The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The fate of Papa Flyer and Pterano's role in it.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Note: For reference, the links below go together.  They make up the backstory for the epic two-part finale of Land Before Time.  It will be a PG movie (unlike anything before it), due to more violence than normal and a few more frightening scenes than normal.  

The Old One Backstory and Fate

Pterano and Papa Flyer Story

Gallim's Backstory and Story
Gallim's Backstory and Story

This story takes place during a fanfic of mine.  My two-part finale that I always like to yap about.  

Pterano and his brother-in-law got along really well.  He had met him shortly before he had wedded his sister.  He was best man at their Union Ceremony.  (Dino wedding.)  

Sometime later, his sister and her mate had their first batch of hatchlings.  The three of them thought they were all adorable.  

Pterano loved to tell his nephew Petrie stories.  Petrie seemed odder than the others, as he liked to climb trees rather than fly.  Pterano and his brother-in-law tried to teach him how to fly, but he seemed unable to do it.

However, clouds came over Pterano's relationship with his family.  He met Rinkus and Sierra, who were, at least in his mind, the best of pals.  

"I don't like Rinkus and Sierra.  Particularly Sierra." his brother-in-law had told him.  However, Pterano didn't listen too well.  Over time, Rinkus and Sierra got Pterano's head full of all of the wrong ideas.  Pterano soon came to think he should rule a herd.  

The other Pteranodons didn't quite agree with him.   This made him upset.  However, he kept trying as the years went by.

Five years after Petrie and his siblings hatched, Pterano was with Rinkus and Sierra.  "Ditch them and come with us!  We can help you to greatness!" said Sierra.  "Ditch them?  But they are my family!"  Pterano protested.   "Who cares about them?  They're pathetic and will never be anything!   You could be.  They, no!" snapped Rinkus.  WHAP!  Pterano hit Rinkus.  "They are my family!  You don't ditch family!" said Pterano angrily.  

Sierra was going to try and strangle Pterano right then, but Rinkus gave him a "Not now." look and he backed off.

Just then, the earth shook.  "Cut it out guys!" said Pterano.  "It's not me!" said Rinkus.  The earth kept shaking.  Pterano, Rinkus, and Sierra took to the skies.  In the Great Earthshake, he got separated from his family.  At last, the earth stopped shaking.  "My family!  I lost them!" said Pterano.  

"Who cares?" said Sierra.  Pterano whapped him.  They eventually landed.  He found his sister and her husband at least.  Petrie was gone.  He felt so sorry for poor Petrie.  

They soon formed a combined herd.  Pterano kept up with his attempts to lead a herd.  Finally, one day, he got many to follow him.  "This should be good." said Rinkus.  "Yes, our charismatic friend will be just the ticket to help us take over the leaf eater world."  grinned Sierra evilly.

However, things soon went south.  At one point, the herd was unaware.  Sharpteeth were coming.  Pterano's brother-in-law awoke.  He saw them coming.  He yelled, waking the herd.    Pterano awoke.  A Sharptooth grabbed his sister's husband.  Papa Flyer knew that he only had a few moments to live.  He cried "Save yourself Pterano!  Promise me you'll find and take care of Petrie!  Promise you'll be a father to him!" he said.  He then was ripped to bits and eaten by the Sharpteeth, though Pterano couldn't bear to watch this.  

Pterano tried to help the rest of his herd, but they were trapped.  At last, he was only able to save himself.  "Bravo.  At least you helped out the most important of the group." said Sierra.  Pterano couldn't even bring himself to hit him, so stricken with grief was he.

He couldn't even bring himself to apologize, as he felt it would mean admitting that his sister's mate was dead because of him.  Instead, he tried to pass it off as bad luck, hoping to ease his guilt.  He hoped to be rid of Rinkus and Sierra, who, he saw, had led him down the wrong path.

However, one of the longneck leaders of the herd, as well as a Threehorn leader named Topps, both suggested that Pterano not be allowed in the Great Valley ever for his bad leadership and stubbornness and pride.   Topps had lost his wife and most of his kids to Sharpteeth earlier.  He had one older daughter, Olivia, with him still and the whereabouts of his daughter Cera were unknown.  

As for the longneck leader, his daughter Arianna had vanished, as had his grandson Littlefoot.  His son-in-law Bron had been missing for years.  

Neither of them felt in a very good mood and so his punishment seemed certain to last.  Pterano fell into despair and had to watch in misery as the herd left him behind.  

Now, all he had left was Rinkus and Sierra.  He stayed with them, for they were all he had left.....unless.....unless....Petrie!  

He had to find his nephew!  It might be his way to get redemption!   He searched though, for years and years in the Mysterious Beyond, but never found a trace of Petrie.  He fell into despair.

One day, having lost hope of finding Petrie, Pterano went to the Great Valley, at the urging of Rinkus and Sierra.  While there, he saw something that he couldn't believe.  Petrie was there!  His heart lept!  

However, it soon fell again.  He was still banished for life.  How could he fulfill his brother-in-law's final request?  Petrie wasn't likely to want to leave the Great Valley for good.

