The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Nostalgia Critic

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Just a thread I wanted to start, seeing that people have a lot of different views on his works.

I personally like his reviews, even if they are over movies that I grew up with.

Thoughts?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I enjoyed watching him.  I stopped since his videos got way to large to download.  Some of the movies I've never seen.  Regardless I found him amusing to watch usually, and his ideas and such of the movies could be interesting.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I used to watch him, but like Kor, they started getting too long for me. 22 minutes is a television show, and I don't have the attention span for television. I still respect him and consider his reviews funny and informative, but I need faster entertainment, so I turn to things like Zero Punctuation and Cracked TV these days.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I like watching the videos though for me the "problem" is the opposite of yours EggStealerGirl, namely that most of the movies he reviews are not the kind of movies I watched. It was Gustav (Lilefoot) who introduced me to the Nostalgia critic during our holidays in 2009 and I've been following his videos since. I never ever downloaded any of the videos though, I only watch them as streaming videos. I know some people consider him too "aggressive" or too "self-opinionated", but I see reviews in general as opinions one may agree or disagree with without holding that against a person, especially when it comes to a person actually playing a role in the reviews. Lately there has been the habbit of his to include very long scenes with other reviewers. Many of these scenese are not my cup of tea since one apparently needs to know the videos of all of them or be very knowledgeable about them to understand all the jokes being made. I guess the videos of his which I enjoy most are the top 11 lists he comes up with. There are a few movies which I watched partly because he brought them up in his reviews while I had never seen them before. Many of the movies are not my genre though.
I really like his "Suburban Knights" movie though.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I find his voice and content lacking. Most of his reviews are just clear elaborations of a film without meaningful commentary, almost like a direct synopsis. If there are any "jokes" they feel lifeless and almost shoehorned in. I also heard that he has started throwing commercials into his videos, which to me is not surprising. It's been a long time since I watched any of his videos, but that is mostly what I remember after watching a ton of them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I also heard that he has started throwing commercials into his videos, which to me is not surprising.
Just for the record (again I think that one can have different views on him and I am certainly not trying to change anybody's view of him) I'm not sure if what you heard there is true. I did watch all of his videos (as streams. I can't say anything about any downloads), but I never saw any commercial except for those from the 80s which he was making fun of (with most of the products being no longer available at all).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
He started adding commercials because revenue is down. Not viewings, revenue. This is his full time job, so he HAS to make money off of the videos. That this bugs people bugs me. Excuse Doug Walker for having bills to pay and groceries to buy, campion. I'm sure he will apologize for offending you as soon as he can!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I love Nostalgia Critic. Whilst I don't openly agree with everything he says (as I don't with any critic of anything; it's always good to have a thought and voice of your own), I just love his sense of comedy. Slapstick, toilet humour and sheer goofball-ness (now officially a word :p) makes it great to watch along with some of his other gags, memes and jokes that range from the risquÈ to blatant. The movies are well chosen, the cameos are brilliant (the one with that girl from Matilda was wicked funny :DD) and the specials are well choreographed and memorable (Suburban Knights anyone? :D )

Yeah whilst the new advertising format is a pain, WR's right that Doug and Rob Walker do this as a full time profession. It's their income and internet advertising is a great way of raking in the cash. It's not selling out or submitting one's soul to the machine (or whatever idiom is describing the need to earn money in the exchange for a formally free contribution these days :rolleyes: ). It's natural progression. Doing something for the net you love - great! Getting PAID for doing something you love - even better! Considering we're not having to actively fork out to watch his stuff is a privilege. Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jul 23 2012 on  03:12 AM
I used to watch him, but like Kor, they started getting too long for me. 22 minutes is a television show, and I don't have the attention span for television. I still respect him and consider his reviews funny and informative, but I need faster entertainment, so I turn to things like Zero Punctuation and Cracked TV these days.
Yeah, that's understandable.

Most people would probably prefer a quick and easy-to-use movie review site than a 22 minute something video review.

He's still very entertaining for me to watch, nonetheless .

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jul 22 2012 on  10:56 PM
I enjoyed watching him.  I stopped since his videos got way to large to download.  Some of the movies I've never seen.  Regardless I found him amusing to watch usually, and his ideas and such of the movies could be interesting.
I don't usually download his reviews, but rather just watch them for what they are instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think he actually has made DVDs for some of the material he's made.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 23 2012 on  03:49 AM
I like watching the videos though for me the "problem" is the opposite of yours EggStealerGirl, namely that most of the movies he reviews are not the kind of movies I watched. It was Gustav (Lilefoot) who introduced me to the Nostalgia critic during our holidays in 2009 and I've been following his videos since. I never ever downloaded any of the videos though, I only watch them as streaming videos. I know some people consider him too "aggressive" or too "self-opinionated", but I see reviews in general as opinions one may agree or disagree with without holding that against a person, especially when it comes to a person actually playing a role in the reviews. Lately there has been the habbit of his to include very long scenes with other reviewers. Many of these scenese are not my cup of tea since one apparently needs to know the videos of all of them or be very knowledgeable about them to understand all the jokes being made. I guess the videos of his which I enjoy most are the top 11 lists he comes up with. There are a few movies which I watched partly because he brought them up in his reviews while I had never seen them before. Many of the movies are not my genre though.
I really like his "Suburban Knights" movie though.
Yeah, his video reviews have only seemed to become more and more time consuming as things have gone on, and I respect your opinion on him, too.

Another online friend of mine was who originally introduced me to him, and I slowly just became a fan of his.

I've also been led to watch some of the movies he's reviewed, and a lot of them were especially bad... I just recently sat through watching the Magic Voyage, and I can see why he hated it so much...

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, Doug just said he's putting an end to the Nostalgia Critic, because he wants to put his effort and energy into a new show called "Demo Real", which will also be reviewing movies somehow.

Here
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Dang.

Well, it was a good run. He sounds excited about Demo Reel, I hope it works better than Michael Swaim's attempt to change Cracked TV into Does Not Compute.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'll keep an eye out for his new series. Not sure if I'll like it or not. NC was the only series he did that I liked. I was not fond of the Bum vid, or the Confessions vid. So I'm hoping his new series catches my attention.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm gutted that Nostalgia Critic is coming to a close but I'd prefer that it go out on a high note than become boring, tedious and episodes just end up cloning each other. I'm glad they are not axing the NC as a character (i.e. coming back every so often as cameos etc.). It'll be interesting to see what Doug and Rob Walker and the rest of the Channel Awesome team come up with. Kudos to them for making such a bold move and looking to evolve their talents rather than flogging a dead horse.

Still, I doubt they'll completely eradicate NC. I'm sure his videos will still be up to view. Would be quite interesting now to see where he started and compare it to how he is now.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
It kind of feels like a part of my past has died. I've been watching the Critic since I was in my junior year of high school so I'm a little sad about that. However I do respect Doug's decision to end the Critic before he got stale(which I hate to say he was starting to become) and I wish him luck with Demo Reel. I hope it'll be just as good as the Nostalgia Critic was.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
A heads up before the end of To Boldly Flee would have been nice, frankly. And here I was looking forward to another Critic review after it was over.

Godspeed, Doug. I'll be watching your new show when it comes out.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have been following his reviews since Gustav and Jason introduced me to him throughout our GOF meeting in the summer of 2009. It is with gratitude for many good laughs and with regret that it comes to an end now that I look back on him though I got to admit I don't know many of the movies he reviewed. Let's see what his other projects will look like :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I'm sorry if this is a little off topic but is it true that James Rolfe is considering ending the Angry Video Game Nerd when he's done with the movie?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Rolfe said he'll never entirely retire the character.