The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What do you DISLIKE the most about TLBT?

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
We all talked about the things we liked about TLBT...but how about what he hated most? ;3 Eh? Come on, spill your guts. We're not here to judge you. This site isn't a contest on who's the biggest fan...just tell us how you feel.

Personally, I dislike the lack of competent villains.

What about you?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Bad songs (I'd be happy if they didn't sing at all.)

Villians don't pose enough of a threat.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Quote from: Serris,Aug 17 2008 on  08:35 PM
Bad songs (I'd be happy if they didn't sing at all.)

Villians don't pose enough of a threat.
Yes...my favourite is when Shorty 'tripped' the sharptooth...wow...how...lame.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some are how the villains are not competent, others are the number of 1 shot characters, many of which live in the Great Valley and should be seen, at least in back ground shots if nothing else.  The way it seems the gang are the only kids in the valley.  Farwalker herds having at most 1 kid.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally dislike how so many people think of LBT as childish. Would that count? If not, I think that the overdone singing.

Oh, by the way, Achillobator, I love the xkcd thing in your sig. I love xkcd.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The songs. God, if they can't think up anything good then why do they even do it at all? And even if you had to have a song, why not use a pre-existing one?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I want no more song like oops eeps
(Jedi472 if your message thing didn't tell you I sent you a PM with a Youtube link to a vid of Star wars bloopers.)

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Villians are  too lame.Chopper is more threatening and he  is only a baby.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The movies are too short.  1.5-2 hours would be perfect.  I hour and 14 minutes just doesn't cut it for me.

EDIT:  And no directors I'm not suggesting adding more songs to fill up time. :p

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Sometimes the movies get to childish for me. But that¥s all.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have to agree with LBT/cty lover and LBTlover on this one.
To quote LBT/cty lover: True, I don't see the point of it.
And they could've been longer, yeah.

Songs. Nothing against them, but they appear quite frequently... Not even talking about the series.  :rolleyes:

And yes, Indeed it seems like the Gang are the only kids...

That's all I can think of for now.

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Actually it is not like we have been ignoring what we dislike about LBT in discussions so far. ;)

I certainly agree with those who named poor villains (I guess I will never stop ranting about those sharptoothed toys for little dinosaur kids we saw in LBT 10). However, what makes me really angry are plotholes and lack of coherence. There are some plotholes which may be possible to swallow when we don't have to think too much about them as they are not too important for the general way of the plot (e.g. such contradictions of the laws of nature as provided by a wave rolling from the coast towards the open sea in LBT 5), but the total messing up of earlier movies and lack of any logic in the explanation of Bron's absences in LBT 10 made me really furious! :bang
I heartily dislike some of the effects some movie maker seems to be very fond of, namely the turning red of everything in case of danger.
I do not support the calls of some fans for the inclusion of Science Fiction or other non-LBT elements (they should have kept the rainbowfaces mysterious in my opinion), but I agree that the makers of LBT should guard against kidifying the series as has been done in recent sequels. There is a way to make the stories suitable for children without making them too corny for grownups. The makers of the movies should not forget about that balance.
As for the songs, there are some which I really can't stand, but I am willing to accept them if they come along with the really beautiful songs we have had as well.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, the Rainbowfaces and their little way of dissapearing made me quite dissapointed...  <_<
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A lot of the songs should have never seen the light of day....the tv series having produced most of those types.  I mean, other kids stuff often lacks songs and it seems their audiences cope with the plot and pace just fine...why not follow that mold?  Its not like Universal is trying to make cd sales off of LBT songs.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
No matter what we dislike. We all have to remember that it¥s at least a kids show. And kids don¥t really think of what happens in a movie. They just watch it.

To Maltes quote: The movie turns into red in dangour situations. I think that¥s just a more understandable way to show the little ones that there is dangour. To be honest. As I was young I really got confused with some scenes in the film because I didn¥t know is that what happens there good or bad.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I am willing to accept songs in the movies because we have been given some beautiful songs in the process (Always There, Bestest Friend, No One Has To Be Alone), but singing in the TV series is not neccessary. Ok, I can understand the producers want the show to appeal to younger audiances, but they don't need to add songs into it!

I do agree, the villains are not threatening at all. The only three villains I found dangerous were Sharptooth (obviously), Ozzy (Not Strut), and Sierra (Not Rinkus OR Pterano). Sharptooth obviously is THE Sharptooth, and he killed Littlefoots mom and chased them all the way. I actually had nightmares when I was a kid about the Sharptooth, he scared the crap out of me! Ozzy was the most evil out of the two, but even though Strut suggests throwing Littlefoot over the Great Wall, Ozzy would have thought of something much more violent. Sierra wanted to get rid of Ducky ever since they kidnapped her, and he was the least clumsy.

How to improve the villains? Make them more persistent and scarey like SHarptooth. I would also find the villains more threatening if they kidnapped members of the gang more often. I know Ducky and Petrie were both "kidnapped" for maybe 20 seconds by Ichy and Dill in LBT 4, but the two of them were too busy arguing over who got to eat whom so it wasn't very evil or threatening.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ I still think that the red is far from necessary to make even young kids realize that it is a bad thing for Littlefoot if he has a sharptooth snapping at his heels. The original movie as well as the sequels made by Roy Alan Smith (and the TV series) do quite well without that red effect.

