The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Warhammer 40k!

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Just wondering if anyone around here collects Warhammer 40k miniatures?

Imperial Guard here  :lol 3000+ points and counting.

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I almost bought a set of those. The red dinosaur-like things. But I decided not to because of the price. I don't know, $34.99 for a bunch (not sure how many) of un-painted miniatures seems decent, but I wasn't willing to spend that much. I do love miniatures thought, like Dungeons and Dragons, Mech Warrior, and all those other ones.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I've never played a game of WH40K, but I have read the Wikipedia and Tv Tropes page, and I'm slightly confused by one aspect: do you play as an individual character like in most tabletop RPGs? Or are you a small army composed of lots of pieces? I've never understood this.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know a friend of mine who does it, I don't though!

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Oct 13 2009 on  02:57 PM
I've never played a game of WH40K, but I have read the Wikipedia and Tv Tropes page, and I'm slightly confused by one aspect: do you play as an individual character like in most tabletop RPGs? Or are you a small army composed of lots of pieces? I've never understood this.
A small army consisting of several units.

An army consists of 'units' and 'squadrons', with a unit usually having 10 or so models in it (some armies have more, like the Tyranids (the aliens) who can have up to 30 in certain units).

Each unit acts as one, so all the models in a unit will move together (they have to stay within an inch of one another), shoot together, assault together... and more than likely die horribly together  :lol

You also have heroes (known as HQ), that are usually one model with special abilities and typically good stats (such as being able to be shot multiple times before dying). The idea with these guys is to stick them into a unit to enhance their capabilities.

It works slightly differently for each race, but I can explain further if you want.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I am also a devoted Warhammer 40K player, and Imperial Guard is my favourite army.  I remember when I bought the book just looking at the new Punisher stats made me drool.  Now, I have 3 of them in my Army  :)

Do you like making a horde army, a mechanized army, or a mixture?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
My brother and I used to collect them. I remember they were so much fun to put together, but the best part was painting them. We had to spray paint them white or black so the color would not show a mix of gray, depending on how the bright the figure would turn out, but actually playing the game was kind of confusing. I think we were more interested in the collecting than the fighting, which was cool with us.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Oct 13 2009 on  09:31 PM
I am also a devoted Warhammer 40K player, and Imperial Guard is my favourite army.  I remember when I bought the book just looking at the new Punisher stats made me drool.  Now, I have 3 of them in my Army  :)

Do you like making a horde army, a mechanized army, or a mixture?
Both  :lol

10 Leman Russes (3 Battle Tanks, 1 Demolisher, 1 Plasma Tank, 1 Punisher, 2 Exterminators, 2 Vanquishers), 3 Basilisks, 6 Sentinels, 2 Chimeras, 2 Hellhounds, 1 Banewolf and a Baneblade. I like tanks :DD

+ 80 infantry, 2 platoon command squads, 1 commander squad (+ advisors), 10 Storm Troops, 3 heavy weapon teams, Techpriest, 3 ogryns, tons of special weapons, and closets worth of spare bits.

I should post a pic, but I don't have a decent camera at the moment... and 95% of my models are unpainted, so it's not much of a sight.

Aha... I do have a pic of one of my heavy flamers... just try and picture my entire army looking kinda like that:

Except I don't think I'll be using matte varnish again... Ugh...

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Oh yes, long time player, me.

I originally collected Space Marines, then moved on to Necrons, and right now, I'm collecting Chaos daemons.

Current army list:

1x9 Bloodletters
1x Bloodletter herald
1x 11 Daemonettes
1x Daemonette Herald
1x Bloodthirster of Khorne.

I'll be putting them to the test this weekend, battling my friend.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I tried time and time again, don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Warhammer. Its just that its kind of expensive, the starter kit alone is usually $50 or so.

But if I could get into it. My preferred army would be the Tau.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I still haven't played, but I am reading the Ciaphas Cain series, and it is some of the most entertaining military fiction I've read in some time. But I get the feeling its comedic tone is not shared by the majority of Warhammer 40K material.