The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Points of Interest.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hello, one of the most visually pleasing bits for me during the film was the opening credits. I love going through and observing every little things the various creatures that skitter here and there do. Anyone else?

If not, then what was the ost visually pleasing bit for you?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Oh, I've got quite a few:

1. Don Bluth's visuals overall. That guys is a masterpiece, not just with characters, but also at backgrounds. I know he didn't do them himself, but still, kudos to whoever he hired to do it.

2. The wide shots. This is what really made this film stand out among Don's other works. Most of his other films had huge, crowded landscapes, like cities and stuff, with tonnes of characters milling about. But with this one, at times, Littlefoot and maybe one or two of the others are the only creatures in the entire shot, which I think gives it this really ambient beauty to it.

By the way, anybody notice that that little lizard thing that appears in every single LBT movie? First time we see it, it is checking out Littlefoot's egg, and runs away when he starts to hatch. And looking at all the films, he appears in every single one at some point. He's that little lizard ,usually a dark green colour, sometimes brown, with big black eyes and a little semicircular fin on his back.

BigMouth

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://huntingthepast.blogspot.com/
The most visually pleasing part of LBT for me is the end when Littlefoot discovers and looks out over the great valley.  Not only is it a very emotional part of the film, but now that I have a few geology courses under my belt I can point out some geologic features in the valley that I wouldn't expect to find in an animated movie.

The feature that really sticks out to me is the meandering river in the center of the valley with oxbow lakes forming at its bends.  The fact that their are oxbow lakes in the great valley really makes me love this movie even more because I can see that there was a high attention to detail in the movie.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think that lizard represents any particular species, just some generic primitive reptile (or amniote, to be more precise), a part of the backround fauna.

And I like the intro of the original movie too. I like the begining of LBT II, up to a few seconds after the Gang starts singing "Peaceful Valley". Especially the music, which produces an unusual feeling which I can't describe exactly.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: jansenov,May 20 2011 on  12:52 PM
I don't think that lizard represents any particular species, just some generic primitive reptile (or amniote, to be more precise), a part of the backround fauna.

And I like the intro of the original movie too. I like the begining of LBT II, up to a few seconds after the Gang starts singing "Peaceful Valley". Especially the music, which produces an unusual feeling which I can't describe exactly.
Yeah, I guess you're right about the lizard thing. I just find it kinda funny that they literally make an appearance in every film, not just as a random background creature, but as if some obvious effort is made to include it.

And I know what you mean about the music in number II. I think it's the combination of instruments. It's obviously mostly done on a synth, but it's still pretty well done, with the piano, the strings, that twinkly little chime/glockenspiel thing combined with the piano, and I think even some sort of choir sound too.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh yeah, those are also a lot of good choices. Heh, you wouldn't think a film that takes place in a nigh neverending wasteland could be so beautiful to look at. All the proof you need to know that Bluth is da man when it comes to animation.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

BigMouth

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Indeed he is the man, I wish he made another LBT himself since the first one really stuck with me in a way the sequels didn't.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would have been interesting if he had made a 2nd movie.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I would be happy too, and I hate to sound like one of those negative people, but Don was disappointed with the outcome of the first movie, and no doubt didn't like the sequels (I dont think he wanted any sequels in the first place). The chances of Don coming back to make another LBT movie are awfully slim. It wouldnt be too hard though to make a film in the same style as Don. I have no idea what it would be about or what complications could be thrown in, as sharp tooth attacks are overused and have become an LBT cliche, and it wont have the same emotional effect as LF's mother dying, and I dont think it would be appropriate to rip off the first film with a main character dying.

I'm sure theres a good enough writer out there who could make a great LBT 14 and revive the series. I would say that if a director were to be called and they were going to put serious effort into a sequel, they would drop the numbers and call it The Land Before Time: X Y Z as they don't want to make the viewers feel like they have to watch 13 films (it depends on the target market, as if trying to approve to fans of the original films and no one else, then putting number is a good idea. While trying to create a new target market needs to make the viewer feel like they can start from that film).

What I really dont want is a reboot, LBT REALLY doesnt need to be rebooted AT ALL. The Original film has to be restored with its missing scenes and re-released to cinemas, but thats all.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally I wouldn't mind a reboot. I would prefer a reboot over more sequels or a digitally restored LBT1 (unless it had the deleted scenes but even then it's just a maybe) in the theatres. The reason being is that I think a reboot would be more interesting, since it would involve a new take on the story, a retelling. If they just put out LBT1 in the theatres, even with the missing scenes, it's mostly just the same story and we already know what's going to happen overall. If they want to release a DVD of that, fine, but I don't think a theatrical release is a good idea. I'm not a fan of movies being released in theatres more than once.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well yeah, if it were released to theatres, it probably wouldnt do very well XD. I wouldnt mind a next generation of characters flowing on from the story, but I wouldnt like a new set of characters having the same names and similar situations happening in the first film. The first film (the uncut version especially) is perfect as it is and I dont think theres any reason to re-tell what happened. If they were to expand on the universe and create a movie from a completely different set of characters, I wouldnt mind as much. They can even have the story similar, just retold, just as long as it's not SUPPOSED to be the same story told differently.

LBT1 with deleted scenes > Another bad sequel > A Reboot.

BigMouth

• Chomper
    • View Profile
If anything were to happen in the near future the original movie I think it would be a blu-ray release.  I would like to see LBT in blu-ray format at some point, but as long as comcast has it as a free movie in hd I can wait.  I suggest you watch it if you have comcast and an hd tv, it was amazing to watch it on my father's 52" sony.  The quality was superb and really made the visual pop out in my opinion.