He soon, however, found an opportunity.  He heard the Rainbow Faces talking about the Stone of Cold Fire.  It would give him power.   With that power, he could overrule the longneck leader and Topps.  He could also be the leader he always wanted to be.

He introduced himself to Petrie, who was elated to see his uncle again.  Petrie's friends, a longneck, a three horn, a spike tail, and a swimmer, however, didn't seem to trust him.  Pterano had heard that the longneck, Littlefoot, knew where the Stone of Cold Fire had landed.  However, Littlefoot wasn't telling him that much.  As much as he hated to use his nephew, this was the only way they could be together.  

While planning though, Ducky overheard him.  He didn't want to sink to kidnapping, but, if she talked, his plans would go up in smoke.   He and Rinkus and Sierra took her.  Her crying alerted others, but at least it allowed him to get away and blackmail the others.  Petrie seemed upset, though he still defended him.  Pterano sighed.  He wondered what Petrie would say if he knew the full truth about him.

Pterano was getting really disturbed by the behavior of Rinkus and Sierra.  They were eviller than many Sharpteeth out there.  Rinkus had been willing to leave Ducky behind on a ledge, possibly to starve in the Mysterious Beyond.   Sierra had almost killed Ducky a few times.  At one point, Ducky fell and Pterano thought that she had met a tragic end.  He felt awful.   How many more must die around me?  He thought.

Sierra, however, replied "Who cares?  You should be used to this sort of thing by now."  Pterano didn't reply.  Though he had seen too much death, it never became nothing to him anymore.  As bad as he had sunk, he still wasn't cold-hearted like Sierra.  

Sierra later suggested, when Petarno was worried about the kids, who had tailed them, that the first thing that he was going to do when he took over was to feed the kids to the Sharpteeth.

Pterano was taken aback.  His brother-in-law had been right.  Rinkus and Sierra were bad friends.  There was no doubt about it.  Sierra was a murderer .  However, he still needed that stone and turning on them now would be a bad idea.

Little did he realize that they planned to turn on him as well.  At one point, Rinkus and Sierra had even made him chase the kids.  He was hoping to be rid of them somehow, for they were very evil.  

At last, they eventually came to the stone.  He tried to get the power, hoping to set things right so he could be back with his nephew.  However, the Stone didn't work.  He was heartbroken.

Rinkus and Sierra, wanting the power for themselves, had pushed him out of the way and tried to get the power themselves.  It wasn't working for them either.

Then, things happened and his sister came along.  At one point, Ducky, who he had been relieved to find out was still alive, slipped and fell over the edge.  He recalled how he had failed before.  He wasn't going to fail this time.  He dove after her and caught her.  

Rinkus and Sierra, meanwhile, were knocked away by an explosion and thrown into the air.  Pterano personally hoped that they died.  They were very dangerous and would harm more lives if they still were around.

He went back to the Great Valley.  Perhaps they would kill him for kidnapping the swimmer.  He was, however, going to man up and accept responsibility for a change.  It was the only way he could ever hope to overcome his grief.  

Much to his surprise, they seemed to have forgiven him for the kidnapping thing, and, as he had saved Ducky's life and had manned up to his actions, his banishment was reduced from life to five more cold times.

Petrie was upset about the banishment, but, being a change Pteranodon, Pterano said that he hoped to see Petrie again and that the banishment was just and that he must accept responsibility for his actions.  

Pterano hoped to see Petrie again and vowed to fulfill his brother-in-law's final request upon his return.

[Note, this is going into a TV Series fanfic part of mine.  I'll get to that eventually.]  

After the five cold times were up, Pterano was flying back to the Great Valley.  He also came across Guido.  Both of them noticed that Dil and Ichy and Rinkus and Sierra were chasing the kids and it looked bad.  

As it turned out, Dil and Ichy had met Rinkus and Sierra, and, having decided that they all hated the kids and wanted to get them.  Sierra appeared to have been trying to make good  on his plan to feed the kids to Sharpteeth.  Pterano was disgusted that he had once considered the two to be his friends.  

He and Guido warned the adults and they came and were able to rescue the kids, including a pink Bothtooth  and a purple Sharptooth.  Dil and Ichy had fled, deciding that the kids weren't worth chasing after.

Rinkus and Sierra, however, had a few choice words for him and Guido before leaving, saying that they'd kill them if it was the last thing they did.   They then took off.  

The purple Sharptooth, a two-footer, was named Chomper and he appeared to be on the side of the Great Valley, fighting against Dil and Ichy and Rinkus and Sierra.  

Pterano had been accepted back and now was going to fulfill his brother-in-law's last request.  He would be a father to Petrie.  

Sometime later, Chomper and Ruby left, Red Claw appearing to have met his end.  

He was there when Arnold the Bothtooth had come (See Land Before Time XIV: The Friendly Sharptooth Flyer) and had helped protect his sister from Agatha.  They had adopted Arnold.

