The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2014 FIFA World Cup

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Iran was weak, and Nigeria didn't have much to show either.

The USA, though not a bad team by any means, appears to be a pleasant surprise.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
2:1 USA.  I thought that it was going to be a heartbreaking result for the US after a promising start, but then John Brooks' late goal put the US back on top to stay.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
US vs Ghana, now that was an impressive game. The US scored the first goal just 34 seconds into the game. Ghana didn't score until minute 82, but the US scored their second goal just 4 minutes later. After what happened at the last two World Cups, it's great to see the US finally beat Ghana. (I swear, it's starting to seem like some kind of fierce rivalry. :lol: )

The next match for the US will be against Portugal on Sunday. I'm cautiously optimistic, considering that Portugal will be down two players for that match; one for an injury and the other for a red card (a rather well-deserved red card, I have to say). I now doubt Ghana is going to advance, and Germany is almost certain to do so, so I guess this next match could determine which of these two teams will be advancing.

Tomorrow, Brazil will be playing against Mexico. Since I'd like to see Brazil win this year's World Cup, I will be watching this match.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll be watching that one too :) It's the only match that sounds interesting to me today. Mexico played well in their first match so I expect them to pose a considerable threat to Brasil if they play the way they played against Croatia :yes

(a rather well-deserved red card, I have to say)
I agree!

I would like to see USA advancing, actually :smile Wonder how far they could make it :p
Inactive, probably forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Is it just me or has Brazil's game degraded since Croatia? This is not good. If Mexico wins, my team is screwed.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Brazil and Mexico stepped up their game. If Mexico continues like this it will be a tough opponent to Croatia. Go Brazil! You can do it, even without the referee's help.   :p

Mexico's goalie caught Neymar's ball at point blank range.

What a game! If Mexico had won, the Croatian team could have started packing for the voyage home already. But since it didn't, we still have a chance.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Probably the best match I've seen in a long while that ended 0:0... Mexico's keeper did an awesome job!

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope Russia wins.

A weak first half of the match.

Well, this was a poor performance by Russia and South Korea.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Chile wins 2:0

SPAIN IS OUT! What a surprise!

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Chile just won it's second match! 2-0 against Spain (the current world champions, heheh)

C-H-I    CHI!!!!!
L-E        LE!!!!!

CHI-CHI-CHI-LE-LE-LE   VIVA CHILE!!!!!! :DD  :smile

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Croatia won 4:0. Apart from Croatia's gameplay, Cameroon's temper got the better of them.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Sounds like I should've watched it :o Cameroon have a rough style anyway...

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
A nice match between Cote d'Ivoire and Colombia. Cote d'Ivoire missed two 100% chances.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uruguay has won against England 2:1. Rooney scored for England, Suarez twice for Uruguay. England has only a slight chance of reaching the next stage if Italy wins tomorrow. Another big name about to fail at the first stage of the cup.

EDIT: Darnit! jansenov beat me to it :p

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That was supposed to be a penalty kick for Costa Rica, in the 42nd minute! Fortunately, Costa Rica is so good that despite this injustice it still leads 1:0 against Italy.

Costa Rica won. England goes home, and Italy is in a precarious situation as well. There is not an insignificant chance that only Germany of the "Big European Five" (I personally consider the Netherlands to be far more deserving of being in the five than England, France or Italy; heck, even Croatia is not all that far from it) qualifies for the next round.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
After years of mediocre performance, France is playing just like in the old times.  :o

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(I meant to post right after Brazil's match against Mexico earlier this week, but haven't had the time, so I'll say my thoughts on that now.)

For Brazil's second match, I noticed the referee ignored quite a lot of fouls. At least with that match a tie, all Brazil needs to do is not lose against Cameroon (and against a team like that, I'm expecting a team like Brazil to dominate). That means Croatia's upcoming match against Mexico is a must-win, but considering the kind of goalie that Mexico has, I'm honestly doubtful of Croatia's chances.

In a group against three former champions, Costa Rica is proving to be quite a surprising competitor. Since they're now advancing, that means at least three former champions have been knocked out of the group stage: Spain, England, and either Italy or Uruguay (we'll see how that match plays out).

Tomorrow, I'll watch the match between Germany and Ghana, and the following day I'll watch USA vs Portugal. Also, anyone focused on this group (Group G) should keep an eye on Group H, because it is the winners of that group that will be going up against the winners of this group at the first round of the knockout stage. (I can't help but think of how interesting it would be if USA were go up against Russia. I mean, when's the last time we saw those teams compete? :lol: )

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls