The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Beware of "System Smart Security"!

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't know any of this happened with you Malte.Hope to see you on MSN again bro

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 14 2011 on  02:48 AM
I won't get my computer back before next week and as of now they seem to be unable to say anything about it at all :(

That's appalling.  Even if the whole system needs to be wiped out and all your data needs to be backed up and transferred, it'll take 1-2 hours tops.  I can clear most infections within 15 minutes.  I wish I could have done it over the webcam Malte.  We could have gotten it done very quickly - at least compared to this incompetent shop.  Even if they're backed up, I can work on 5-6 computers at a time with this issue easy.  There's no way they're THAT backed up.  I can pop a few dozen computers out my ass in a single day just by myself without any employees.  Of course, I'm set up properly and know what I'm doing.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sure his computer will be fine when he get's it back.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 14 2011 on  03:46 PM
That's appalling.  Even if the whole system needs to be wiped out and all your data needs to be backed up and transferred, it'll take 1-2 hours tops.
Well 1-2 hours is a bit of an exaggeration I think. It could take longer than that, depending on what equipment he has and the size of the drive. I doubt it'd take a week, though.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
In my experience, 95% of people have 10gb of files or less when you're just backing up their pictures, documents, movies, etc.  Transfer time is about 30 minutes tops.  Then you'll need 45 minutes to install Windows, 15 minutes to install drivers and set up the software, and another 30 minutes to transfer the files back to the computer after formatting.  These are maximum times here.  A decent machine can install Windows 7 in 20 minutes or less.  Some machines require only a few drivers, meaning driver install time can be as low as 5 minutes.  And the time it takes to transfer data depends on how much space the files take up and how many individual files there are.  For example, 100 files taking up 20gb of space will transfer faster than 5,000 files taking up 5gb of space.  I get a backup, format, and driver reinstall done in 1 hour quite frequently actually.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In spite of the announcement I got on wednesday that it would take till next week I did get my computer back yesterday after all. I can't say I'm particularly happy now though since they really did wipe out the whole system and all of my data (which includes a lot of the material I prepared for lectures to be held in September, mails, MSN chats, as well as a higher resolution version of my most recent LBT image, most of the (not very far) LBT story I had been writing etc.) are lost.
I never seem to learn to always save such data at another place too :bang

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear that. But at least you got the computer back.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I know how it feels, Malte. I lost all my files on my old computer back in 2007. I back up my computer about once a month now, just in case. An external hard drive is a pretty good investment. It seems time consuming, I know, and most of the time I just don't think about doing it, but it'll be worth it in the end saving all of your work and files. At least you got your computer back now, and can maybe start making monthly backups or so. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Glad you got your pc back.  Terrible to hear about everything being wiped.  The idea about the external hdd may be good if you want to back up stuff once a week, twice or once a month, ect.  Personally I save a lot of stuff on discs, but that is not for everyone.

At least you have your computer back.  That is something.