The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Does LBT make you cry?

Hyp · 141 · 24196

Hyp

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I watched it again last night because I couldn't sleep (stupid insomnia...), and I was trying so hard not to cry, but I couldn't help it. It's just so sad. Does LBT make you cry or does it just make you sad? Or...can you watch it without crying or being sad at all?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The first few times when I watched it, I was about 7 or 8 years old, so of course I may have cried once or felt sad.  I guess it takes a bit of time, but I do get a little sad when I watch it nowadays.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The original LBT really does tug at your heartstrings but there is nothing wrong with showing your emotions. If crying was something that shouldn't be expressed they why would we have such an emotion.  :^.^:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
IT depends on how into I am at the moment, but yes, that film is capable of making me cry.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
LBT has never once made me cry.  Can't for the life of me figure out why since I get choked up when you hear that gunshot in Bambi...must be subliminal. :P:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Yes, LBT has repeatedly made me cry. It is remarkable as I rarely cry, too rarely perhaps. As a matter of fact LBT and most of the sequels make me sort of sad if I watch them. Happy but sad. It is difficult to explain.
Somebody once said that "Melancholy is the pleasure you gain from being sad". I suppose it is something along that lines.
At all events I'm quite sure that if it hadn't been for the sadness caused by what I might call sentimental or emotional value I would not be a land before time fan.

Christian

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lbt-gallery.de.vu
LBT definitely made and makes me cry. I like films, that cause melancholic feelings. There are some other films that make me cry, again and again. Does any know "The Green Mile" with Tom Hanks? Or "Schindler's List"? These are some of my favorite films, and LBT of course!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, Schindler's List did.  :cry2  :cry2

Fox MacCoy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Uhh... yes. Sometimes I can not control myself when I watch LBT1 or LBT8.  :cry

.Fox

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The original LBT and LBT 4 are the one's who did it! But only the first times I've watched them... I guess the effect wores out after you've watched them a couple of 100 times  :D
I also cry when I see romantic films, but only in the good one's like Moulin Rouge, ahh I loved that movie  :rolleyes:
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Dogstar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I dont cry but i do find it sad, especially when Little Foots mother dies

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It never really made me cry but I do really get extremely choked up. :cry2

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh gosh.  I just watched the movie again and believe it or not, I actually cried this time.  I mean, I've come close to crying before but this time, I acrually cried.  I'm glad I watch the movie in my room so nobody could see me.  I haven't cried about a movie since I saw Lassie Come Home. :cry2  :(  :cry2  :cry2  :cry  I know Lassie made me cry.  Bambi also made me cry. But I still think Littlefoot's mother dying is the saddest thing I ever saw in any movie. :cry2

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ironically, it wasn't the moment of Littlefoot's mother's death that that brought me closest to tears, though that was certainly a sad time in the film.

The moment of discovery of the Great Valley carried great joy, and it was actually this point in the film where I began to get choked up; It's hard to explain, but I've always been one to get the most choked up over the "happy" scenes, as opposed to the "Sad" scenes.  A lot of people think this is odd, and I *Think* I know why I'm like that, but it's a long, weird story that I'm not even sure I can explain properly, so I won't :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm getting chocked up at the happy scenes rather than the sad scenes myself. The discovery of the Great Valley you named is the most distinct case. Not particularly happy, but also scenes which move me very much (though I usually never reach the point of tear shedding; sometimes I think I cry to rarely) are the goodbye scenes with Chomper, Ali, Mo etc. sometimes scenes in which something important is said (e.g. LBT 4 "Maybe we'll all life together some day") have a similar effect on me. The background music plays an important role in this stiring of emotion I think.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm completely with you on that, Malte.  I mentioned the discovery of the Great Valley, mainly because this post was made in the 1998 Theatrical Release forum, and to me, it was a powerful moment in the film.

For me, I found that two moments in LBT 8,
1) When Spike first arrived at the hot spring with his herd, and the Gang saw him again for the first time
2) When Spike's "mother" rescued Spike from the ice; "Of course I did; He's my boy!"
were very emotional.

