The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Journey of the Brave

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I have been watching The Land Before Time films since I the Original. I found Journey of Brave to be one of my favorites. I want to share what I thought were the best and worst moments of the movie.

Stinky Camouflage

While many decry this was copied and taken from LBT V: The Mysterious Island, this different from stinky place Chomper hid his friends in. It served a similar purpose, but the fact Little Foot thought of using the stinky food to dull their scent at expense of hygiene and to angst of Cera, is remarkable. For first time, the Gang has thought of what do before encountering Sharpteeth. Normally they run into them, and its react on the fly, knock rocks, a log, or use vine to trip the Sharptooth, but this time it was preemptive. Of course this is ruined by the fact the whole Gang in reckless abandon jumps into the pool of water and the stink goes away.

Cesar Petrie

The diggers making Petrie their leader was not only humorous, but it briefly showed a side of Petrie we rarely see, confidence. Petrie flies down with a crown of leaves and behaves as one who has self esteem. While Little Foot and Ducky have always believed in Petrie, the diggers gave Petrie something the Gang never has. The diggers liked Petrie for albeit selfish reasons (food), but it was simple, all Petrie had to do was get them more food, while with his friends he tends to be challenged and belittled (by Cera mostly). Petrie needs this urging from his friends, but sometimes "Poor Petrie," just needs to be believed in without the grumbling (Cera) and heavy expectations. It was disappointing the Diggers adopted a new leader, Parasaurolophus, in front of Petrie. It would have been better if they couldn't get over Petrie, and in sequel they appear again shouting "Leader!"

The Climax

As a reviewer I watched noted, this is first time all of the Gang's strengths are used in one setting. Cera must ram the rock to loose water, Petrie is look out in sky for lava rock missiles, while Spike waits to help move the rock with Etta and Little Foot. Only Ducky doesn't have a role, since swimming in lava doesn't work. My only complaint is that because Little Foot and the Gang with Etta was able to save *Spoilers* it defeated the whole purpose of Gandpa Longneck, Topsy, Chomper, and Ruby. What should have happened is that Little Foot and His Gang's efforts was effective to delay the Lava, but it would take Grandpa Longneck and Topsy to help move the rock on *Spoilers* leg. Chomper and Ruby then could have been part of confronting the Carnotaurus and Feather Sharpteeth, Chomper convincing the Feather Sharpteeth into a trap with Grandpa and Topsy knocking thme cold, and then a final battle with Carnotaurus (Horned Sharptooth) with Etta dropping stones on the Carnotaur. This all would have happened at the end, after saving *Spoilers* and *Spoilers* would help in fight using his tail as whip. The Gang of Five would mostly do what they did in LBT X: The Great Longneck Migration, being spectators or getting in way.

Horned Sharptooth

The Horned Sharptooth (Carnotaurus) is first Sharptooth to jump high like the Original, and to have tenacity that is almost supernatural. He even chases The Gang of Four into a cave which pays homage to the Original Sharptooth giving chase  in the cave and Ducky's famous screem in LBT 1988 It is a shame Etta so easily gets the Gang free of the peril, that is why I think in the Climax there should have been another encounter with the Carnotaurus, which would require Grandpa Longneck, Topsy, *Spoilers*, and Etta to defeat the Horned Sharptooth.  

Wild Arms

I didn't find Wild Arms too annoying. He wasn't LBT Jar Jar Binks. I like how he candidly said, "So you want me to lead you back across, through the land of Featherd Sharpteeth, and to the Fire Mountain, eh no!" At least he honest, but because he's bullied into going it makes for some good fun.

Chomper and Ruby

Since LBT V I have been hoping for Chomper's return, and while he certainly was in the Series, this is his first movie since The Mysterious Island. For fans of Ruby I am sure it is exciting that she is now canon. My biggest issue with Chomper and Ruby is they were neglected. It is odd they didn't go with the Gang of Five, or knew nothing about the whole plan Little Foot had. It seems the writer wanted to, for fans to include these two beloved characters, but they did the atypical, focus on Gang of Five like the earlier installments. Then Chomper and Ruby essentially become redundant and useless, save for Chomper taking over for a fainted Wild Arms and smelling the Gang of Five's trail (a plot device when writer forgot O yeah, I need to justify Chomper and Ruby's existence in this film). The truth is Journey of Brave shines best with the Gang of Five, while Chomper and Ruby feel like add ons, like Venom in Spider-Man 3 to make fans happy. As aforementioned, I am glad to see my favorite gentle Sharptooth, but he was underutilized, and Ruby didn't really add anything to the adventure.

The Songs

Sadly, the songs in this installment are the least catchy, and the lyrics are too simplistic. The only exception is Reba's "Look to the Light" which has a hymn like patterns, listen to it in the credits, there is choir.

All Four Terrain Types

This is first Land Before Time to feature all four climates: Desert (storm, Land of Feathered Sharpteeth), Tropical (Great Valley), Volcanic (Climax), and Waterland (underground cave waterfall).I found the Crystal Cave water way and ride to be amusing and enjoyable. It was a nice moment of light fun before the Climax. The Land of the Feathered Sharpteeth or Monument Valley was the best suspenseful location I've seen in a long time (only suprassed by 1988 film's terrain). In The Day of the Flyers, the Gang of Five encounters a similar location when they run into the Spinosaurus, but the location is two dimensional, while in Journey of the Brave its more complex and exciting. The Volcanic part was lackluster and one dimensional. All tension was overcome too quickly, and Petrie barely got a chance to serve in his role, not once did he say "Watch out! Fire rocks!"

:oops ***Spoilers*** :oops

Bron and Little Foot

I was pleased Bron returned shortly after LBT X, only four movies later. Little Foot resolve to save his Papa is admirable, and watching him wrestle with resting because he knows he needs to find his dad is refreshing. This reminds us of Little Foot's Mom, who he lost and so Little Foot doesn't want to go through that again. None of the other parts of Gang of Five really know loss in same way (nothing on screen), and so Little Foot's passionate plan to save his dad makes this installment majorly connected to 1988 Original.

Etta (Guest Star)

Reba Macintire is one of better quest stars, superior especially to Chris Rock in the "Wisdom of Friends." It is nice to have a supporting character who is Pterosaur. Certainly we had our fill of Ptersaurs in "The Day of the Flyers" but its been a while since there was solitary flyer, not since "The Stone of Coldfire." I personally liked who Etta had some memory problems (I know someone who does same thing) and kept references her sister (herself in third person).

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith