting opinions on which direction to take (the same conditions, incidentally, that caused the gang to split up in the first movie).

(This is all I have for now. My brain has apparently gone dry. :wacko)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.