The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Paleontology

DollFace

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My goal is to be within the spirit and there is God. he loved the world that he gave his son Jesus for we can give him our sin and ask for forgiveness and repent and follow him. God know everything, and man's knowlege and intellegence are only limited. in Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in they sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
We were created in God's image and we got seperated by sin and that's how all kinds of disasters and disease and etc. appeared.
I use to believe what you believed in at one time, heck,in fact I was so obsessed with dinosaurs, and i read books, and collect anything I could find. Flash cards, toys, movies and etc. But God opened my eyes and I found out and got the idea what really happened to him.

DollFace

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: DollFace,Aug 14 2011 on  03:46 PM
My goal is to be within the spirit and there is God. he loved the world that he gave his son Jesus for we can give him our sin and ask for forgiveness and repent and follow him. God know everything, and man's knowlege and intellegence are only limited. in Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in they sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
We were created in God's image and we got seperated by sin and that's how all kinds of disasters and disease and etc. appeared.
I use to believe what you believed in at one time, heck,in fact I was so obsessed with dinosaurs, and i read books, and collect anything I could find. Flash cards, toys, movies and etc. But God opened my eyes and I found out and got the idea what really happened to him.
I met overall not him. Man I suck at focusing. But yeah

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Elaine, you're new here. No one is bashing you. Don't take this is as negative in anyway, but you believe what you believe and others believe what they do. Sometimes beliefs conflict but those conflicts can be avoided. You believe that God created everything while others here believe in the theory of evolution. Maybe you should leave God out of this topic. It's for paleontology. I mean absolutely no offense as I don't dwell in the beliefs of others nor do I bash them. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but sometimes outspoken beliefs can lead to nasty conflicts. Btw, I'm liking your story Where is God? I'm going to review it later :) But, please, don't let your beliefs get the better of you.

DollFace

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Aug 14 2011 on  04:03 PM
Elaine, you're new here. No one is bashing you. Don't take this is as negative in anyway, but you believe what you believe and others believe what they do. Sometimes beliefs conflict but those conflicts can be avoided. You believe that God created everything while others here believe in the theory of evolution. Maybe you should leave God out of this topic. It's for paleontology. I mean absolutely no offense as I don't dwell in the beliefs of others nor do I bash them. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but sometimes outspoken beliefs can lead to nasty conflicts. Btw, I'm liking your story Where is God? I'm going to review it later :) But, please, don't let your beliefs get the better of you.
Thank you so much. I didn't want to stir trouble or anything. But okay. I wasn't trying to bash anyone neither and I wanted to get that out there. I will now let it rest in peace.
And to tell you the truth I don't think no one knows how old the earth is only God does.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Justin1993,Aug 14 2011 on  04:03 PM
Maybe you should leave God out of this topic. It's for paleontology.
Yeah I think that would be a good idea. This has gotten a little too off topic, in my opinion. Plus this isn't the place for sensitive things like discussing science vs religion. That belongs in After Midnight.

Oh and something I forgot to point out to you earlier, Dollface. I noticed you made some multiple posts back to back. If there's anything you want to add to previous posts, I recommend editing your posts next time.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I do believe we should leave God out of this topic, after all, it is for Paleontology. Also, DollFace, I DID NOT mean to bash you and if it sounded like I did then I'm truly sorry. Sometimes things can just get a little bit carried away. :)

DollFace

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Aug 14 2011 on  08:02 PM
Yeah, I do believe we should leave God out of this topic, after all, it is for Paleontology. Also, DollFace, I DID NOT mean to bash you and if it sounded like I did then I'm truly sorry. Sometimes things can just get a little bit carried away. :)
No problem. I'm cool.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Paleontology is seriously the first thing I ever wanted to do^^ I even got a digging kit with a geological hammer... man, I carried that thing everywhere. I read up on eveything I could find about dinosaurs, and digging conditions. My dad even got me a Fossil Record book - types of fossils found where, how they ended up there, etc.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
I have to admit, I'm pretty fascinated with dinosaurs, and have been for most of my life. When I was in middle school, I wanted to be a paleontologist. I mean, I don't currently, but I used to. XD
But I like getting immersed into dinosaur books and movies. My favorite dino-related things are (obviously) The Land Before Time, and Dinotopia. James Gurney's paintings make me believe that a world with humans and dinosaurs co-existing exists (not really, but I mean it sets the imagination on fire.)
Some dinosaur documentaries are interesting to watch as well (if you can get past the cheesy animation.) Not long ago, I watched "Dinotasia" on Netflix which was actually a lot better than I thought it would be (again, you kinda have to ignore the lack of superb animation.) It's definitely not your average dino documentary. It's hardly a documentary, actually, because the narrator (Werner Herzog) speaks so seldom. It's more like you're watching different groups and individual dinosaurs live their life and face trials. I think any dinosaur fan would really appreciate Dinotasia! :)