As for the villains Strut and Rinkus are not necessarily among those I would consider perfectly harmless. You already mentioned Strut's idea to throw Littlefoot down the great wall. I agree that Strut would probably not even be a villain if he was left the choice, but he still has some potential for evil action. But as he is not really supposed to be a total villain I would not include him on the list of "weak villains" either. I always think mainly of intentionally stupid sharpteeth whose clumsiness really goes beyond what is realistic (those from LBT 10 are a particularly striking example though they were neither the first nor the last of that group).
As for Rinkus he is not the physically most impressive character, but he is more sly than Sierra. It is Rinkus who suggests to let Pterano lead him and Sierra to the stone and it is him who (more explicitly in the German than in the English version) suggests to torture (that's the word used in the German translation) the landing site of the stone of cold fire out of Littlefoot. Sometimes the one who makes up evil plans or ideas can be more scary than the one who carries them out on the plan makers behalf.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
As with all things, there are good sides and bad sides. I dont tend to look at the negative side of something unless that is truly what it is intended to achieve. Still, with LBT there are a few things that do get my goat.

1. Already been said but I'll reiterate. NEEDLESS SING-A-LONGS!!! In all fairness, despite some of them being rather melodious and moving, there's no ultimate reason for them. They don't advance the plot neither are they particularly spectacular to behold. What makes it doubly irritating is that Universal seemed to see a need to invoke a given quote of songs per sequel (i.e. a minimum of 3). Maybe one at the most but three?!

2. Superstar Celebrity Voices. Let's face it, LBT's never gonna match up with modern animation hits like Shrek or Toy Story etc. but the least they could have done was not to follow the trend and try and salvage the decreasingly profitability of the sequels by invoking "celebrity talents". Names like Kiefer Sutherland, Kris Kristofferson, Donny Osmond, Olivia Newton-John, Sandra Oh, Cuba Gooding Jr. Is slapping a famous actor's name on the blurb on the back of the DVD case REALLY gonna boost sales that much?! The kids watching the bloody thing are gonna know the difference!

3. Again, already been mentioned, but the distinct lack of strong villianous roles has always been a pothole for the LBT saga. Even down to the series where they tried to portray a semi "long-term" villian with Red Claw, Screech and Thud. Even with these constant meetings within the series, the gang didn't sought out any means of actually dispatching Red Claw (if he was supposed to be shown as the gang's nemesis and main line antagonist). Or even finding a way to deal with Red Claw (not necessarily kill him. Somehow I don't think that would fly very far given the target audience).

One thing I would've had liked to have seen within the series was possibly a cliffhanger episode over maybe 3 or 4 parts where the gang are left (after the 30min programme slot) facing a dangerous situation. Kind of a "tune in next week to find out what happens" or "to be continued" sorta ploy I reckon could have made the TV series a little more exciting. It's nothing ground-breaking coz most animated shows put this kinda plan into action once their series has run a few episodes. So given that fact, surely an extended episode split over a few parts couldn't have done the series too much harm right?

Gotta stress that despite all these niggling like tid-bits get on my nerves, I tend to be able to supress that nattering little voice that tries to point them out. I'll still sit down and watch the movies and Tv series coz I can see past the down points. I'll never be able to complete disregard my adoration for this animated series, despite what the outsiders say  ;)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Aug 18 2008 on  07:32 PM
As with all things, there are good sides and bad sides. I dont tend to look at the negative side of something unless that is truly what it is intended to achieve. Still, with LBT there are a few things that do get my goat.

1. Already been said but I'll reiterate. NEEDLESS SING-A-LONGS!!! In all fairness, despite some of them being rather melodious and moving, there's no ultimate reason for them. They don't advance the plot neither are they particularly spectacular to behold. What makes it doubly irritating is that Universal seemed to see a need to invoke a given quote of songs per sequel (i.e. a minimum of 3). Maybe one at the most but three?!

2. Superstar Celebrity Voices. Let's face it, LBT's never gonna match up with modern animation hits like Shrek or Toy Story etc. but the least they could have done was not to follow the trend and try and salvage the decreasingly profitability of the sequels by invoking "celebrity talents". Names like Kiefer Sutherland, Kris Kristofferson, Donny Osmond, Olivia Newton-John, Sandra Oh, Cuba Gooding Jr. Is slapping a famous actor's name on the blurb on the back of the DVD case REALLY gonna boost sales that much?! The kids watching the bloody thing are gonna know the difference!

3. Again, already been mentioned, but the distinct lack of strong villianous roles has always been a pothole for the LBT saga. Even down to the series where they tried to portray a semi "long-term" villian with Red Claw, Screech and Thud. Even with these constant meetings within the series, the gang didn't sought out any means of actually dispatching Red Claw (if he was supposed to be shown as the gang's nemesis and main line antagonist). Or even finding a way to deal with Red Claw (not necessarily kill him. Somehow I don't think that would fly very far given the target audience).

One thing I would've had liked to have seen within the series was possibly a cliffhanger episode over maybe 3 or 4 parts where the gang are left (after the 30min programme slot) facing a dangerous situation. Kind of a "tune in next week to find out what happens" or "to be continued" sorta ploy I reckon could have made the TV series a little more exciting. It's nothing ground-breaking coz most animated shows put this kinda plan into action once their series has run a few episodes. So given that fact, surely an extended episode split over a few parts couldn't have done the series too much harm right?

Gotta stress that despite all these niggling like tid-bits get on my nerves, I tend to be able to supress that nattering little voice that tries to point them out. I'll still sit down and watch the movies and Tv series coz I can see past the down points. I'll never be able to complete disregard my adoration for this animated series, despite what the outsiders say  ;)
Yeah I agree about the cliff hanger endings to the TV eps with the continuation later. The TV show should have no singing what so ever. If you think about it they waste time with the songs in the show. I would like to see more action in LBT.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If there's anything I dislike about LBT, it's the drastically decreased intensity of suspense :slap.  I have to admit LBT I-V were quite suspenseful to me, especially the wildfire scene in LBT III(glad Cera and her father got out okay; that one really had my nerves revved up).  I really would like to see the same level of suspense there once was in LBT, but please no killing off of any of the Great Valley residents or even the Gang :(.