The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Big Gang of Five Meeting?

Mumbling · 129 · 23147

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh it would be awesome, but unfortunately, I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get an opportunity like that. It is my destiny not to meet any of the people I want to meet on here, and I have learned to accept that :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^What if one of us unexpectedly showed up at your house one day?  How would that feel?

With the money I have saved up, I could easily arrange something like this.  So for now, count me in, just give me an exact date at least a month in advance. (This is just so that I can set it up at work.)

If anything changes though, I'll let you guys know. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Jun 21 2011 on  01:14 AM
Summer 2012. A lot of things can happen by then. If I find a job I would definitely put some money aside for attending a European meeting. I'm very eager to meet some GOF members in person :). However, France is a bit far from my place, but not terribly far. For me it would be much better if the meeting takes place in Germany. There are a bunch of charter flights to German cities from Zagreb, which isn't true for French cities (our ties with France are much weaker). An even better choice would be Austria. Austria would be fantastic. Germany is fine, France and Benelux are acceptable. But the UK or Scandinavia are out of the question for me.
France was just a random shoutout. Of course there are other, more central locations which can be picked instead :)

That's awesome John :)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Actually, when I thin about it, depending on when exactly in the summer of 2012 this could happen, I could be 18 by then, making his a whole lot easier.

And I looked up prices on flights/rides to France, and you're right. They aren't that pricey at all. If there was a Euro meetup, I'd think FRance might be the best bet, since it is relatively easy to reach for alot of people.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
everybody in the European region should be able to meet, because the price of travelling from one country to another isn't that expensive, however, when it comes to crossing oceans, that's when you get the problem.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I like the idea, but it would be hard for members outside EU or US to join in. ;)

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually quite like this idea. But the fact that some members live across oceans is a bit of a problem. But if this were to transpire, I would say that maybe there would be a way to have some sort of meeting via video chat. For instance, those in the U.S. would gather in a specified location and those in European countries would do the same. Then we could connect via some sort of video chat. Get a big screen TV, a PC, Video Camera, and something to connect PC and TV. Same could be said for members in other areas of the world. I for one am all in for this, as long as it is scheduled on a date good for me. And I wouldn't know what kind of location this would all take place. Someone else could think of that. I think this idea sounds great. And if there are any flaws in my plan, which I know there are (just not aware of them), point them out.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Jun 21 2011 on  09:58 AM
I actually quite like this idea. But the fact that some members live across oceans is a bit of a problem. But if this were to transpire, I would say that maybe there would be a way to have some sort of meeting via video chat. For instance, those in the U.S. would gather in a specified location and those in European countries would do the same. Then we could connect via some sort of video chat. Get a big screen TV, a PC, Video Camera, and something to connect PC and TV. Same could be said for members in other areas of the world. I for one am all in for this, as long as it is scheduled on a date good for me. And I wouldn't know what kind of location this would all take place. Someone else could think of that. I think this idea sounds great. And if there are any flaws in my plan, which I know there are (just not aware of them), point them out.
We thought of this too :) Possibly there could be some kind of livestream through skype running 24/7.

@Coyote, there are quite some members from Moscow. If they would all travel together it might be doable to come to Europe :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
The idea appeals to me, even though the idea of meeting a whole group of GOF members in person makes me feel shy just thinking about it. :oops Sadly, I don't think it would be that feasible for me; I've never spent any time far away from home unaccompanied by my family, and I've never been to another country. (I don't even know how much the tickets would cost. :rolleyes) It's an opportunity I would accept if it were feasible for me, but realistically, I doubt I'd be able to make it. :(

P.S. I wasn't entirely sure whether to vote "Yes, I'd like to if money and free time permits me" or "Maybe if…"; I ended up going with the latter.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that most of the GoF members are not used to staying in larger groups and therefore shyness will be a common occurrence.. I'm glad at least that most people like the idea :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
This sounds like a cool idea. Summer 2012 doesn't quite work for me, but if that meeting is successful and more come around, it would be a great excuse to visit Europe again. So mine is, "Maybe, if there are subsequent meetings after the first one :yes"

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
I would love to go in a real life GOF meeting! But, unfortunately, that will still take some years for me, since i'm still having school. Once I will be able to go to other countries and have a job, I can meet up with you guys anytime, anywhere.  :DD  Since i'm planning on to travel around the world  :smile

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm very new to this community, plus I live out of the way in Australia, so I wouldnt be able to do this unless I'm going to Europe for some other reason.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^^What if one of us unexpectedly showed up at your house one day? How would that feel?
That would be pretty amazing, though I'd have to give ya'll my exact address otherwise you'd be trying every door in pawtucket :lol:

And I like the idea with the video chat. I could probably buy a huge, secondary monitor and a really high def webcam cheaper than I could fly to Europe :p

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Jun 21 2011 on  09:00 AM
^^What if one of us unexpectedly showed up at your house one day? How would that feel?
That would be pretty amazing, though I'd have to give ya'll my exact address otherwise you'd be trying every door in pawtucket :lol:

And I like the idea with the video chat. I could probably buy a huge, secondary monitor and a really high def webcam cheaper than I could fly to Europe :p
Yeah, I don't have a webcam, but I'd buy one to be able to interact in a GoF meeting. If it's in Europe, it would be very big thing for me to do. It would be only the second time I've been out of Texas, and the VERY first time I've ever been out of the country!
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What we could do, along the lines of the big video conference idea, is take polls for both our European and American members, and based on votes of those interested in attending, pick central locations (one to possibly three in the US, and same for Europe, though would probably need less for Europe) off of those votes, and thus it could be a series of meetings globally, connected via the web. That way it would help support a larger base of meetings, and not leave half of the site left out if it's just going to be held on one continent or the other, plus be less of a financial strain for those attending as well.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very true. However as I said I cannot take any responsibility for organizing stuff in the USA so members would have to organize it themselves.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Perfectly fine with me, provided others like the idea. :smile

I wouldn't mind conducting the poll for the American side, and going from there. I think I'll wait a minimum of a few weeks though, as I'd like to wait and see how I did on my FSOT, as that will give me a good idea of what I'll be doing next year myself.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Concerning the skype videoconferencing idea, you have to remember, it's a rather expensive option. Good quality webcams, as well as videoconferencing software, are pretty pricey. Most free programs, or free trials will allow around 3 different cams on one chat.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, if you have 2 locations than honestly do you need more webcams?