The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart Prompt Challenge Discussion

Ducky123 · 455 · 56164

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We've talked a little on discord about this idea and I think it's not a bad shot at all. Provided the other regular participants do not object (and, in particular, Erica who is helping me out running this) then we could really consider changing the format. I am certainly open to it, yep yep yep :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've talked to both of you a bit on this on Discord now so you probably are aware of my stance on this but I'll make it official.

I am in agreement with this change. I've never cared too much about the voting part and was more interested in coming up with fanart and seeing what others do as well (and we've only had enough participation on 3 prompts to allow for voting anyways so it's not like we'd be missing that much). I can see how the voting could be a deterrent so if this change will make others want to join in as well then I'm all for it.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I think that's a great idea! The voting doesn't really add too much to the prompts. I've been thinking about a way to do banners for this, and I like the idea of using artwork from the prompts for it. We'll just have to decide on a way to make them 'upgradable' based on participation.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think that's a great idea! The voting doesn't really add too much to the prompts. I've been thinking about a way to do banners for this, and I like the idea of using artwork from the prompts for it. We'll just have to decide on a way to make them 'upgradable' based on participation.
Awesome! Well, I think we have a majority now to go ahead with it.

In terms of making them upgradeable... Perhaps we could do something similar to the Fanfiction awards banner, just indicate a number of submissions for that year? I can't think of anything more creative, but am open to other ideas!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I believe that is the best option

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Friendly reminder that the deadline is approaching. If you need more time please let me know before Wednesday :)

I guess I should start to think about what to draw  :sducky

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I should hopefully be on time for this one. Was gonna work on it a bit more this past weekend but was kinda sick.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I haven't received any inquiries for extentions so I'll consider the March/April prompt completed here (I still need to colour mine but I submitted... the lineart at least :D)

It seemed to me that nobody has any objections against cancelling the voting system so no voting will be held (although we should work on our participation banner concept a little more so we can hand out those soon :) )

The new prompt is hereby open

May/Jun

One Word Prompt: Out of Character

Descriptive Prompt: We all have these moments when we're not ourselves. Draw a scene of any LBT character acting in a way that's unexpected of them, in a way they usually wouldn't act, be it a tame Cera or a smart Yellowbelly!

On another note, this contest will be hosted on deviantART as well starting with this prompt. You can thank @Mumbling for this development and I'll announce it on the official LBT Fanclub we're running on there soon. Those of you who are on deviantART please consider submitting your entries to the site as well so we can give them some exposture in the group's gallery as well (and those of you who aren't on there, you can consider joining or giving Mumbling permission to upload them on DeviantART through the group account which had been used to upload fanart from GoF members to the group before many years ago). This development will not have any impact on the prompt challenge here on the forum, it's just in the hope to spark some more LBT fanart from some of those amazing artists on that site who aren't members of the forum :)

NOTE: masterlist not up to date yet, will get to that soon.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm I'll still have to think of something for this prompt. Nothing that comes to mind right away.

Just linking to the DeviantArt group in case people want to join and perhaps submit previous entries for the prompts: https://www.deviantart.com/lbtfanclub

It'd be really cool if you could make a mention of the GoF or link to the forum in the description of your art work! No requirements of course, but we have noticed that the Fanfiction Prompts have led a lot of new members to the forum, and we'd love for the Fanart Prompts to have the same influence! :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just curious if anyone is planning on joining in on this prompt? Mines gonna end up being fairly minimal but I should have something done in time.

As for DA, I've made the incredible stride of making an account but still haven't actually uploaded anything :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I haven't been on DA in ages... and I'm not sure if I'll become active there again. After not being there in a while, I feel no desire to go there again since usually I've just wasted time trying to stay up to date with things lol

Anyway, I'm not sure if I will submit something. I definitely want to but... I dunno, art never quite works out for me and I'll probably end up not coloring it again :sducky:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So I was thinking about potential banners earlier this week and got inspired by the fanfiction banners that DH has made, but slightly adapted to our needs. Here's my suggestion for a Fanart Prompt 2019 banner, with tree stars that can be filled depending on which prompts you have participated in for the year.

Let me know what you guys think!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I love the idea of Littlefoot with a paintbrush! While I personally feel like the placement of the treestars could be adjusted I can totally get behind this banner!  :)littlefoot

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Eh, technically those fan art prompt posters is a fan art itself, isn't it? I could see myself voting on that. :P
But anyways, that looks like an awesome idea! It's visually appealing for sure. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Eh, technically those fan art prompt posters is a fan art itself, isn't it? I could see myself voting on that. :P
But anyways, that looks like an awesome idea! It's visually appealing for sure. :)

Oh yes, this banner should be seen separately from the awards (if that is the vote you are referring to). It is moreso a participation trophy :yes

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
There's so many good artists there, I wonder why here's little entries for prompt.

Yesterday I thought about an idea: what about making one big collab picture? Everyone will take their specific part of planned picture, everyone would draw with his own style his character/background element, but at the end everything will be neatly combined to single one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:59:35 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ I guess it just takes too much time for most people to join into these prompts. However, people from all skill levels are welcome to join!

A collab picture sounds like a fun idea, but might be difficult to coordinate. If others think that it is a good idea too, I can create a separate topic for that.

@Flathead770 is something like the attached picture preferable?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah Iris I think that looks a lot better personally!  :smile

A collab idea has been brought up before but as Iris mentioned coordinating would be a fairly big challenge. An issue with me would be that I mostly deal with traditional art and a collab would require it to be digital. Using Inkscape I've been able to create emotes fairly well but any changes that I want to do require me to either redraw my drawing by hand or try to modify it with a mouse and both of them sound undesirable for any larger scale drawing.

That being said I still am up for the idea of a collaboration (specifically the idea for the collab that came up when Rhombus wanted an image of the gang on the edge of a cliff looking over the Great Valley)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is there anyone with inspiration for the current prompt that wishes to share it with me? I can't think of a proper scene at all, but would like to contribute.