The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Nostalgia critic reference to LBT

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It is not for the first time that the Nostalgia critic refers to the land before time in his reviews but his recent review of Disney's Dinosaur
review of Disney's Dinosaur includes what I think has been the most detailed reference so far.
"Why is it I always praise this movie whenever I'm talking about Disney films?!
:lol

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised. Apart from the impressive opening sequence (which I had the opportunity to see in the cinema when the film came out; it was fantastic), Dinosaur really has nothing special to offer when compared to the Land Before Time. And people recognise this.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Aye, I too watched it in cinema. I even got a cinema magazine which I kept since then that was reporting about Disney's dinosaur and I also have the DvD and a book in it which I purchased during my students exchange to the US. Nonetheless I largely agree with the assessment of the nostalgia critic of it being not really bad but also not offering anything new and with the characters involved being mostly somewhat shallow.
It appears that there had been various different plots suggested for Disney's dinosaur. Cut scenes which can be found on the DvD seem to refer to a different movie entirely, involving characters never included in the movie such as a brother, resepctively grandparents of Aladar as well as reference to what appears to be some kind of mythological creature to the dinosaurs. Perhaps they created scenes of all kinds but determined a plot relatively late and the plot may have suffered from this. I'd be rather interested in knowing the alternative plots they came up with but regretably the DvD holds no real information on this beyond the cut scenes torn out of context.
I like the music of Disney's Dinosaur.

(I might move this thread to the movie section soon since I believe the thread to be likely to develope into a discussion on Disney's Dinosaur rather than the less prominent reference to LBT in the nostalgia critic's review. In any case I'm curious about other people's views and especially if perhaps anybody has information beyond what the DvD shows concerning alternative plots).

Bruton the Iguanodon

I didn't like Dinosaur either. I agree with what he says about it seeming so impressive and epic in the first five minutes, with the beautiful landscapes and the realism of it all...but then... lemurs?! What was the deal with that? I heard they did it to make it family friendly  :x

The characters were not interesting, or even likeable. They were all cliche. Well, I do loooooove Bruton, hence him being my user name. I used to like Kron too, and tried his name out when I first joined this site, but realized I like Bruton more and that became my name.  :)

But back to the discussion. The story was umimpressive, the speech was too modern at times, the actual landscapes were uninteresting, and it just felt...abysmal, unmemorable, and bland.

Plus, we never saw any Pteranodons except in the opening scene. Which is a shame cause I really love Pteranodons.   :exactly

I had high hope that it would be a more realistic looking dinosaur film, but it wasn't. My hopes were raised again when I heard Pixar might be doing one...but it turns out it's just gonna be like that lame Simpsons parody in the 90's.  <_<

Ah well, I'm really happy he reviewed it. I was really disapointed whe I saw he didn't, but Doug, man, if you're reading this, I wanna say you did great. Keep up the good work, man.  :exactly

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It's funny that the Nostalgia critic mentioned TLBT in his review for We're back and now This Dinosaur film. We've had a LOT of dinosaur films but the most notable films in todays audience remember are of course, LBT, Jurassic park, and We're Back. Every other film that had Dinosaurs involved but weren't the main focus of the plot are King Kong, Godzilla, Ice Age 3, and probably Journey to the Center of the Earth (1958).

As far as my opinion of Dinosaur goes...I was 12 years old when I saw this film in theaters. I thought it was okay for what it was. Now that I'm older and looking back at this film I still think this is a beautiful film. It was like the Avatar of 2000 because of the graphics. But much like Avatar, the story was somewhat cliched. Unlike Avatar, it was forgettable. Overall, I think this is an average film for the kids. Still, I perfer LBT.