(This is now coming into Land Before Time XVII: The Terror of the Mysterious Beyond Part 1: The Bothtooth Tyrant)  

Eventually, it was near time for Petrie to come of age.  However, outside of  the Great Valley, things were taking a darker turn.  Red Claw had come back and had more Fast Biters with him than ever.   Also, a new fiend had been going around, and neither leaf eaters nor Sharpteeth seemed safe from him.   Leaf Eaters seemed to be bearing the brunt of it and Sharpteeth were definitely involved in the attack.  However, what seemed very strange is how none of the leaf eaters seemed to have seen it coming.  But whoever heard of a Sharptooth that Leaf Eaters would feel safe enough around not to suspect an attack??

But, there was something else besides Petrie coming of age and the fiends of the Mysterious Beyond,  Pterano had married a flyer himself and Petrie had an aunt.  Also, there was another thing, his nephew was in love.  He was in love with Perrin, a cute flyer girl.  She was braver than Petrie and Peterano thought she was good for him.  She wasn't quite as funny as his nephew, but Pterano knew that there was something about her that drew her to him.

One day, Ali's herd came to the Great Valley.  They too had been bothered by Red Claw and the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond.  By the way Littlefoot and Ali looked at each other, he knew they were in love too.  They weren't the only ones.  Cera, Ducky, and Spike had lovers too.

There was a new guy named Gallim the Gallimimus.  He came with Odul, Ela, Finley, and Liz, also Gallimimuses.  Gallim also seemed to be charismatic like himself.   He certainly seemed to have a way of getting others to follow him.

As time went by, eventually things took a turn for the worse.  It appeared that Chomper, who had come to the Great Valley, and had seemed nice, had joined with a member of the Valley of Sharpteeth and killed the One One.  Littlefoot had said it was an accident.

However, the Longneck had been punished for his role in the escape of the Sharpteeth.   He had been told the would never be part of the adult leadership and that any further rule breaking would lead to his banishment, permanently.  

[I Poor Littlefoot.  [/I] Pterano thought.   [I} He seems to have picked the wrong friends.  I know what that's like.   [/I]

After the funeral of the Old One, Pterano found Petrie.  Petrie was looking forward to his 25th Star Day and was wishing his father had been there with him.  Pterano felt that it was finally time to tell his nephew the truth.

"Petrie, there is something you should know.  I was going to tell you when you were older.  Well, now you're older."   "What is it Uncle Pterano?" said Petrie.  Pterano sighed.  "Petrie, it's about your father."

"What about me father?  Me wish that he could have seen me fly.  He'd have loved that.  Wish he could have met Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, and Spike.   Me really wish he could have met Perrin.  It so sad that he die in Myterious Beyond." said Petrie.   This is going to break his heart.   Pterano thought.  

"Petrie, your father, he followed me.  He was the first one killed by the Sharpteeth.  When he was attacked, we knew they were coming.  It was because of him that I was able to live. I owe my life to your father.  That could have been me.  It should have been me. " said Pterano, shedding a tear.  His nephew was dumbfounded.  

"You mean.....?" said his nephew in total shock.  Pterano really felt sorry for him.  "Yes, I'm sorry Petrie.  Very sorry."

Petrie sobbed for a long while.  Pterano tried to put a wing around him to comfort him.  However, his nephew pulled away from him, glaring angrily at him.  " And to think that me once look up to you!  Well, that thing of the past!  We through!" said Petrie.  "Petrie, I'm sorry.  I..... "  said Pterano, trying to calm his nephew down.  Petrie flew into his uncle and knocked him down.  Petrie then took off.  "Petrie!  Petrie!" Pterano called after him.  

Petrie came near his girlfriend Perrin.  He was still crying.  " Petrie, you look heartbroken." said Perrin.    "This worst time of me life.  First Chomper become bad Sharptooth, now me find out this!" sobbed Petrie.  Perrin came up to Petrie to comfort him.   "I'm saddened too by Chomper's betrayal of us Petrie.  What else is bothering you?  You can always tell me." she said.   "Me hate Uncle Pterano and never talk to him again!  It because of him that me no have a father!" said Petrie angrily.  

Perrin hugged Petrie.   "Petrie, what happened?" she asked.  He hugged her back.  He kept on crying.  "He think he so smart and brave and lead me father and others.  They came across Sharpteeth and they....they.... " he said, unable to say it.  But she knew what he meant.   "Oh Petrie!  I'm so sorry!"  "Me thoughtt that me could trust Pterano and Chomper but me wrong.  Me big fool!" said Petrie, sobbing.  Perrin stroked Petrie's wings.  She was near tears herself.   "It'll be ok Petrie.  It'll be ok." she said.   "At least me stilll have you. " he said, hugging her tightly.   They stayed there, hugging each other tightly and crying.

Pterano, meanwhile, could only watch them.  Petrie would never talk to him.  How could he be like a father to him now?  Pterano wasn't sure what to do.

Note: This is where it ends, though this conflict will be resolved in my Land Before Time XVII Part 2 movie.