The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Big Gang of Five Meeting?

Mumbling · 129 · 23320

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Heya folks :)

Ever since I joined the Gang of Five and discovered it was such a nice community I thought the idea was very plausible to have some massive meeting with all of us. It would remind me very much of the meeting with my family, in which we just all gather in a house big enough for everyone to sleep and have their own space which we hire for a couple of days.

So I wonder..... After a chat with Littlefoot1616 and Nick22 about this very topic, how big is the chance that any of you guys would like a thing like this?

Idea summary:

- Hire a big house or visit a campsite with several tents for 3-5 days.
- Play games, chat, make music, relax in the presence of these forum members
- Activities like hiking, swimming if the region allows it
- Watching LBT, of course :) For example 1 evening where we all come together and watch the original

It'd mainly be like a small vacation with people with the same interest as you, which you might even know already... However this time you'll get to chat face to face and experience the true GoF feeling.

This is of course a regional thing, and it can probably be realized for our European (or even Asian members). I have several addresses in France which are beautiful for said occasions. American members are fully welcome too, but sadly enough the flight to Europe might be too expensive. If you already wanted to visit Europe though, isn't this a great chance to do so? You could also try organizing a big meeting in the USA, however I can't do anything with regards to organizing that.

I was thinking of Summer 2012, when most members here have their time off.. How do you feel about this idea?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, I don't really know. I haven't been a member for long, but I'd would have been here for over a year at that point. Right now I wouldn't go, but my feelings might change before then, if I'm still with this community, and I grow closer to it in that year's time.

Also, I don't know how my finances would be then. I HOPE I have a stable job then, and that I'll have expendable income.

So, put me down, for a "I don't know, but maybe" :)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Yes of course! I could think of nothing better than a whole mass GOF meeting somewhere even for a day. Maybe it's something the admins should arrange. The Gang Of Five Convention (exclusive members only!) :lol. But in all seriousness, I would gladly welcome the opportunity to meet all our GOF members and personal shake their hand whilst looking them in the eye. I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of you guys from the continent (and one from a little further afield ;) ) but a huge meet of GOF members would be a crowning moment not just for me, but for the forum I'd be so bold to say ;)

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Probably no for me, I'm not one for leaving the state. As far as I know, only Karmarsi lives in Indiana too. Its a small chance that I would attend (it'd be a surprise if I post a photo of myself).

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would love to do something like that, as I already feel a pretty strong bond with this community, and think it's a great thing that I came here.

However, if it's to be held in Europe, that might prove problematic, at least on my current income. I work a rather crummy job, and it doesn't permit me to travel much outside my continent. Plus, IF I get this job with the Foreign Service, I'd probably be shipping out this time next year anyway, but as said, it's a long shot, and I don't even know what I'll be doing this time next year. It really depends on what career I get by then.

If I get an actual career lined up before next year, and if it's taking place in Europe, then yes, definitely.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know the majority of this forum is American, however I myself know little about America and wouldn't know where to start with such a meeting so I wouldn't be able to take care of it.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, we live only a few hours away from eachother, Pterano, so if nothing else, we could do could meet up somewhere ourselves for a day or something.
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's very true, vonboy. A trip WITHIN the country is much more feasible, at least for me. I was VERY, VERY fortunate in getting financial aid for my Eurotrip last year, as the dice really just rolled my way (I applied for financial aid for my last semester, but since I had never applied before, they backpaid me for the fall semester as well, and that allowed me to finance my study abroad, but I don't think I'll EVER get that lucky again, until of course I start an actual career).

So yeah, I think meeting individual members is definitely doable, especially when we don't live that far away, as you said.

As for this continent, Washington, D.C. can be nice, though pricy in terms of lodging, but at the same time, no matter what major city or region you choose, they almost always have group rates for hotels and sometimes even large houses, and if each member chipped in an equal amount, it might not be too bad. I could research it a bit more, depending on what everyone else thinks.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
I'd love to have this! It sounds like a whole lotta fun! But I probably won't be able to because I don't have the money to travel. :cry

It would be nice if this meeting took place in Washington, like Seattle.
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, it would be a year from now, so we have time to think about it, and look into places we could go.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Exactly :) And individual meetups are recommendable when you trust someone really well, we (Malte, LF1616, action, lillefot, Nimrod, me) have a lot of fun with those.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I say "do it", though there might be a few things that could make it impossible for me, but that time sleeps right now. But, I'm up for it, if the time permits it :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Definitely no. I don't have the money to fly all the way to Europe. For me to be able to go, the meeting will have to be close to where I live, preferably close enough to drive to.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, for me a US or European meetup is out of the question, but if there are sufficient British members (and maybe some from the continent who are willing to pay for a Eurostar ticket), a UK meeting in, say, London, would be a good idea. I've seen it done before, and been there, and they work out pretty well.

In fact, just a quick question to throw out there: Are there any other members in the UK on here? Just to see if such a thing would work out.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
UK -> Europe really isn't that expensive Allicloud. There are quite some members from in and around London.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I really don't know about this.

I mean, my emotional response would be, "Yes! Of course I would want to do this!" but my logical response is, I would have to do a whole lot of stuff to even THINK about flying out of my country (much less fly halfway around the world) and where to get the money to do so.

But, I think this sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to meet GOF members in real life where I can actually meet them and talk to them not on a computer. Also, if you say it's in the summer of 2012, we would have a lot of time to prepare and plan this out. I'm liking it so far. :)

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
UK -> Europe really isn't that expensive Allicloud. There are quite some members from in and around London.

indeed, it shouldn't be that expensive to go from England to France. I'm visiting Scotland in august, and that ain't too expensive, and beside, I know for a fact, that the British-Danish ferry line actually isn't bad either.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well.. Crap. I would love to, but no way can't do it.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Summer 2012. A lot of things can happen by then. If I find a job I would definitely put some money aside for attending a European meeting. I'm very eager to meet some GOF members in person :). However, France is a bit far from my place, but not terribly far. For me it would be much better if the meeting takes place in Germany. There are a bunch of charter flights to German cities from Zagreb, which isn't true for French cities (our ties with France are much weaker). An even better choice would be Austria. Austria would be fantastic. Germany is fine, France and Benelux are acceptable. But the UK or Scandinavia are out of the question for me.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd like too but i don't really have the money at the moment.