The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Remaking LBT Songs or Music *Survey*

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all, I'm setting up another survey! :lol

I have decided that I would like to pursue more advanced methods of producing LBT-based music.  The next logical step is to take the existing songs and alter their sound or style in order to remake of enhance them (known as ReMixing).

My question now, is what styles of music do people want to see LBT songs made into?  I have tools to create virtually any style, from rock, to pop, to techno, to new-age, to choral, to orchestral.  Take your pick of Any style, I'm sure I have a synthesizer kicking around somewhere! B)  Anyone who took part in the first Karaoke project saw my remixing abilities; I wrote an instrumental remix of If We Hold On Together for us to sing to, which turned out rather nicely. :)

I want to remix some LBT music, but I am at a loss of where to start.  Does anyone like any certain styles of music, or would anyone like to see LBT songs/music remixed into a certain style/genre?  I'm happy to work with any style! B)

I've heard a number of people mention rock (Littlefoot Fan, myself), techno (Littlefoot1616), and instrumental/orchestral (RR, Malte).

So my question: What style of music would you like to see more of?  I'm just lacking inspiration and I need some direction to turn. :P:

I shall offer some other comments to maybe assist you in a decision:
Would anyone like to see a Powerful rock or techno remake of an LBT song?  :P: Just picture a rock or dance version of "Adventuring";  That may get pretty funky! B)

I wonder how "Always There" would sound played in a traditional style, using folk instruments such as pan flutes and native percussion.

A full orchestral arrangement of "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" or "Family" may turn out to be very beautiful.

some LBT songs would be rather hard to remix, but for the most part, it seems very possible to me.

I only have one restriction: I have No way of inserting vocals electronically that sound Any good at all.  Even though I'll be work in MP3 instead of MIDI files, vocals are still out of the question (Unless someone wants to buy me a copy of Symphonic Choirs for $1000, Then I can do vocals! :p )  I also don't plan on using actual clips of the original MP3s in my remixes.  I'll be doing 100% of the music composition myself.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'd say techno just because I want to hear you do that. :lol:  I still like my instrumental choice, but I wouldn't mind something way out there for some uniqueness.  ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In contrast to my usual stand I may be somewhat conservative if it comes to music. I'm not very impressed by the types of music which are defined by volume, extreme bases, and electronic sounds rather than melody. However, I'm very ignorant if it comes to identifying a given song as belonging to whatever kind of music genre.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In contrast to my usual stand I may be somewhat conservative if it comes to music. I'm not very impressed by the types of music which are defined by volume, extreme bases, and electronic sounds rather than melody.
Then I shall guarantee to you that no matter which style I choose, I shall keep it musically coherant and not overly obtrusive or overly harsh to listen to.

I'd say techno just because I want to hear you do that.  I still like my instrumental choice, but I wouldn't mind something way out there for some uniqueness. 
LOL I'm game! :P:   I'll see what I can whip up :nyah

tobeysan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://tobeysan.homeip.net
Heh, since all LBT's music seems to be very orchestral, why not remix it so it's like rock or like dance, maybe add a electric guitar  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
why not remix it so it's like rock or like dance, maybe add a electric guitar
I'll leave the guitar remix in your hands.  I like the idea you have on that so far.  Keep it up! B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Still planning a techno remix when you have free time, now that you have a day job and all, Tim?  B)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm playing with the techno remix, but it's taking some time.  This isn't the first style I ever learned. :P: I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing, LOL :lol
If We Hold On - Techno Remix, coming soon!

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I wonder how "Always There" would sound played in a traditional style, using folk instruments such as pan flutes and native percussion.

I've always thought that the "tribal" style you describe would fit LBT very well. More primal, more prehistoric!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still planning a techno remix when you have free time, now that you have a day job and all, Tim?
I've been doing a bit of work on the techno remix.  It is not a style I have played with very much.  
I made one attempt at this remix but I decided I didn't like how it was progressing.  
As a result, I tore it up and restarted from scratch.  
This second attempt is going much better.  The downside is, this second attempt is proving to be more intricate, demanding more from my computer.  
This is do-able, but my sortware consistantly crashes, mainly due to lack of memory.  
It's amazing how little 2 GB can really do sometimes...

Here's a screenshot of the program in action, with the remix loaded up as a project file.  
The Task manager shows memory use of over 1 GB for this single program.
Unfortunately, that number seems to increase sharply over a relatively small amount of time.  
Writing this is proving to be fairly hard on my computer.  I have yet to find a workaround for my instability.  
More RAM won't help; My computer has 3 GB of memory installed, but Windows XP (the 32-bit version, anyway)
can only assign up to 2 GB of memory for each application.
That is my bottleneck. :blink:

Anyway, it is progressing, and I'm very happy with how it's going so far.  
I'll try to complete it, as soon as possible! :wow

[EDIT] 15 minutes later, and FL crashed Again on me, due to lack of memory! Luckily, after the first time it happened,
I've resorted to saving after every change I make. :P: [/EDIT]

[ANOTHER EDIT] Yay! :D  I was playing with my settings, and found a way to reduce the memory load of this project from 1.2 GB to 500 MB!  
It's amazing how much more stable it's running now. :wow  
[/ANOTHER EDIT]

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm, ok I'm starting to realize why I don't normally work with techno-style music.  Apparently, it's becoming more of a disco style than a techno/dance style. :P:

Well, I'll see what I can do, LOL :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah that cymbal backbeat gave it a disco feel on the sample you gave me. :p  If you make that all bass you'll probably be in better shape.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If you make that all bass you'll probably be in better shape.
You know, that may actually help.

I work 9-hour shifts all week, and I'll be sleeping throughout most of Saturday (I'll be up all night friday night).  I don't suspect I'll have much time to work on...anything in the near future. :(

Dengar

• Ruby
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The 1800s, hmm...  The Romantic period of music history.  This would likely consist of clean orchestral arrengements, using many instruments known in the classical period.  No drum kits, no synthesizers, no fancy guitars...
Sounds straight-forward enough.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dengar,Jul 1 2006 on  01:19 AM
You can also try early 1900s.
^ Depending on how "early" you mean, its still largely accoustic instruments.  Things didn't get really electrified until the Jazz age.

Perhaps we should let Tim finish one sample before we flood him with suggestions.  :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Things didn't get really electrified until the Jazz age.

A little ironic doing acoustic music on a computer :P: but anywho, I think I've come up with a better idea than screwing around with good existing music:

Every LBT film has an "opening theme" music that plays during the title screen and opening narration.  My plan is to remake the opening music from each sequel (not the original, as it can be found on the soundtrack, therefore it is a waste of effort to do so with the original) for the purpose of removing all sound effects and spoken elements and providing the opening music to the LBT community, narrator-free. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I consider this a really splendid idea. Many of the opening themes are unique and are not repeated throughout the movies or the closing credits (which unlike the opening themes come along without any voice interference. I'm really looking forward to listen to the pure opening themes  :)