The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rooter From the Original movie

Saft · 26 · 5666

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Can I do this?  I know he only appeared in a short scene during the origninal movie.  I also apologise if there has been a thread on him before.  I couldn't find one.

Character discussion on Rooter.

I'd like to here your thoughts about him.

As for me;well, we know that he possessed some wisdom in explaining 'The Great Circle of Life" to Littlefoot.  

I'd also think he was grouchy in the way he first spoke to Littlefoot, but that's just me.

Edit:His name is Rooter isn't it?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
you don't need to ask before posting saft. and even there was another thread, we'll just merge it with the old one.. I think Rooter was at the beginning of the first film, I haven't watched the first LBt in awhile..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry Nick.  

Yes, Rooter was at the beginning of the First film.  His character was voiced by Pat Hingle.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know that, he also voice Commissioner Gordon in the first 4 Batman films,his last performance in the atrocious Batman and Robin..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I take it you dislike the Batman and Robin film?  

I've never seen any of the Batman films.  

What do you think happened to Rooter?  After all, we know that he never reached the Great Valley as he didn't intend on going there.  I'd hate to think that he died.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Who knows; nobody knows what happen to him.  I do believe that the animators of today are only focus on the characters from Movie 2 to 13 so Rooter may not be brought back in.  But if he does that would be Great.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Did anyone know that Rooters voice just died recently on Janurary 2009? RIP Rooter

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He likely went on to live his life like before.  If you take the 10th movie to be cannon, and I'm not sure if I'll take all of the 10th movie, for various reasons, he did at least live long enough to talk to Bron and tell him about Littlefoot's mother.

& those who may not be sure they remember who Rooter is I took a very bad screenshot of him I took almost a year ago.  

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/K...rent=Rooter.jpg

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Mar 13 2009 on  07:39 PM
He likely went on to live his life like before.  If you take the 10th movie to be cannon, and I'm not sure if I'll take all of the 10th movie, for various reasons, he did at least live long enough to talk to Bron and tell him about Littlefoot's mother.

& those who may not be sure they remember who Rooter is I took a very bad screenshot of him I took almost a year ago.  

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/K...rent=Rooter.jpg
Its not a completely bad shot.  Its good enough to be recognized.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words, though I know the screenshot is terrible, it is at least passable and tolerable I guess.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's not a bad screen shot at all Kor.  It allows Rooter to be recognisable.  

As to him living his life long enough to talk to Bron, yes I remember that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm glad you are being kind about the bad screenshot.  And his talking to Bron would make sense.  That could be the someone who told him about Littlefoot's mother, and he had no idea what happened to Littlefoot after they parted.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We don't know with absolute certainty if it was really Rooter from whom Bron is supposed to have learned about the death of Littlefoot's mother. Others would have probably seen the fight as well or later on her body, but this is just another possibility while that of Rooter being the one also makes perfect sense.
Lonely as Littlefoot was one might wonder why he did not try to follow Rooter (who could have offered some protection), but one of the LBT books I have puts it like this (translated):
With slow steps Rooter walked away. There was no room in his life for a young dinosaur kid. Littlefoot understood that much immediately.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 14 2009 on  04:08 AM
With slow steps Rooter walked away. There was no room in his life for a young dinosaur kid. Littlefoot understood that much immediately.
Thats very interesting I would like to see or read more of these lines I never heard of.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is from a 1989 movie book by Karin J‰ckel. However, it is German so the above lines were my translation (though I tried to make it as literal as I could). The book doesn't say much about cut scenes, but I think Karin J‰ckel did really well in writing emotionally and providing some interpretations which the movie did not. Another favorite of mine is her description of the footprint scene:
Cera remained alone behind. When dawn was breaking she woke up. Unhappy she was looking around. "It is sad being so alone", she thought. How dear the others looked while asleep! And it was warm for them too. Shyly Cera approached. Very carefully she wanted to huddle to Littlefoot's shoulder, but a stone got loose under her foot and rolled away noisily so Littlefoot woke up. Any word from him would have scared away Cera forever now. But Littlefoot just smiled drowsily and quite happily. And then he laid his arm around her and held her close.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 16 2009 on  03:31 AM
Cera remained alone behind. When dawn was breaking she woke up. Unhappy she was looking around. "It is sad being so alone", she thought. How dear the others looked while asleep! And it was warm for them too. Shyly Cera approached. Very carefully she wanted to huddle to Littlefoot's shoulder, but a stone got loose under her foot and rolled away noisily so Littlefoot woke up. Any word from him would have scared away Cera forever now. But Littlefoot just smiled drowsily and quite happily. And then he laid his arm around her and held her close.
Boy I can see that scene right now.  Just reading these lines make me feel like I missed out on alot.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Seems there were some scenes that may have improved the movie if they were left in, or put back in more recently for an uncut version.  Not possible since they'd likely have to draw the scenes from scratch and redub the voices, in at least 1 case using her voice acting from other parts of the movie or other movies.  So more expensive then they think it is worth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Uhm... the scene described in that book was never cut. It is part of the movie and one of my favorite scenes there. I just quoted the book because I found it was a nice translation of the visual scene into written word with one interpretation (the chance of Cera leaving forever had Littlefoot acted any different from the way he did) that stresses the importance of the scene.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As for me;well, we know that he possessed some wisdom in explaining 'The Great Circle of Life" to Littlefoot.