Another very powerful moment to me, is near the ending of LBT 10, which is why I enjoy the film as a whole, and the song "Bestest Friends" so much.  The thought of the number of experiences the gang has had, and the attachment they have for each other, is truly brought out in this song, and this moment in the movie.  The first time I watched it especially, when I didn't know exactly how Littlefoot would respond to the decision that was to be made, made it a Very emotional ending to the movie.  His Grandparents were overjoyed to see Littlefoot returning home with them; the Gang could stay together (if Universal really wanted to, they could have ended the series right there, with Littlefoot leaving.  I'm very thankful they didn't take that route out, for a number of reasons), and we got to see the true closeness the Gang has to each other, and to Littlefoot.
To me, this is the essence of the series (friendship, overcoming challenges against all odds, and on some level, love), and these moments showed those elements in detail, which are among my favorite moments in the LBT series.

Also included, are all those that Malte mentioned (Ali leaving in LBT 4, Mo Leaving in LBT 9), though for Whatever reason, I couldn't get As attached to Chomper.  I didn't get the same impact when Chomper left after LBT 2.

What did get me though, was the joy when the Gang was Finally with their families again, at the end of LBT 5.  That is another moment I very much enjoyed.

I'm in full agreement with you, again, Malte, that the music does indeed play an important role in the emotional effects of a scene.  Even the song "Bestest Friends" (I know I'm referring to this song a lot.  As you can tell, I like it :p) has some highly emotional elements.  The first time I heard Cera sing her solo lines in the song, I just thought it was beautiful to see this side of her.  I knew she had it in her, but it is shown so rarely anymore.
"...No matter where you are..."
"...I'll see you in my dreams..."
Gorgeous song, and A Very good ending to a flawed, yet still entertaining film; LBT 10.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There were some strong emotional moments in LBT 8 which I may not have as strong an impact on me as they should have. As for the edge of tears which is the topic in this thread I think only the departure of Spike and Ducky's reaction might possibly get me anywhere near it, though not quite. [As I was writing this message it drifted away from the topic to a degree that made me post what I wrote as an own topic in the After Midnight section]
Another very powerful moment to me, is near the ending of LBT 10, which is why I enjoy the film as a whole, and the song "Bestest Friends" so much.
However much I disliked most parts of LBT 10 "Bestest Friends" made me cry I think. Not like tears running down my cheeks, but I sure had to wipe my eyes.
I didn't get the same impact when Chomper left after LBT 2.
My watching LBT 2 after years of disregard contributed a huge deal to bring back my interest in the land before time. I did cry (not necessarily right in front of the screen) repeatedly in the weeks following my "rediscovery" of LBT in december 1998 at first through LBT 2 and LBT 3. I think the leaving of Chomper and the song "kids like us" were the parts that got through to me most in these two movies. Though I think for some reason the scene when Littlefoot and the others discover the water in the Mysterious Beyond ("And it have water! Whole bunches!") too was quite strong as far as I'm concerned.
What did get me though, was the joy when the Gang was Finally with their families again, at the end of LBT 5.
I really liked that scene very, very much. If it comes to the edge of tears though I think the parting from Chomper was "closer to the edge" for me than the reunion with their families.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If I never held it all in, I would be crying my eyes out. Yea I try really hard to suck it up since I watch them with my sister :lol I  really hate showing those types of emotions in front of my family but if I was with a friend for some reason, I wouldn't care if he saw me or not.

I think the most saddest moment is indeed (As I stated in a previosu topic  :lol) the part at the end of 10 when Littlefoot was about to leave and they're singing that song. Nnnooo Littlefoot! Don't go!  :cry

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
The first LBT never made me cry.  Whenever the death of LF's mother comes up, I don't feel any emotion at all.  Maybe it has to do with watching a lot of R rated movies.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I remember crying a few times especially when Little Foot's mom dies and Littlefoot is calling "Mother, Mother" The other time is when they play that music at the end right about when Littlefoot feels he could never find the Great Valley.