The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Stephen King

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I never claimed to be a Trekie. I don't know very much about Star Trek. I liked "The first contact" and most of the other Star Trek movies I saw, but I guess I would exaggerate if I claimed to be a Star Trek fan. I guess I prefer Star Wars, but I guess I will never really understand why many Trekies and Star Wars fans can't "coexist in peace". This video is hilarious though :lol:

We got far from our original topic, didn't we?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, forget it just me considering the irony

Indeed we have Malte (just to rap it up, I prefer Star Wars to Star Trek as well, but the old movies not the new ones, although they do have some quality, they're just not my cup of tea, anyway if there's a sci-fi series I like it's Stargate).

As for Stephen King, one of the things I like the most about him is that the characters are very down-to-earth, they act like normal people do, and they all have a mind of their own. You see very little larger than life characters like Songoku, and more normal people who are just trying to survive because evil is after them.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Aug 2 2007 on  10:06 AM
This is the problem with todays youth they are so hooked up on new technologies they don't bother to read anymore, oh well, it's their loss.
I agree with that. I'm suprised most kids around my town even know what a book is with all the cell phones and such I see flashed around constantly. They have my sympathies. :(

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Well, what you gonna do? I just hope that there will always be the little few who won't look back on books. There will always be hope.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
There will always be hope.

I sure hope so. :(

ArtemisPanthar

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://artemispanthar.deviantart.com
I like Stephan King. Great horror author and all around writer. His writing is very authentic and...bare - perfect for horror. There's no flowery language, there's just the grit. Flowery language would really muddy the mood (so I'm not saying he can't write flowery, but that he chooses not to for genre) and his stories are quite scary.

I really want to read "The Stand" because I loved the miniseries, but it's so long and I have so little time to read that I fear by the time I get back to it I'll have forgotten what happened XD One day, though....

I like his short stories. They're like experiments. They can be fantastic (like "1408") or silly (like "The Mangler") but they're just overall entertaining!

As a side note, I may like him so much because I've found I agree alot with his theories on horror XD

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My favorite author and writing idol :D!  My favorite King book is "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon."  Last fall, I actually visited the setting of that novel, White Mountain National Forest, on a New England roadtrip (yes, I'm a frequent traveller).  Gorgeous, yet it had the spooky vibe the novel gives it.  I fell in love with "1408."  Love that movie, BTW :yes.  It deals with dark spiritual matters and the dark side of human nature, which are what draw me to King's works.  Sadly, I was disappointed in the latest installment, "The Mist."  The movie seemed to destroy the story.  A fact I read was King had originally left the ending ambiguous, as in the survivors just drive off and the movie ends.  Hey, leaves room for fanfiction :P:.  However, the director of the film, with King's permission, changed to ending to how it was: the main character has a handgun with four bullets, but there are five survivors.  He blows away the other four, including his five year-old son :o  :cry2.  He then gets out of the car to surrender to the monsters, only for the mist to clear.  It then shows the National Guard destroying the monsters' corpses.  The film ends with the main character having a nervous breakdown.  Totally mindnumbing ending.  I would too, if I killed anyone especially my kid.  Anyhoo, great author, great stories, keep 'em coming King :D!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anyhoo, great author, great stories, keep 'em coming King :D!
If ever he doesn't "his greatest fan", inspired by his work, might have the funny idea of abducting and drugging him in order to force him to continue his writing :lol

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think ya read "Misery" too much :lol.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I have read A Buick 8 and it TOTALLY turned me off of his work. I look at some of his books and they seem recycled.

I'm not a real fan of horror (except Poe) and some things go better with a little supernatural.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very recently I watched "Stand by me", a movie based on the Steven King novel "the body". We had read that book at school and also watched the movie, but back then I could see only the beginning as I had to appear in court that day as a witness of a car accident. So till now I never saw the end of it.
Notably the German student's version of the book had been kind of "adapted" to spare the teachers some embarrassment before their class of pubescent kids. :lol
The most notable example is a scene where in the original book (and the movie) the main character has a leech sucking blood from his testicles (ouch) :x In the version for the juvenile German students it was changed to the leech sucking from an ear of the character. Funnily we had a Stephen King fan in our class who revealed that fraud to us. Our English teacher dealt with this very competent though and was not shy to teach us the vocabularies for human reproductive organs :lol

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Stephen King is an awesome author in my opinion, and one of my personel favorites of his was the book "IT".

hoin1585

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wretch.cc/blog/hoin1585
Stephen King is my favorite author   ;)

I read many his books

Like Cell , On Writing , Misery ,The Green Mile , Nightmares & Dreamscapes , Bag of Bones....

But my favorite is The Dark Tower series  :rolleyes:

Timehopper

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have only read one novel by him and that's Carrie. It's more scarier than the movie in my opinion.

Other than that, I've seen movie adaptations of his novels like Misery and The Shining.

Highsoar

• Big flyer
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I love The Stand. I have the complete uncut and I'm collecting the comics every month. The movie was okay, but mostly I just like it for Gary Sinise. They're redoing it, and I hope it'll be better.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Oh yes, I like this guy. I got into him from reading HP Lovecraft and other sci-fi horrors who apparently inspired him, and I can see the link. Both Lovecraft and King usually have very ordinary characters, never explain too much about the monsters, and they both have the concept of characters going insane if they look at the monsters or their true forms.

I've read a few of his short stories from the Nightmares and Dreamscapes book (My favourite being "Chattery Teeth"), and I'm planning on reading It. I've also seen a few film versions, like Stephen King's It (Which probably features Tim Curry's creepiest appearance as a demonic clown), and The Mist, which was amazing. Both great films.