Yes, at his age, it is almost certain that he knows of it through a personal experience/personal experiences. He seemed to me to be about the age of Littlefoot's grandfather. While I truly believe his parents have died long ago, I said "almost certain" as you never know if he went through the same hatching experience as Spike- no parents around. If he had parents to teach him, then that would still mean he had had the personal experience of seeing death. If he was born alone and learned from a stranger like Littlefoot, I doubt he'd have been so gruff with him at first. The again, if had the same experience, maybe the dinosaur he'd met had been irritable as well. He seemed very lonely to me, and a bit sad when he explaining to Littlefoot as well. You'd think he'd had a child or two at his age, so perhaps he/she/they died. In any case, I feel strongly that he has such wisdom from having seen it first foot. I am aware that my speculations don't help anything; I’m just an idle chatter.

I'd also think he was grouchy in the way he first spoke to Littlefoot, but that's just me.

Oh, I could speculate on the reasons for that all day. Perhaps he’d just lost his lunch to some rampaging dinosaurs like the as what happened to the gang. Perhaps he’d gotten in an argument with someone earlier. Then, we get to more “rooted” explanations, heh heh. Perhaps Littlefoot reminded him of his child/children if he had any, and perhaps if he did, he is now without. He could possibly not be a morning dinosaur, as I think it was early then. Perhaps he’s had one bad social experiences after the other, and just generally doesn’t like company. Again, I’m just wasting space.

Whatever the reason, I fully understand how his treatment changed when hearing of Littlefoot’s story. Same thing happens to me and I’ve seen it with many others in my life. You’re in a bad/irritable mood for some reason, so you lash out on anyone that passes by. However, hearing an unfortunate story can easily shift that mood. Sometimes I’ll be a poor mood. I come across as indifferent to people during those times. Then, say, I was contacted by someone who told me he or she lost his or her job. I would immediately switch to sympathy mode, and all but forget my prior feelings. My parents do the same thing. Also, this proves he wasn’t a bad guy, just having a poor moment. If he was in general a bad dinosaur, his likeness would not have softened after Littlefoot’s story. Sometimes we just need a reason to care. If he was a jerk, he would have blown Littlefoot off.

We don't know with absolute certainty if it was really Rooter from whom Bron is supposed to have learned about the death of Littlefoot's mother. Others would have probably seen the fight as well or later on her body, but this is just another possibility while that of Rooter being the one also makes perfect sense.

I think Rooter is the only one who comes to mind because he is the only we saw that knew of the incident. While it could have been anyone (as Rooter may have mentioned it to others who in turn may have passed it on until quite a few knew) I think it’s harder for the brain to automatically grasp uncertain possibilities when there is at least one that is known. If I give my forum password to someone, and my account is hacked, while there are a number of explanations we could think of, we’d already have a possibility we know about- the person I gave it to. Even knowing that Bron could have been told by anyone, every time I watch the tenth movie, Rooter still immediately comes to mind anyway, since he is the only lead that we know for sure exists. For one thing though, if the creators were making such a significant reference, as Rooter played a big, albeit short, role in influencing Littlefoot, you’d think the reference would be more workable, like:

“I heard from an old [enter Rooter’s species] that your mother had died and that he tried to give you some advice.” With the vague quote we have, we could wrack our brains for years only to continue the possibilities.

Lonely as Littlefoot was one might wonder why he did not try to follow Rooter (who could have offered some protection)

Perhaps Rooter had children and he failed to protect them, so he does not feel worthy to let Littlefoot come along. Perhaps he waited too long to have children and his mate died, if he had one. Maybe he decided not to have children but later when it was too late, he had regret for not continue the line of his herd, so seeing Littlefoot reminded him and in turn filled Rooter with regret. Not being heartless however, he gave Littlefoot some wisdom to travel with instead.

I don’t have any thoughts of my own on him, just felt like speculating on those of others.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Lonely as Littlefoot was one might wonder why he did not try to follow Rooter (who could have offered some protection)
One of the (German) land before time books which I have mentions Littlefoot considering this. It give an explanation along the lines of "In his [Rooter's] life there was no room for a Dinosaur hatchling. Littlefoot understood that much." I would have to look it up to check out the literal wording. Being at my parents' places over the Christmas days I will not be able to do so for a while.
I think one of the important messages from Rooter (apart from encouraging Littlefoot a bit (without sugarcoating reality mind you)) is the part about what had happened being "nobody's fault" which one might interpret to include Sharptooth as well (the circle of life in that case refering to the food-chain as well).