The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Final Fantasy VI

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yo, any other Final Fantasy VI fans here? Well, I am.

Personally, I love this game for taking everything that made Final Fantasy great at the time and improved on it. Sure, nothing was new, but it was Final Fantasy's Greatest Hits.
I also liked how it kept you on your toes with new things to do. Unlike other games in the series, wherer they rely on Mini-Games (has anyone ever truly enjoyed one of those?) to avoid being repetitive, the game simply avoided being repetitive altogether by finding new things for you to do. First, you start off in Star Wars-esque death machines, then you're down to running around in a cave with giant rats and hunch-backed guys with wrenches with only a knife and some simple magic. Then you play a thief, and some moogles. Then you split up into three groups to play out three different scenarios, play defensively to protect a single character, and when the game is done with the world map: it blows it up and makes a new one.
Then I just love how the characters are set up. They each come with unique skillls and equipment that only they can utilize, guaranteeing no dead weigh within the party. And if you don't like a character's initial set-up, you can fix it by way of either better equipment, levelling, Runes, or Espers.
Also, Kefka's the best FF villain ever.

What are your thoughts on this game, gamers?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My apologies. I would have respnded here much sooner, but I just now noticed your topic. I am a very large Final Fantasy fan in general, and I'll tell you what I think about VI. This is my favorite party:
Terra- It is nice that she can learn magic without using Espers. I love how she can transform too. I know doesn't last very long, but double sats is nice for even a few seconds.
Strago- It's great how he knows blue magic and thus can copy enemies spells and make them his. Healing ones come in most useful. I did find his critical attack to be a bit annoying. Yes, I know it doesn't inflict damage but kills instantly, but instant kills don't work on bosses or really high level enemies, so isn't useful when fighting them.
Relm- Ah, the highest MP character! I love both her Sketch and Control. Having an enemy experience his own power is useful, as is posessing a weaker enemy and having it turn on its friends. I know you don't have access to all of an enemy's powers when it's under your control, but you do get nice options nonetheless. Why dirty your hands when you can turn four foes against each other?
Finally, my fourth ideal party member is one of the two secret characters: Gogo- I do find it odd that you never find out his/her gender, but I do love using him/her. My favorite character actually. The opposite of Relm in the way he/she copies allies' attacks. I know he/she doesn't learn magic but can copy most allies spells and can get there special skills to fill his/her own action commands. I know this character's stats are horrible, and the usable equipment is very limited, but the powers make it all worth it.
Now, there is a temporary ally that I would replace Strago with if the character was pemanent. Banon, the priest with amazing healing power, the best there is. I really like Strago, but he is my fifth favorite character. I only have him since I can only get Banon for a little bit. (Sigh)
I prefer the the GBA advance version myself. I liked the graphics a lot on the SNES but they were still able to be portrayed so well on a portable system so I could travel with it yet enjoy it just as much. I am going to be looked down on for saying this about the most popular one, but I like VI more than VII. I just like two dimensional graphics more. I like old school graphics better because it's so much easier to see everything that is going on at once. Final Fantasy VI is a great addition to the series. It's nice to know you like it two. But out of curiosity, what is your favorite permanent team and why did you like them? Later!