Often when I read the dinotopia books, when they mention a dinosaur I'd never heard of, or don't remember what kind it is, I'll pause my reading and look said dinosaur up online. I like randomly reading about the different types that used to exist.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Hey has anyone heard of that recent discovery of China? They found a dinosaur with bat wings.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/30/asia/china-d...i-qi/index.html

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: fanciful_flyer,Apr 17 2015 on  03:33 PM
I have to admit, I'm pretty fascinated with dinosaurs, and have been for most of my life. When I was in middle school, I wanted to be a paleontologist. I mean, I don't currently, but I used to. XD
But I like getting immersed into dinosaur books and movies. My favorite dino-related things are (obviously) The Land Before Time, and Dinotopia. James Gurney's paintings make me believe that a world with humans and dinosaurs co-existing exists (not really, but I mean it sets the imagination on fire.)
Some dinosaur documentaries are interesting to watch as well (if you can get past the cheesy animation.) Not long ago, I watched "Dinotasia" on Netflix which was actually a lot better than I thought it would be (again, you kinda have to ignore the lack of superb animation.) It's definitely not your average dino documentary. It's hardly a documentary, actually, because the narrator (Werner Herzog) speaks so seldom. It's more like you're watching different groups and individual dinosaurs live their life and face trials. I think any dinosaur fan would really appreciate Dinotasia! :)

Often when I read the dinotopia books, when they mention a dinosaur I'd never heard of, or don't remember what kind it is, I'll pause my reading and look said dinosaur up online. I like randomly reading about the different types that used to exist.
Dinotasia is actually an anthology of the short series Dinosaur Revolution, which details a heckuva lot more on the dinosaurs, as well as the background. Such as the Allosaurus being based on an actual fossil that had a bad jaw. Dinosaur Revolution, however, lacks the totally fabulous narrator of Dinotasia :lol .

What I like about Dinotopia these days, especially the original, is that the dated-ness of it hurts so much more than any other dinosaur stuff from the 2000's and before. And yet it's still great. Gurney's depiction of Deinocheus, for example, just looked like really, really big ornithomimus-type dinosaurs. I wonder if he's done a depiction of what we know now.

Last year a fourth Dinotopia book was released, making account of the events that led to the sinking of Posidos. I haven't read it yet, but I intend to.

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,May 2 2015 on  08:51 PM
Quote from: fanciful_flyer,Apr 17 2015 on  03:33 PM

Dinotasia is actually an anthology of the short series Dinosaur Revolution, which details a heckuva lot more on the dinosaurs, as well as the background. Such as the Allosaurus being based on an actual fossil that had a bad jaw. Dinosaur Revolution, however, lacks the totally fabulous narrator of Dinotasia :lol .

What I like about Dinotopia these days, especially the original, is that the dated-ness of it hurts so much more than any other dinosaur stuff from the 2000's and before. And yet it's still great. Gurney's depiction of Deinocheus, for example, just looked like really, really big ornithomimus-type dinosaurs. I wonder if he's done a depiction of what we know now.

Last year a fourth Dinotopia book was released, making account of the events that led to the sinking of Posidos. I haven't read it yet, but I intend to.
That's actually pretty fascinating - I had no idea. :)

I've only just heard of the 4th Dinotopia book coming out, and want to get it so bad. Have you seen some of the art? It shows a side to Dinotopia's history that - well, we may have heard of here and there, but never got an in-depth look at. It comes with the "First Flight" story, I think, yes?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Do you mean the book "First Flight"? That one involves a story playing long before the arrival of the Denisons in the town of Poseidos, but the book appeared long ago. I got to admit that I found it to be the weakest in the series since it somewhat abandoned the concept of "fantastic realism" by including all kinds of sci-fi technology and letting all kinds of animals and humans talk the same language (the framing of the story included Will Denison reading that story in a libary though, so the concept maybe that it is mostly fictional in the reality of the Denisons).
The most recent book that appeared that I am aware of is "Journey to Chandara" in which Arthur Denison is traveling to Chandara. It is quite nice and with beautiful illustrations, though not quite as gripping a story as in case of "A land apart from time" and "The world Beneath". The story of "Journey to Chandara" seemed to end without a real ending of a story arc, so it would make a lot of sense for it to be concluded in another book (and I would be thrilled to learn of the appearing of such a book :D).

