The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Can Leaf Eaters speak Sharptooth?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ok, Chomper, Dil, and Ichy can speak Leaf Eater.  Do you think there are any Leaf Eaters that can speak Sharptooth?  

(It would be interesting if there was a scenario where young Leaf Eaters were adopted by Sharpteeth that at least thought it taboo to eat babies and hence adopted the kid, who picked up the Sharptooth language.  Perhaps the young Leaf Eater would be adopted by young Sharptooth children who, like Littlefoot, might have had pity on the kid and hid the kid from their parents for a while or even for years.   In short, a reverse Chomper scenario.)

Actually, that might make a GREAT LBT story indeed.   :idea  :idea  :idea  :idea  :idea  :idea  :idea

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
It would be an interesting story indeed. I have only seen and read one fanfiction that explored this concept, but sadly it was never finished. And ironically enough, it was you who first made and published it on the same day that this thread was made. Here's the link for the fanfiction if anyone's interested. It's called The Land Before Time XXI: Hunter Valley.

Leaf eaters should have the same ability to learn the Sharptooth language and vice versa. If Chomper was somehow able to learn, then theoretically the Gang of Five and pretty much any leaf eater could learn with enough practice and perseverance. Omnivores, like Ruby for example are the most likely to know both languages because of their diet and their wider perspective of the world.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
If Sharpbeaks and Sharpteeth can speak on leafeater language, and underwater creatures on leafeater and crawler languages, then obviously leafeaters can speak on sharpteet language if they want.
I even has a headcanon that Ruby can speak simple sharpteeth phrases thankls to Chomper. :)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Gang of Five would definitely gain an excellent advantage if they took Sharptooth language lessons from Chomper. It could help them in tricking or avoiding any Sharpteeth that may make them a meal. It could also make it easier for them to befriend other Sharpteeth as a language barrier is no longer a problem and they can communicate. I'd think that Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, and Petrie would be eager to learn a new language, but it's a topic never brought up in the TV series. Hmm, if it happens in the TV series, would we hear the Gang making Sharptooth noises? Roars? Or just normal talking? It would be a pretty hysterical sight to behold. I wonder what they would accidentally say wrong. :lol

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
All sharteeth phrases are roars only (plus subtitles in occasion).

I wonder what they would accidentally say wrong. :lol

*imagines scene*

Littlefoot: hope it would make him go away...

Littlefoot pretending to be a sharptooth, roars on sharptooth language from deep spiky forest, trying to politely tell LBT1 Sharptooth something about lack of leafeaters there and giving luck to find anyone in different place.

Chomper: uh oh... Littlefoot?

Littlefoot: yes?

Chomper: You has just told him that he's big fat chicken who can't catch anyone...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:45:00 PM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm, if it happens in the TV series, would we hear the Gang making Sharptooth noises? Roars? Or just normal talking?

To be honest, I was only thinking what the audience might hear when I said that. But in hindsight, it was a pretty dumb thought as there won't be any reason whatsoever as to why the languages would be switched so the audience could hear English from the Sharptooth, and clicks and grumbles from the leaf eaters. It'd be stupid and ruins the point of teaching leaf eaters the Sharptooth language to begin with (not for them, but the audience). :(

Yikes, I can only imagine what comes next after that scene. :sducky

Hopefully the Gang of Five would master the Sharptooth language before a scenario like that would ever occur, right?

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think it's possible. I think the TV series missed a great opportunity exploring that concept. That sounds like it'd make for an interesting episode, at the very least.

I'd imagine seeing Littlefoot and the gang making Sharptooth roars and growls if they spoke in Sharptooth. It'd look awkward as hell, though.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It seems to me Chomper could teach the Gang Sharptoothenese. The adults like Grandpa Longmeck, Topsey (Mr. Three Horn), Ducky’s Mom, and more would probably struggle to learn Sharptoothenese.

It would come in handy, Little Foot and Gang could befuddle a Sharptooth by speaking their language.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It seems to me Chomper could teach the Gang Sharptoothenese. The adults like Grandpa Longmeck, Topsey (Mr. Three Horn), Ducky’s Mom, and more would probably struggle to learn Sharptoothenese.

It would come in handy, Little Foot and Gang could befuddle a Sharptooth by speaking their language.

Imagine all the stuff the gang would've simply walked away from in all 13 sequels if they had decided to use Sharptooth language to their advantage.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Imagine all the stuff the gang would've simply walked away from in all 13 sequels if they had decided to use Sharptooth language to their advantage.

Crisis averted in LBT 2
Easily befriending Chomper’s Parents in LBT 5
And for almost every other sequel...The Gang explains that they’re the fearsome five that killed the Sharptooth. So...if they dare make any moves, they’re next. (Although, their reputation should’ve spread quickly already)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Crisis averted in LBT 2
Easily befriending Chomper’s Parents in LBT 5
And for almost every other sequel...The Gang explains that they’re the fearsome five that killed the Sharptooth. So...if they dare make any moves, they’re next. (Although, their reputation should’ve spread quickly already)
Makes one wonder why they never thought of it. I mean, if Chomper can know how to speak Leaf Eater-ese, then surely they would've caught onto the possibility of an inverted situation too. They seem like smart enough kids.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Not to mention, the Gang are the most curious kids I’ve seen ever, so it always struck to me as very odd how they weren’t compelled to try and learn the Sharptooth language out of curiosity alone. It also occurred to me that they were never jealous of Chomper’s bilingual capabilities - perhaps driving them more incentive to learning another language.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
^Not to mention, the Gang are the most curious kids I’ve seen ever, so it always struck to me as very odd how they weren’t compelled to try and learn the Sharptooth language out of curiosity alone. It also occurred to me that they were never jealous of Chomper’s bilingual capabilities - perhaps driving them more incentive to learning another language.
Maybe that's something the show could've delved into had it been renewed for another season.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe that's something the show could've delved into had it been renewed for another season.

Tell me about it. If there's one grievance I've always had, either for the TV series or the movies, is the wasted potential and ideas that they could've potentially dove into.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Indeed. It was my hope in LBTXIV that Chomper would use his Sharptooth Tongues to help Grand Pa Longneck, Topsy, and Ruby avoid The Horned Sharptooth and the Featherhead Sharpteeth. Alas, it was a wasted opportunity.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith