The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Holy treestars! I think I might have found out...

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
...what the LBT treestars are based on.

Okay so a few months ago, I went to a stargazing program at Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument in Colorado, and I poked a bit in the visitors center and saw this! The only thing is that it was REALLY small, so I highly doubt that sauropods could have lived on those the way they do in LBT. The actual size was, if memory serves, a little bigger than how it shows looking at the picture on my iPhone SE.

EDIT: The image didn't show up! x(cera

EDIT AGAIN: In case the image STILL doesn't show :bang x(cera :

https://ibb.co/dMZOeH

EDIT YET AGAIN: I broke down and switched hosting sites. Whatever you do, DON'T use Image Venue!!! x(cera '

HOPEFULLY FINAL EDIT: Postimg no longer works well, so I switched sites again. x(cera
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:54:57 AM by Littlefoot505 »

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DinoTeen10,Oct 28 2017 on  04:27 PM
WoW. Something from the series actually exists?
Yes. I made the image show up this time.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Oct 29 2017 on  05:37 AM
Still not available XD
I know. That's why I put the hyperlink in there. It's so annoying!!! :anger  :bang  x(cera

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The image had worked fine for me earlier, but now it's broken and the link doesn't work.

Edit:

Okay I think I found the plant you were trying to link. It does at least look familiar and has the same sort of shape.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Whoops didn't mean to put this in a new post. Please disregard.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Oct 29 2017 on  07:10 AM
The image had worked fine for me earlier, but now it's broken and the link doesn't work.

Edit:

Okay I think I found the plant you were trying to link. It does at least look familiar and has the same sort of shape.

That is it! To see mine, just click on the hyperlink in the original post. The image worked for me too at first, then it didn't, so I put the link in there. I'm going to continue trying to fix it.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Wow. Do we know if the filmmakers did their research, or was this just some crazy coincidence that they were spot-on accurate?

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Oct 29 2017 on  06:08 PM
Wow. Do we know if the filmmakers did their research, or was this just some crazy coincidence that they were spot-on accurate?
I don't know about that, but again, the Florissantia leaf (the one that looks like the treestars) was so small that I definitely wouldn't imagine it as being a sauropod's main/favorite food source like it is in LBT. But honestly, I also definitely wouldn't imagine that some animator at Universal decided to draw an arbitrary leaf for their new dinosaur movie, and that leaf just so happened to bear a striking resemblance to that of an actual extinct plant. Although another possible inaccuracy is that all the fossils at Florissant Fossil Beds are from after the age of the dinosaurs, and I don't know if the plant in question has ever been found in Cretaceous/Jurassic era fossils.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot505,Oct 29 2017 on  11:45 PM
I don't know about that, but again, the Florissantia leaf (the one that looks like the treestars) was so small that I definitely wouldn't imagine it as being a sauropod's main/favorite food source like it is in LBT. But honestly, I also definitely wouldn't imagine that some animator at Universal decided to draw an arbitrary leaf for their new dinosaur movie, and that leaf just so happened to bear a striking resemblance to that of an actual extinct plant. Although another possible inaccuracy is that all the fossils at Florissant Fossil Beds are from after the age of the dinosaurs, and I don't know if the plant in question has ever been found in Cretaceous/Jurassic era fossils.
Crazy coincidence it is, then.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Oct 30 2017 on  05:54 PM
Quote from: Littlefoot505,Oct 29 2017 on  11:45 PM
Crazy coincidence it is, then.
Well, I don't know about that. I hear they did do some pretty extensive research for the film. I think Universal probably did base the treestars on the Florissantia leaf, but they stylized it a tad and made it much bigger so that it WOULD be a sauropod's main/favorite food source.