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 14 2015 on  03:04 PM
Do you mean the book "First Flight"? That one involves a story playing long before the arrival of the Denisons in the town of Poseidos, but the book appeared long ago. I got to admit that I found it to be the weakest in the series since it somewhat abandoned the concept of "fantastic realism" by including all kinds of sci-fi technology and letting all kinds of animals and humans talk the same language (the framing of the story included Will Denison reading that story in a libary though, so the concept maybe that it is mostly fictional in the reality of the Denisons).
The most recent book that appeared that I am aware of is "Journey to Chandara" in which Arthur Denison is traveling to Chandara. It is quite nice and with beautiful illustrations, though not quite as gripping a story as in case of "A land apart from time" and "The world Beneath". The story of "Journey to Chandara" seemed to end without a real ending of a story arc, so it would make a lot of sense for it to be concluded in another book (and I would be thrilled to learn of the appearing of such a book :D).
Yeah, it was "First Flight." :)

I admit, upon reading a few sample pages, it isn't as "Dinotopia-like" as the other books, but I'm still curious to read it. ^^
I agree about the technology and talking animals, though. In fact, even having read "First Flight" (not the extra story they included at the end of the special edition one), I felt like I was reading a story taking place in a world totally separate from Dinotopia.
You bring up a good point, though - it's possible that the "First Flight" story is something of a fairytale/fiction in Dinotopia.

It's funny, I actually enjoyed "Journey To Chandara" more than the first two books, even if the plotline wasn't as gripping. Maybe I felt like I was getting a "behind the scenes" look into parts of Dinotopian society that haven't been explored in the other books - for instance, the way Chandaran society differs from the rest of Dinotopian society, the fact that it's a monarchy, e.t.c.

But yeah, supposedly there's a new edition of "First Flight" that includes "never before seen" painting and story ideas by James Gurney. I had the original "First Flight" that only included the story about Gideon and Avatar, but lost it years ago, and was thinking about buying the new one - not least of all because it included never-before-seen stuff. XD

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Why did this die so quickly? I'm reviving this for sure!

I used to LOVE dinosaurs as a kid. Too much. I didn't care for accuracy at all, just awesomeness of dinosaurs! I had (and still have many) tons of books about dinosaurs and I loved to read them all the time. I also used to like Walking With Dinosaurs and I watched it all the time. Amazing documentary. I think Dinosaur Planet was even better. I also tried to learn about them and spread the information to others. I only seen Jurassic Park a couple years ago, so that didn't really contribute much. I also used to watch BestInSlot, a YouTuber who makes dinosaur gaming videos. His videos are very entertaining and they have dinosaurs. That's the best part. Just search him up, he's cool.
Part of the reason I watched LBT in the first place is because of my liking of dinosaurs. No obsession of anything else could beat my obsession of dinosaurs from when I was 2-10. Since then, the topic has gotten less obsession-based, but I still love them. Today I learn of the different species of dinosaurs that I didn't know about and try to remember them. I also know more about what's accurate and what's not so accurate in paleontology. Those paleofails... :lol

I've recently taken an interest in the paintings of Charles R. Knight, one of the greatest paleoartists in history. I've seen his "Leaping Laelops" painting from 1896, depicting fast and agile theropods, instead of tail-dragging, lumbering beasts that others showed as accurate at that time. You can check out the painting here. It's awesome.
Another painting I love is his one of T. rex Vs Triceratops. This one is pretty accurate for it's time as well. I believe it's from the 1930s or 40s. If you ignore the tripod T. rex in the background, :lol it's pretty accurate in a way.
There are many others, such as his Agathaumas painting, that is also pretty good. You can see it here. There are tons, but I'd go on forever, so I'm gonna stop there.
Unfortunately he died in 1953, :cry but he will be remembered. Thank you, Mr. Knight! :yes

Really though, I love dinos. :yes
I hope you, reader, like them too.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I used to be quite fascinated with dinosaurs as well back in the day. I even once considered trying paleontology at one point.

Since we're on the topic of paleontology. There was quite a discovery recently with finding the most well preserved fossil near Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. A large amount of it's skin was fossilized so it's the closest thing to seeing what an actual dinosaur looked like.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine...ssil-discovery/

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The fun part is, even if I really liked LBT already as a kid, I was never really into dinosaurs per se. I liked them as films but I didn't have any special into the animals themselves.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
"Nodosaur" just isn't enough for me. What is the species?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yea I'm not too sure on the official classification of the thing. A quick search on google and this wikipedia page came up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodosauridae
It might be a good place to start.