The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meaning of the LBT characters' names

action9000 · 122 · 42274

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 15 2008 on  12:31 PM
That page also claims same as some (but not all) official sources that Petrie was a Pterodactyl while other official sources make him a Pteranodon (which may be more likely considering the fact that unlike Petrie Pterodactyl had no crest).

Pterodactyl is not a species it is an order. In that case Rinkus would also be a Pterodactyl. Petrie is a Pteranodon.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
That official page calls him a Pterodactyl though. The name of the suborder which may be confused with the species Pterodactylus would be Pterodactyloidea. With regard to the oder the term Pterodactyl is often used as a synonym for Pterosaur which covers about every "flyer" and is therefore about as unclear a term as it would be if they referred to Ducky as a "Hadrosaur" (she certainly belongs to that family).

Sharptooh #436

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Did it ever occur to you that they could have just randomly chosen those names?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It might be the case with some names, but with so many names being an obvious reference to the name of a characters species and with the information that Littlefoot's original name Thunderfoot was changed only because it was perceived as too "intimidating", it doesn't seem likely that any of the names that resembles the name of a species does so by coincidence.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does seem that in most cases they do look at the scientific name to get ideas for a character's name.  It's a good enough idea instead of trying to make up names from scratch for all the characters.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i don't know, if this fits, but since this topic is about names, well... I recently read a fanfic (The Great War by Reddragonforce one at fanfiction.net in case you know it) in which littlefoot adapts the name >Alando<. the writer however, says there is a reason for him writing this and gives the tip to search at Wikipedia.

I definitely don't like the change of the name, but I want to know the reason.

Does anyone know?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can only guess that this author may suppose Littlefoot to be an Alamosaurus (Alando sounding similar to Alamo). The theory of Littlefoot's being an Alamo- rather than an Apatosaurus is held up by some due to the fact that Alamosaurus was one of the few species of sauropods (longnecks) who still lived at the end of the Cretaceous period, the time that is in which Cera's and Ducky's species existed. Science and the land before time of course don't always mix and one should not take "scientific" discussion of LBT too serious unless one wants to become frustrated.
Views on fanfictions and their content are a matter of continuous debate among LBT fans :p

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i understand and i indeed found out, that i have to switch off logical thinking when it comes to lbt. i just thought it is about something i didn't know INSIDE the lbt universe.

thank you.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Dinos from different periods being together is pretty common in stories with dinosaurs in them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is not always easy to "switch off" the scientific part of your mind, but so long it is not taken too serious, including scientific elements into LBT discussion can be quite interesting too.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, it can be.  Having at least some scientific elements & background can enhance certain things.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
for science, it might be like that, though difficult.

i have no specific example, but there were situations in the movies, where i thought:...WHAT? because for someone, who's mind is so full of logic that is really hard.
(some facts can be seen in the trivia of the wikipedia entries of each movie)

no offense to the movies or anyone. just my personal experience.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i have no specific example, but there were situations in the movies, where i thought:...WHAT? because for someone, who's mind is so full of logic that is really hard.
Here is an example: how about a Tsunami rolling from the coast towards the open sea in LBT 5?

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
just to name one, yes. finding out more, would make another movie marathon necessary. but that isn't what's important.
only important thing is the heart.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Does this topic tell you what the LBT characters' names mean, and do you think we can post information on new characters for the LBT series and you guys come up with the names for them?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nope. This thread is about the origin of the names of existing LBT characters. From which species etc. those names have been derived etc. It is not a topic for fanfiction names, which would rather be found in the fanfiction section.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 2 2009 on  02:53 AM
Nope. This thread is about the origin of the names of existing LBT characters. From which species etc. those names have been derived etc. It is not a topic for fanfiction names, which would rather be found in the fanfiction section.
Sorry :( .

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nothing to apologize for :)
You asked a question and got an answer. No harm done on any side.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 3 2009 on  06:53 AM
Nothing to apologize for :)
You asked a question and got an answer. No harm done on any side.
Thank You :wub: .