The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

[VO] Voice-over Main Discussion Topic

Ducky123 · 178 · 35006

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Wow! That's really impressive! I think it's perfect!  :DD

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Diddy, your Petrie voice is just absolutely adorable! I can only echo the thoughts of what other people here said already. :DD

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah you completely nailed the voice! Awesome job!  :Mo

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As an additional thought - perhaps it'd be nice to cover 'If we hold on together' again for the final credits. There is a cover already made by the GoF over 12 years ago, but a reboot might be a nice idea with members that are currently active. Do you guys like that idea and would anyone be up for singing it?

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
As an additional thought - perhaps it'd be nice to cover 'If we hold on together' again for the final credits. There is a cover already made by the GoF over 12 years ago, but a reboot might be a nice idea with members that are currently active. Do you guys like that idea and would anyone be up for singing it?

Do you suggest that there should be a solo singer, or are you picturing the characters singing it?

Oh, and thanks, everyone! :)petrie I'm so touched!
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wasn't thinking of a solo thing, but rather a mix of many voices like we used to do for the singing projects. Would be a nice personal twist to the complete file :)

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I personally think it'd be cute if I sang it along with whomever gets the roles for Littlefoot, Cera and Ducky. We could each have our own solo at various points during the verses and the bridge, and obviously all four of us would sing the chorus. The McAfee/Curzon version gave me that idea.

My natural singing voice is actually quite ... m-meh. I'm not confident with it. However, my softer Petrie singing voice is actually okay. A few months ago, I recorded myself reciting a scene from one of my own fanfics, as both Petrie and his mother (because I wasn't brave enough to ask anyone else to help me out), and at one point Petrie sings over the Tears for Fears song I placed in the story. The last line of the song, in particular, seemed to have sounded so eerily like Jeff once I listened to it.

So, yeah, I sorta practiced ahead of time before I got myself into this! :)petrie

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
There's not much I can add to what everyone else already said, but still, that was an excellent job there. Well done! You could've done the actual voice in one of the sequels and I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Petrie would be so proud of you.
:)petrie
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:02:35 AM by StardustSoldier »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally think it'd be cute if I sang it along with whomever gets the roles for Littlefoot, Cera and Ducky. We could each have our own solo at various points during the verses and the bridge, and obviously all four of us would sing the chorus. The McAfee/Curzon version gave me that idea.
It's a nice idea - I'm just not sure if we can convince everyone who does a main character voice to sing along. Plus there might be others who wish to sing, but not join into the voice-over. Anyway, just an idea, not necessarily something we have to go along with :)

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It's a nice idea - I'm just not sure if we can convince everyone who does a main character voice to sing along. Plus there might be others who wish to sing, but not join into the voice-over. Anyway, just an idea, not necessarily something we have to go along with :)

That's okay with me if we don't have to do it that way. Just thought it'd be cute. :smile

Like I said, I'm not the best singer in the world. If we ever end up doing the sequels, I'd probably be okay trying to do Petrie's singing voice. Preferably, I'd try to mimic his singing from movie 5 onwards. His singing sounded rather low in II, III and IV, and he barely had any solo parts in those movies before The Mysterious Island came out and his singing voice greatly improved, although it probably wasn't until movie 7 when he got his first true solo part in a song ("Good Inside").

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think you guys need to worry about be able to sing. It's been ages since we've last done a singing project but from what I recall we weren't that good :lol

I'd like to say that I would want to join in on that but given my current track record with my voice acting laziness I'm not sure if I can say that with confidence :p
Could be pretty fun though!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah it definitely isn't about quality with the singing projects, haha. Cough. Moreso about making something that is ours, together! :D

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I've been curious for a while ...

Do you use the stereo track for the movie or do you use a surround sound track?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Stereo! Not on purpose, I just don't have access to a surround sound version and I'm not 100% sure if I could easily render that either.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I happen to have the surround sound version. :)petrie

And I have quite some experience with surround sound editing on Audacity and Vegas.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I happen to have the surround sound version. :)petrie

And I have quite some experience with surround sound editing on Audacity and Vegas.
Ah cool! I am using Vegas Pro 14 for the video editing part and while I'm quite adept at it, I'm afraid I'm rather bad at distinguishing all the different file formats for rendering (so I tend to just go with wmv since that's an easy format to work with). But even if I did know which file format to use, I still don't have the surround sound file to work with.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I use Vegas Pro 14.0 as well. I tend to use the MP4 video format, and my preferred audio format is MP3, but WAV will work, too. The audio for this one, though, is in the .ts format, which I'm not sure will work on Vegas, so I'd have to use Audacity for that file. Still, it works. It just takes a while to load because Audacity can be a bit slow with hour-long surround sound files, as was the case while I was getting ready to record Petrie. I opened the surround sound file and muted all the tracks except for the one that had the voices in it so that it'd be easier for me to listen in for those Petrie noises.

Oh, by the way, I can't whistle, so we'd probably have to keep the original whistle in with my spitting.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, by the way, I can't whistle...
You're really secretly Petrie, aren't you? ;)

I opened the surround sound file and muted all the tracks except for the one that had the voices in it so that it'd be easier for me to listen in for those Petrie noises.

You can DO THIS? Can you do it the other way around too and render a voice-less file? That would be properly amazing, as I've currently just used a very basic program to remove vocals from the track. Doesn't work very well with echos as you heard with Ducky in that clip of yours.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
You're really secretly Petrie, aren't you? ;)

LOL! :)petrie

You can DO THIS? Can you do it the other way around too and render a voice-less file? That would be properly amazing, as I've currently just used a very basic program to remove vocals from the track. Doesn't work very well with echos as you heard with Ducky in that clip of yours.

In fact, I can. All I would do is open the file in Audacity, and it'll give me six mono tracks, each containing different portions of the audio, and I would mute the one with the voices in it. I'd probably align our voices first before muting the originals so that everything is in the right place. We'd get perfectly clear music (for the most part) and sound effects.

Oh, and yeah, the echoes can be heard in some of the other tracks, too. I will say, hearing Judith's echo in my sample video gave me chills, well, because we all know what happened to her. :(petrie It felt like listening to someone ... who wasn't even there, because that just so happens to be the truth. She never lived to see this masterpiece. :cry