The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Would a 3D LBT be good or bad?

Ruby2 · 21 · 3503

Ruby2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
If Land Before Time switched to 3D instead of 2D, would it be an improvement or a bad thing?  (Assume that quality of the plot isn't changed one bit by this one way or the other.)

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Do you mean switched to CGI? Or "Pop-out" 3D?

Cause 3D would be awesome! Just like when the Lion King 3D was in theaters.  :DD

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think Ruby means CGI. And honestly, in today's world where every Disney movie is a CGI release, it would probably do well among children. It's the 'animation of today'.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Honestly:
this is my worst NIGHTMARE

last years I have feared they will convert LBT to 3D...

my point: I don't want it happens
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Personally I just can't see LBT  in CGI..it just does not seem right. Some movies should never be made CGI..LBT is one of them. If I wanted a CGI dinosaur  movie I'd go watch Jurassic World or Disney's 'Dinosaur'

Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer traditional animation, I love some CGI movies like Disney's 'Bolt' but give me good old traditional animation any day. The animators have to draw and animate every single frame...while CGI the computer does most of the work.

If the new LBT is CGI I would be highly disappointed, I want the classic LBT animation style back. More like the first movie..but slim chance of that..

I would think it would be cool if they re-released the original LBT in theaters in HD and 3D like they did with The Lion King...come on guys..picture Littlefoot's Mother fighting Sharptooth in 3D...might even bring in new fans to the series.

I would jump at the chance to see LBT on the big screen, 3D or not. I wasn't even born when it was first released.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
CGI animation has made some of the best animated films of this generation, such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Shrek, and Frozen, to name a few. If I want to watch anything CGI, I'll go watch such films, because I just don't think it belongs in LBT...at least not just yet. It's something I don't really see happening, and certainly hope not to see happen anytime soon.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is more likely to be a bad thing than a good thing. They also made a CGI animated version of Winnie the Pooh I think and it just wasn't the same :(
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
CGI has to some extend already been used in LBT. I think the first time was in the opening of LBT 7 where I got to say it looked really terrible and artificial. Same goes for moments in LBT 10 (the scene in which Littlefoot runs along the branch before spotting the crater valley) where the CGI in my opinion looked like the graphics of a poor computer game. On the other hand I think there was some good use of what I assume to have been CGI in LBT 9 where I believe it was used to create some water effects which, I think fitted in nicely. If used correctly CGI needn't constitute a total breach of style, but if used poorly it may become just that.

Pinky997

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I wouldn't like it. It's like how they changed that kids show Franklin to CGI. When I saw my little cousin watching it I was like, "What the heck happened to Franklin?". I would though, be kind of interested to see what the characters looked like in a more CGI form (as fan art, not an actual movie).

Pinky997

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 6 2015 on  10:22 AM
CGI has to some extend already been used in LBT. I think the first time was in the opening of LBT 7 where I got to say it looked really terrible and artificial. Same goes for moments in LBT 10 (the scene in which Littlefoot runs along the branch before spotting the crater valley) where the CGI in my opinion looked like the graphics of a poor computer game. On the other hand I think there was some good use of what I assume to have been CGI in LBT 9 where I believe it was used to create some water effects which, I think fitted in nicely. If used correctly CGI needn't constitute a total breach of style, but if used poorly it may become just that.
I remember that branch scene, I always knew something was off about it.
Yeah, I suppose if they kept the "cartoony" style it could look good. When I think GCI though I picture the characters looking like disney and pixar characters. I don't know that I've seen a full CGI movie in the "cartoon" style of LBT..

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Nah, I don't think it'd work. LBT looks perfect already in 2D animation. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I just can't see Land Before Time working as a CG animated movie. Like Dr. Rex said, it's perfect in 2D and I don't think it needs to be changed. In fact, if there are anymore LBT movies after Journey of the Brave, I really hope they're done in the same 2D style.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jul 6 2015 on  07:55 AM
It is more likely to be a bad thing than a good thing. They also made a CGI animated version of Winnie the Pooh I think and it just wasn't the same :(
Oh yes, I believe I saw that. The animation was definitely irksome for me. <_<

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I am accustomed to LBT in 2D, but I would like it too, if plot was equally interesting, because simply I like LBT, and any new movie or series would be welcome.
One thing, which I would like very much, would be LBT 3D Remastered movies.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I'm not completely against the idea of a 3D LBT, but certainly more against it than for it. I too am accustomed to LBT in 2D, and I'm more partial to hand-drawn animation in general, especially these days since it's not as common as it used to be.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Honestly I wouldn't mind it as long as it looks good or at the very least decent.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:56:28 PM by LittleDas75 »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
That said, I don't think I would mind too much in this case because, well, it's still another new LBT film at all. :Mo

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I'd definitely still go see it in 3D. I have nothing against it.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I think Disney’s Dinosaur is the closest we will get to a successful 3D dino film that is close to LBT. The Good Dinosaur is kinda the obvious black viel telling us a 3D LBT will not do well.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith